!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Recent Forum Posts

looking to start a career in Photography by dondy.menelo
[Yesterday at 04:59:10 AM]

Club Filipina Magazine Japan by dondy.menelo
[Yesterday at 04:53:34 AM]

Please recommend canon camera semi pro by dondy.menelo
[December 13, 2018, 01:26:48 PM]

Ibat-ibang kababaihan... by rarevision
[December 13, 2018, 02:02:55 AM]

Photos Around Asia by mcCoy!
[December 10, 2018, 03:07:04 PM]

Cityscapes + Architecture Photographs? Share Here by mcCoy!
[December 06, 2018, 12:01:48 PM]

Mga Sikat... celebrity photos by rarevision
[November 27, 2018, 12:08:24 AM]

Life in New York by lenslover
[November 20, 2018, 02:31:45 AM]

What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2017? by ninia
[November 18, 2018, 01:59:53 PM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by mcCoy!
[November 15, 2018, 01:29:06 PM]

Author Topic: where should the uv filter be placed?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline big blue cheese

• what's your hurry, superman?
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 474
  • up, up, and away!
  • Camera: nikon
  • Field: Landscape
  • Model: d5000
  • Nickname: jojo
where should the uv filter be placed?
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »
if for example i have a lens with a filter thread of 52mm and all of my filters have a 77mm thread, so obviously i would buy a 52mm-->77mm step up ring.

do you put a uv filter on the lens itself or on the step up ring? if the price of the uv filter is not of a concern, where should the uv filter be placed so that the image quality is not affected? where would vignetting be less likely to happen?

.....or it really makes no difference at all?  :D

thanks in advance  ;)
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then we summon the will, they soon become inevitable"
Christopher Reeve

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

where should the uv filter be placed?
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »

Offline FITF154

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 0
Re: where should the uv filter be placed?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 07:35:59 AM »
id rather buy a new dedicated UV  ;D  UV is a bit cheap though.
Canon 60d | Canon S95 |  Canon 10-22mm F3.5-5.6 |Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 85mm F1.8 | Sigma 30mm F1.4 | YN 560

Offline never_1007

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 30
  • Camera: Nikon
  • Model: D90
  • Nickname: Never
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:20 AM »
well for me, ginagawa ko lang to pag IR shoot at gagamitin ko yung kitlens ko to avoid hotspot. so bali 18-55mm kitlens + 52-77mm stepup ring + 77mm IR filter :D

***note: di na po me gumagamit ng UV on shoot, bawas image quality kasi, I only put UV filter on pag itatabi ko na si cam sa drybox :D.. so more on protection na lang yung mga UVs ko :D
no one ever discovers the depths of his own LONELINESS

Offline ricardo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:52:54 PM »
The difference between your filter thread and lens thread is quite big man. That will impact on your shot. I'd also recommend buying a filter.

Offline big blue cheese

• Robot
  • up, up, and away!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
................ I'd also recommend buying a filter.
sir, will you buy a 52mm uv filter so that your set up would be:    lens---uv filter----step up ring --- 77mm filter

or

will you buy a 77mm uv filter so that your set up would be:         lens --- step up ring --- uv filter --- 77 mm filter?
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then we summon the will, they soon become inevitable"
Christopher Reeve

Offline joszef

• Forever Newbie
  • PiPho Org Member
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 172
    • My Flickr Page
  • Camera: EOS, Canonet, FujiFilm
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: 50D, G-III QL 17, X10
  • Nickname: zeph
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 08:19:03 PM »
well for me, ginagawa ko lang to pag IR shoot at gagamitin ko yung kitlens ko to avoid hotspot. so bali 18-55mm kitlens + 52-77mm stepup ring + 77mm IR filter :D

***note: di na po me gumagamit ng UV on shoot, bawas image quality kasi, I only put UV filter on pag itatabi ko na si cam sa drybox :D.. so more on protection na lang yung mga UVs ko :D

bro, don't you think it defeats your purpose of having to put the UV filter on when in fact naka store naman yung lens sa drybox? what element do you have to protect it from since it's neatly stored inside?  :) ba't di mo na lang ilagay yung lens cap - I bet it's more than enough to protect the glass when it's neatly stacked inside the dry box..

on topic:

I buy dedicated UV filters to all my lenses meaning kung anong filter thread sya yun din ang binibili ko - besides a 52mm UV filter would only cost Php 800.00 at Kenko Pro-1D na yun.  I would not advise cheaper brands though, kasi as with my personal experience using a Cokin UV filter, me ghostings.

btw, I don't stack my UV filter with another filter i.e. a CPL - I would rather take out the UV first before using another filter. 
Any phone is a mobile phone.....when thrown!
KILL nothing but TIME. LEAVE nothing but FOOTPRINTS. TAKE nothing but PICTURES. BRING nothing but MEMORIES.

Offline quarterback

• "be open.. be ready.."
  • PiPho Org Member
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 11
  • "never stop exploring..."
  • Camera: EOS
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Nickname: norman
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »
do you put a uv filter on the lens itself or on the step up ring?

i think you should put the uv filter on the lens instead on the step-up ring.. you want the glass element of your lens as close as possible on your filter.. to reduce flaring.. i think..  :) :) :) also, whereas if the other way around, you will eventually remove your step-up ring, for some reasons, thus exposing you lens' front element to dust, fingerprints, etc..
550D | 7D | 50 | 10-18 | 17-50 | 24-70 | 85 | 70-200 | 560II | 580EX II

Offline big blue cheese

• Robot
  • up, up, and away!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:30:02 PM »
I buy dedicated UV filters to all my lenses meaning kung anong filter thread sya yun din ang binibili ko - besides a 52mm UV filter would only cost Php 800.00 at Kenko Pro-1D na yun.  I would not advise cheaper brands though, kasi as with my personal experience using a Cokin UV filter, me ghostings.

btw, I don't stack my UV filter with another filter i.e. a CPL - I would rather take out the UV first before using another filter.
joszef, thank you very much for your input.....now i know  :D

i think you should put the uv filter on the lens instead on the step-up ring.. you want the glass element of your lens as close as possible on your filter.. to reduce flaring.. i think..     also, whereas if the other way around, you will eventually remove your step-up ring, for some reasons, thus exposing you lens' front element to dust, fingerprints, etc..
@quarterback...that is a good point that you have raised. at least when i remove the step up ring, i would be smudging my uv filter instead of the glass....thank you for this  ;)
Christopher Reeve

Offline quarterback

• "be open.. be ready.."
  • PiPho Org Member
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 11
  • "never stop exploring..."
  • Camera: EOS
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Nickname: norman
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:49:43 PM »
no prob sir big blue cheese.. :)

if the price of the uv filter is not of a concern, where should the uv filter be placed so that the image quality is not affected? where would vignetting be less likely to happen?

placement of the uv filter less matters, especially when you're stacking it with other filters i. e. cpl, nd's, etc.. vignetting is always there, particularly if your lens is wide open..

like sir joszef's point, he's not into stacking filters, probably to avoid vignetting.. you might want to consider that also..

but like what you've mentioned, if the price is not of a concern, you can always opt to use slim or ultra thin filters..
550D | 7D | 50 | 10-18 | 17-50 | 24-70 | 85 | 70-200 | 560II | 580EX II

Tags:

Get this spot now imagesmith photography Two Stops Over