!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Author Topic: The camera body that guarantees No upgrade for at least 5 years  (Read 4507 times)

Offline caterpillar

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 36
    • none
The camera body that guarantees No upgrade for at least 5 years
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »
  I've not been shooting a lot lately due to work and other things. The last time was last week with my brother's Canon P&S. I did a check on what I have and except for a body upgrade, basically I am set to do most types of shoots.

But I got to thinking, what type of body would I like that will likely not make me upgrade for at least 5 years? What would make you not upgrade for 5 years in terms of camera?  So, I've drawn some specs or list of features that would likely make me get this body but not upgrade for at least 5 years but still be happy with it.

- Clean ISO up to 3200
  - Usable 5x7 ISO at least 12,800
  - 8fps shooting at jpeg up to 4-6 sec of continuous shooting
  - 1080 video at 60p/30p/24p
  - 720 or 640 rez video at 120fps or more.
  - small body like the NEX or m4/3 bodies
  - lighter than the smallest and typical dslr
  - articulating screen
  - EVF or have the option to but an EVF
  - a flash socket to be able to put regular flashes on
  - wireless flash trigger on body
  - excellent jpeg engine like the 5n
  - better dynamic range like the 5n
 - in-body HDR, distortion/CA correction, panoramic stitching
  - low light multiple shooting-integrating to a jpeg like the 5n
  - Body must at least be U$500 but no more than U$1,000.
  - Interchangeable lens but with option to use none-brand lenses
  - has focus peaking
  - touch screen LCD at the back for faster AF selection
  - microphone jack for audio
  - way to override audio agc and go manual in video
  - a semi-robust and water resist body for the price
  - gps and geotagging optional
  - ability to wirelessly transfer shots from camera to notebook or internet optional
  - The camera company has less chance of folding or going bankrupt

The closest right now to this is the NEX-5n/7 or the GX1. I don't know what Canon will bring later on, so I won't speculate. I also know that technology moves on, and there are more goodies to be had in future camera bodies. But there is a minimum that we all want and if only that is available, we would be tempted or less inclined to upgrade. That body can be our mainstay for a while. At least in 5 years time, any future improvements will likely be palpable and it is indeed time to upgrade one's body.

That is what I think w/c will make me stay for 5 years at least. What's yours?  ???
--- Caterpillar ---

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

The camera body that guarantees No upgrade for at least 5 years
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »

Offline gqtuazon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 219
  • Camera: Nikon
  • Field: Landscape
  • Model: D8HE
  • Nickname: Glenn
Re: The camera body that guarantees No upgrade for at least 5 years
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
Very interesting topic with specific requirements. You are likely to get different responses from everyone since most people will have a slightly different preference.

My requirements are pretty simple and I have the camera that I need that will last me for a while now.  I have a Nikon D700 and it meets my requirements.  When I started with my first DSLR, it was all about having longer lenses, larger LCD, cleaner images at higher ISO levels, etc. since it looked cool and it was the "in" thing. A lot have changed since then.  I am just an enthusiast so getting the latest and greatest is not a priority for me but I like having the intermediate equipment that can deliver good IQ.

Keep in mind that the end product, results, expectations or goal is to capture memories, special events for my family.  It is what my wife and I value so that we have something to look, cherish and talk about as we get older in life.

Video is an optional item but I'm not a video guy.  I had purchased several video recorders but I'm just not into it.

Lens selection and lighting system is also important but I have that covered already.  So I think I have the camera body that will last me for the next 5 years which also have lasted for almost 3 years now.  I don't think the newer camera models with faster processor or higher MP will make me jump right away.  What I want is more time to enjoy and shoot since I don't get to shoot that often either.  Having said that, my needs are definitely different than yours but as long as we are satisfied with our equipment, then, we already have the best camera.

Offline dtmateojr

• Circulan
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:52:23 PM »
To dream is free :) You are asking too much. Even a $10K camera now wont satisfy your requirements. The toughest requirement is the 5-year no upgrade. You may no longer be able to buy a compatible SD/CF card 5 years from now. Smartmedia and XD for example are relatively dead.

Buy a film camera instead. It will outlast you.

Offline earlchoa

• Circulan
  • Liked: 1
    • www.earlchoaphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:35:15 PM »
I'd say get an m9, but that's unrealistic...

I think the gx1 will be the best fit, although it doesn't have an articulating lcd, I still prefer to use that instead of a sony ( I always disliked sony's mentality of releasing proprietary equipment, from hotshoe, cables, etc )

or if you aren't in a rush you could always wait for fuji's next release, since they already announced that they would be releasing an ILC in 2012, and there are rumors that canon will be releasing another 18mp aps-c dslr in feb.

Offline kazer

• --
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 6
  • =) =) =) =) =)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:50:12 PM »
I'd say for me a Sony nex 5n/7 ( I really like the sweep panorama!, but i enjoy more to stitch panorama myself :)

I'm a casual user and not so really techy with the camera.

I think the nex has all what I NEED but not all i WANT .
Its just a matter of Contentment and priorities! :)

Offline rasta

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »
Cool thread. Here's what i would like for a camera body i can use for five years ASSUMING that what i like photographing now would still be what i will be photographing in the next 5 years AND i can keep my existing lens lineup :)

Starting with caterpillar's original list:

- Clean ISO up to 3200
  - Usable 5x7 ISO at least 12,800
  - 8fps shooting at jpeg up to 4-6 sec of continuous shooting i don't really shoot sports
  - 1080 video at 60p/30p/24p i'm not into video shooting with an SLR
  - 720 or 640 rez video at 120fps or more. same as above
  - small body like the NEX or m4/3 bodies - sure. might be awkward, though, with larger lenses
  - lighter than the smallest and typical dslr - sure. might be awkward, though, with larger lenses
  - articulating screen i can live without this
  - EVF or have the option to but an EVF - does this mean electronic viewfinder? If so, sure, if the camera isn't an SLR or is mirrorless or something
  - wireless flash trigger on body - CLS with RF would be cool, if compatible with existing speedlights
  - excellent jpeg engine like the 5n
  - better dynamic range like the 5n
 - in-body HDR, distortion/CA correction, panoramic stitching - cool. not really into HDR
  - Body must at least be U$500 but no more than U$1,000.
  - has focus peaking - cool if it works in the viewfinder too
  - touch screen LCD at the back for faster AF selection

- ability to wirelessly transfer shots from camera to notebook or internet optional

additional stuff i'd like:
- low power consumption para environment friendly
- in body VR

Offline rasta

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 12:17:29 AM »
You may no longer be able to buy a compatible SD/CF card 5 years from now. Smartmedia and XD for example are relatively dead.

Maybe this won't be a real problem. All of the CFs i have are approaching 5 years and they haven't failed yet. Perhaps the reason why smartmedia and xD are "dead" is because they are proprietary formats. SD/CF are not proprietary :)

Offline iampoch

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 8
  • Camera: Olympus, Panasonic
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: OMD-EM5, GX1
  • Nickname: Poch
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 12:20:32 AM »
@ caterpillar:

I'll also use your specs as a starting point:

- Clean ISO up to 6400
  - Usable 5x7 ISO at least 25,600 (yeah, I'm a high ISO *toink*)
  - articulating screen
  - EVF and OVF option They each have distinct advantages. I'd like the option to use either in a camera body. I've seen the advantages of EVF and I want that in a DSLR.
  - excellent jpeg engine
  - better dynamic range
  - Body must be no more than U$1,000 (body only).
  - has focus peaking
  - touch screen LCD at the back for faster AF selection (optional, I'm still on the fence on this)
  - very high shutter count limit, either that or a good electronic shutter instead of a mechanical one.

Things I don't necessarily need:

- 1080 video at 60p/30p/24p[/s]
Freedom is the right of all sentient photographers.
Olympus OMD-EM5 | Panasonic Lumix GX-1 | 14mm 2.5 | 45mm 1.8 | 25mm 1.4

Offline caterpillar

• Robot
    • none
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 01:45:41 AM »
Very interesting topic with specific requirements. You are likely to get different responses from everyone since most people will have a slightly different preference.

My requirements are pretty simple and I have the camera that I need that will last me for a while now.  I have a Nikon D700 and it meets my requirements.  When I started with my first DSLR, it was all about having longer lenses, larger LCD, cleaner images at higher ISO levels, etc. since it looked cool and it was the "in" thing. A lot have changed since then.  I am just an enthusiast so getting the latest and greatest is not a priority for me but I like having the intermediate equipment that can deliver good IQ.

Keep in mind that the end product, results, expectations or goal is to capture memories, special events for my family.  It is what my wife and I value so that we have something to look, cherish and talk about as we get older in life.

Video is an optional item but I'm not a video guy.  I had purchased several video recorders but I'm just not into it.

Lens selection and lighting system is also important but I have that covered already.  So I think I have the camera body that will last me for the next 5 years which also have lasted for almost 3 years now.  I don't think the newer camera models with faster processor or higher MP will make me jump right away.  What I want is more time to enjoy and shoot since I don't get to shoot that often either.  Having said that, my needs are definitely different than yours but as long as we are satisfied with our equipment, then, we already have the best camera.

Glenn,

Thank you for sharing with us your opinion and insight. :)

Well, that is why I opened a thread. I could have kept it to myself, but I wondered what other people thought of as important to them? I figure, it would not just make for great reading, but also an eye opener. I strongly suspect that I may have overlooked some other things that others, because of their own particular needs, may reveal to us. :)
--- Caterpillar ---

Offline caterpillar

• Robot
    • none
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 01:50:47 AM »
To dream is free :) You are asking too much. Even a $10K camera now wont satisfy your requirements. The toughest requirement is the 5-year no upgrade. You may no longer be able to buy a compatible SD/CF card 5 years from now. Smartmedia and XD for example are relatively dead.

Buy a film camera instead. It will outlast you.

Well, my 20d and 400d are over 5 years. My laptop just celebrated 5 years and I had to force-retire it even if it is still functioning only because the keyboard is shot and editing HD video takes too long to render in a 2.0ghz core2duo of 2006.

I'm not worried about the memory cards. Didn't pass through those memories you listed and even if I did, it was in a time that there wasn't even SD. That's over 10 years ago. We only need to stick to 5 years ;)

Oh, I think a U$500-950 camera will satisfy my needs. Maybe not all in those list will be met, but then again, I know myself. I know my gears. For an old bloke who still has a 20d and some old but good lenses, that says a lot about how I look at equipment. ;)

--- Caterpillar ---

Offline caterpillar

• Robot
    • none
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 01:57:22 AM »
Maybe this won't be a real problem. All of the CFs i have are approaching 5 years and they haven't failed yet. Perhaps the reason why smartmedia and xD are "dead" is because they are proprietary formats. SD/CF are not proprietaryto  :)

The smartmedia died because it is limited to 2mb, if I am not mistaken. They created the SD to address the weakness of SM.

XD is proprietary as you correctly surmised is used  by mainly 2 companies - Olympus and Fuji. Of course when you make a standard, you have to make it open and you will only succeed if the rest of the market followed. It being proprietary and Oly and Fuji not really making a dent in the camera market means the standard is dead.

There is another standard that is still alive but really is just there because they are too stubborn to retire it - MS or Memory Stick of Sony. There are variants and consternation as there is MS duo and other types, but of course, the handwriting is on the wall as Sony is using SD and SD upgrades alone or with MS. In time, they will just slowly not put MS in their cameras. And then just like Olympus, they'll just announce its retirement.

--- Caterpillar ---

Offline caterpillar

• Robot
    • none
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 02:05:37 AM »
I'd say get an m9, but that's unrealistic...

I think the gx1 will be the best fit, although it doesn't have an articulating lcd, I still prefer to use that instead of a sony ( I always disliked sony's mentality of releasing proprietary equipment, from hotshoe, cables, etc )

or if you aren't in a rush you could always wait for fuji's next release, since they already announced that they would be releasing an ILC in 2012, and there are rumors that canon will be releasing another 18mp aps-c dslr in feb.

I like the GX1, at least on paper. The lack of a flip LCD is heartbreaking, but if the other aspects of it is good, maybe

The GX1 is still a contender. Mind you, I also like the GF3, so that says a lot about Panny and me ;)

Now if they make a GH3, that might sway me again. Fortunately, or is it unfortunately, we don't even have a whimper of what the GH3 might be. All is silent in the Panasonic camp and all eyes, at this time is focused on the new kid on the block, the GX1.

I am not too keen on another dslr. I want something small. I want a MILC. Of course, I am realistic. The specs I listed, I think I'll see those in 2-3 years from now. What I can only wish from Canon is they somehow release or give us a clue as to what their MILC will be like or if they plan to release one in 2012. I still have some good Canon lenses. I really don't want to go the switching route. It's not just expensive, but it is time consuming to sell your gear, and then save up again to make up the price difference to go the other way, and you know that sometimes, you can't just replace that same FL or lens with a counterpart on the other side. :(

In many ways, I am itching to get a new body. Unfortunately, if Canon doesn't fess up with a MILC, I may have to go Sony Nex or Panasonic. I won't dump my Canon dslr yet. I might sell a lens or two but I'll basically keep it. The MILC isn't mature yet, so there is a need to straddle both systems till the other one catches up.

But for general stuff and for the ones I love to do on my own, I think the NeX 5n or the GX1, as you pointed out, is good enough till the rest of my list can be ticked off in 3-5 years.
--- Caterpillar ---

Offline caterpillar

• Robot
    • none
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 02:13:55 AM »
I'd say for me a Sony nex 5n/7 ( I really like the sweep panorama!, but i enjoy more to stitch panorama myself :)

I'm a casual user and not so really techy with the camera.

I think the nex has all what I NEED but not all i WANT .
Its just a matter of Contentment and priorities! :)

Kazer,

That's what I like about the new Nex. That sweep panorama is something, isn't it? :)

I also like their ability to shoot HDR and that low light where it takes 3 or 5 rapid shots at 10fps or so, and then combines the bracketted shots to create a low light shot in low light situations with hardly any noise, even if shooting in high ISO! Neat!

NEED is two-fold for me. The "need" for personal things, yes, that's simpler the NEX. There is also the 'need' for pro work in events. Now, those may need other types of lenses.

If it is just for myself, the kit lens is good enough. Maybe a 55-200 and their upcoming wide, hopefully a 10-22 like my Canon 10-22 will complete the trio. Maybe a 4th lens like an 65mm or 85mm fast prime for portraiture. 4 lenses and I am set.

Ok, if I do switch, I'll probably have to upgrade that kit lens to a fast 17-55 f2.8 with IS/OS. But it will still be the same 4 lenses. Those will be good enough for my own personal needs and maybe some pro work. Having a 70-200 f2.8 OS would be nice, but that would be very expensive, and I think, like in the past, I can do well with an 85 f1.8 or 100 f2 prime.

But I won't switch yet. But I can still get a 5n or a GX1 (or GH3?). Learn that for a year or 2 and enjoy using it. I really like something small like the GX1 or the Nex 5n. I wish Canon will come up with something like them.

--- Caterpillar ---

Offline caterpillar

• Robot
    • none
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 02:16:58 AM »
@ caterpillar:

I'll also use your specs as a starting point:

- Clean ISO up to 6400
  - Usable 5x7 ISO at least 25,600 (yeah, I'm a high ISO *toink*)
  - articulating screen
  - EVF and OVF option They each have distinct advantages. I'd like the option to use either in a camera body. I've seen the advantages of EVF and I want that in a DSLR.
  - excellent jpeg engine
  - better dynamic range
  - Body must be no more than U$1,000 (body only).
  - has focus peaking
  - touch screen LCD at the back for faster AF selection (optional, I'm still on the fence on this)
  - very high shutter count limit, either that or a good electronic shutter instead of a mechanical one.

Things I don't necessarily need:

- 1080 video at 60p/30p/24p[/s]

Iampoch,

Fair enough. Just a question, if panasonic comes out with a GH3 w/c is likely a bit bigger, will you consider it? Or do you like to stick it out with aps-c sized sensors?

--- Caterpillar ---

Offline dtmateojr

• Circulan
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 06:13:56 AM »
 Well, my 20d and 400d are over 5 years. My laptop just celebrated 5 years and I had to force-retire it even if it is still functioning only because the keyboard is shot and editing HD video takes too long to render in a 2.0ghz core2duo of 2006.

I'm not worried about the memory cards. Didn't pass through those memories you listed and even if I did, it was in a time that there wasn't even SD. That's over 10 years ago. We only need to stick to 5 years ;)

Oh, I think a U$500-950 camera will satisfy my needs. Maybe not all in those list will be met, but then again, I know myself. I know my gears. For an old bloke who still has a 20d and some old but good lenses, that says a lot about how I look at equipment. ;)

Let's see about that :) You can barely buy an SD card now. They are mostly SDHC. CF is being replaced by SD. No more IDE drives all are SATA. Soon SSD will rule and SATA will be gone.

The developmenrs in the next 2 years will be faster than the past 10 years. You should know this.

Which reminds me. When I got my Wii, it can't even read my SDHC. It was limited to SD. My laptop wont accept the RAM I purchased 2 years ago. Yes, because standards dont guarantee compatibility :) It's an oxymoron.

VideoCD player, anyone?

Offline iampoch

• Robot
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
Iampoch,

Fair enough. Just a question, if panasonic comes out with a GH3 w/c is likely a bit bigger, will you consider it? Or do you like to stick it out with aps-c sized sensors?

For DSLR, I'm shooting for FF (which I really can't afford right now :( ) so I'm settling for APS-C at the moment. But once I get a FF (ex. D800), I'd most likely stick around with it for at most 5 years (yup, not at least hehehe).

For mirrorless, though, you do have a good point with regard to dimensions and weight. When I made the post above, I was just thinking of DSLR (which is the reason why most of the EVIL-related items were weeded out). I have a different requirement for EVIL cameras. Well, high ISO performance is still there, but yeah, I'd like to have a body that's a good compromise between function and form:

- small form factor
  - excellent manual controls
  - excellent lens line-up
  - cheaper than DSLR (or at least cheaper than D5100)

All four are a must for me, the other factors will be just an icing on the cake. So for your query, between a GH3 and the GX1, I'll get the latter hands-down :) I'm looking at two EVIL cameras right now: GX1 and NEX-7. Both have excellent for factors, but the former wins in lens lineup and price, but I can't overlook the latter's near-perfect manual control options (the touted trinity dials) and theoretical ISO performance (thanks to the APS-C sensor). However, the NEX-7's price is kind of a big turn-off, and the lack of lens options is just downright sad (I don't want to rely on adaptors).

For now, my heart is leaning towards the GX1 :) Whether I'll be satisfied with it for the next five years is another story. I'm too much of a techno-hog to ignore newer tech :(

Offline moonshadow

• masked rider
  • Robot
  • Liked: 2
  • Let the good times roll.
  • Camera: Canon, Panasonic
  • Model: 5DMkII, 7D, 700D, D10, HMC150
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 09:47:55 AM »
I am quite happy with the spec of my 5DII.
I just need a little upgrade from what it has.

- AF same as 7D
- Same size as 7D or smaller
- Add one or 2 stops better ISO.

That's it.  Swivel screen would also be welcomed.
 :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:49:27 AM by moonshadow »
Let the good times roll.

Offline earlchoa

• Circulan
  • Liked: 1
    • www.earlchoaphotography.com
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 10:08:45 AM »
I am quite happy with the spec of my 5DII.
I just need a little upgrade from what it has.

- AF same as 7D
- Same size as 7D or smaller
- Add one or 2 stops better ISO.

That's it.  Swivel screen would also be welcomed.
 :)

aside from the pentaprism, I think the body size of the 5dII is pretty much the same as the 7D...

I like the GX1, at least on paper. The lack of a flip LCD is heartbreaking, but if the other aspects of it is good, maybe

The GX1 is still a contender. Mind you, I also like the GF3, so that says a lot about Panny and me ;)

Now if they make a GH3, that might sway me again. Fortunately, or is it unfortunately, we don't even have a whimper of what the GH3 might be. All is silent in the Panasonic camp and all eyes, at this time is focused on the new kid on the block, the GX1.

I am not too keen on another dslr. I want something small. I want a MILC. Of course, I am realistic. The specs I listed, I think I'll see those in 2-3 years from now. What I can only wish from Canon is they somehow release or give us a clue as to what their MILC will be like or if they plan to release one in 2012. I still have some good Canon lenses. I really don't want to go the switching route. It's not just expensive, but it is time consuming to sell your gear, and then save up again to make up the price difference to go the other way, and you know that sometimes, you can't just replace that same FL or lens with a counterpart on the other side. :(

In many ways, I am itching to get a new body. Unfortunately, if Canon doesn't fess up with a MILC, I may have to go Sony Nex or Panasonic. I won't dump my Canon dslr yet. I might sell a lens or two but I'll basically keep it. The MILC isn't mature yet, so there is a need to straddle both systems till the other one catches up.

But for general stuff and for the ones I love to do on my own, I think the NeX 5n or the GX1, as you pointed out, is good enough till the rest of my list can be ticked off in 3-5 years.

I really don't want to get an MILC unless canon releases one, the cost would be too much, and I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of getting a new system for just hobby use, as opposed to using DSLRs for work, which is probably why I still have bought an x100, can't bare to think of coughing up 60k for a camera that I can't really use during shoots.

Offline iampoch

• Robot
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »
If Canon comes out with a MILC of its own, I'm guessing it'll be a different system altogether. Much like how the CX is different from DX/FX (i.e. you'll need an adaptor to make use of DX/FX lenses on the CX as they have different mounts).

For now, none of the EVIL cameras are for pro work, Might take a year or two before we see a Pro-level MILC. Right now, they're inadequate especially in sports.

Offline gqtuazon

• Robot
  • Liked: 219
  • Camera: Nikon
  • Model: D8HE
  • Nickname: Glenn
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »
Let's see about that :) You can barely buy an SD card now. They are mostly SDHC. CF is being replaced by SD. No more IDE drives all are SATA. Soon SSD will rule and SATA will be gone.

The developmenrs in the next 2 years will be faster than the past 10 years. You should know this.

Which reminds me. When I got my Wii, it can't even read my SDHC. It was limited to SD. My laptop wont accept the RAM I purchased 2 years ago. Yes, because standards dont guarantee compatibility :) It's an oxymoron.

VideoCD player, anyone?

Although the intention of Mel (TS) was about a camera that can fulfill your photographic / video needs for the next 5 years, it is premature to speculate about the use of CF cards.  I’ve had my 8 MB CF card since 2002.  It’s just collecting dust but I know that the technology has been around and it just improved from there by producing faster read/write CF cards. It’s similar to what they did with SD cards.  Re: issue with you’re your Nintendo Wii, this can be easily fixed if Nintendo provides a firm ware update.  Majority of the time, we tend to lose focus on what matters to us.  I think it will help out if you begin with the “end in mind” concept.  Once you figure out what you want in the end, then you can work on which tools that can provide you the end results that you originally envisioned. 

Some of our wish list are realistic and can be achieved if we are willing to pay for its current price tag. Most people are asking for better technology but are unrealistic when it comes to price.  We should consider inflation, supply and demand.  How is the flooding in Thailand going to affect the camera manufacturers in the future?  How is the price going to play once the supply goes down?

There are some pros and cons when shifting to a different brand or system.  One should ask if it is worth the trouble.  Are you willing to compromise weight or convenience against “weather sealing” or better controls (as an example)?  What will you do if you don’t like your new dream system or if it just doesn’t meet your expectations?  Just food for thought.

Tags: