!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Sweat it out in style with Nike Outfits by joeyjstepp
[August 23, 2019, 01:28:35 PM]

Begin every match or workout in comfort and style by joeyjstepp
[August 23, 2019, 01:27:40 PM]

Find all our current markdown styles in one place by joeyjstepp
[August 23, 2019, 01:26:05 PM]

Ibat-ibang kababaihan... by rarevision
[August 20, 2019, 05:42:45 PM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by mcCoy!
[August 07, 2019, 11:15:58 AM]

Churches, Mosques, Synagogues etc - Places of Worship by rarevision
[August 07, 2019, 12:27:57 AM]

Mga Sikat... celebrity photos by rarevision
[August 07, 2019, 12:20:18 AM]

D7K+ Shoot - January 2013 by Miguelina
[August 02, 2019, 03:11:46 PM]

NEWBIE Seeking Advice: Pricing your image for a textbook? by Red_Jade
[July 23, 2019, 06:33:29 PM]

My Food Photography Shots by mcCoy!
[July 18, 2019, 10:18:02 PM]

Author Topic: nikon d7000, nikkor lenses & sb-700  (Read 92341 times)

Offline joel garcia

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 1
  • don't talk to strangers, when your mouth is full.
Re: nikon d7000, nikkor lenses & sb-700
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 12:53:10 AM »
im more excited with the long and overdue upgrade of the SB600, the SB700. ;)
pa-petik petik lang!

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 12:53:10 AM »

Offline LGO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Robot
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 01:07:52 AM »
im more excited with the long and overdue upgrade of the SB600, the SB700. ;)

Since late last year, I have long believed that the SB-700 will be released this year.  So I held off buying the SB-600 because of its confusing and difficult-to use user interface.  

For this exercise at self-control in disuading myself from getting the SB-600, I ended up buying 2 more SB-900 to add to my 1 x SB-900 and 2 x SB-800...  ??? ::) ;D ... go figure!

With a D7000 matched with a Nikkor 16-85mm, the SB-700, and a mini-tripod, I may just have a smaller and lighter walk-around backpack to carry around for casual shooting .. or at least I hope so anyway.  Right retina?   ;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:10:10 AM by LGO »

Offline LGO

• Robot
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 03:03:02 AM »
It is interesting to note how well the sensor in the Nikon D90 holds its ground against the Canon 7D and even the Canon 1D Mk IV.  Click on the attached comparison from DXOMark below to view the comparo:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/619|0/%28appareil2%29/439|0/%28appareil3%29/629|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Canon

If the D7000 will be at least one-stop improved from the D90 and will add an extra 4mp in its resolution, then the D7000 will easily out-perform the Canon 7D and may even match or exceed the Canon 1D Mk IV in low-light performance in so far as sensor performance is concerned despite the high ISO setting possible with the Canon 1D Mk IV.

The following comparison shows how the Nikon D700 sensor out-performs the Canon 1D Mk IV:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/483|0/%28appareil2%29/441|0/%28appareil3%29/629|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Canon

Even if the sensor in the D7000 does not quite equal the sensor in the D700 in low-light performance, it may possibly approximate and possibly exceed the Canon 1D MK IV in low-light performance, the ISO settings notwithstanding.  The D7000 will of course easily trounce the Canon 7D since the D90 performs even better than the 7D in low-light ... at least, in so far as the DxOMark test results are concerned.

Hmmmm ... some shifters (from Canon) will be the order of the day once the D7000 low-light performance becomes a known quality.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:07:36 AM by LGO »

Offline johnnyblues

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 5
  • Camera: Canon, Olympus
  • Field: Landscape
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 04:49:11 AM »
It is interesting to note how well the sensor in the Nikon D90 holds its ground against the Canon 7D and even the Canon 1D Mk IV.  Click on the attached comparison from DXOMark below to view the comparo:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/619|0/%28appareil2%29/439|0/%28appareil3%29/629|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Canon

If the D7000 will be at least one-stop improved from the D90 and will add an extra 4mp in its resolution, then the D7000 will easily out-perform the Canon 7D and may even match or exceed the Canon 1D Mk IV in low-light performance in so far as sensor performance is concerned despite the high ISO setting possible with the Canon 1D Mk IV.

The following comparison shows how the Nikon D700 sensor out-performs the Canon 1D Mk IV:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/483|0/%28appareil2%29/441|0/%28appareil3%29/629|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Canon

Even if the sensor in the D7000 does not quite equal the sensor in the D700 in low-light performance, it may possibly approximate and possibly exceed the Canon 1D MK IV in low-light performance, the ISO settings notwithstanding.  The D7000 will of course easily trounce the Canon 7D since the D90 performs even better than the 7D in low-light ... at least, in so far as the DxOMark test results are concerned.

Hmmmm ... some shifters (from Canon) will be the order of the day once the D7000 low-light performance becomes a known quality.

Ahhh... just had a conversation with the missus about shifting (due to the 7D)... thanks for the insights. What would I do without you. ;D :P
In GOD we trust... everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.

Offline retina

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 1046
  • Camera: Fujifilm
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: Nikon D750
  • Nickname: Doc A
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 12:10:07 PM »

With a D7000 matched with a Nikkor 16-85mm, the SB-700, and a mini-tripod, I may just have a smaller and lighter walk-around backpack to carry around for casual shooting .. or at least I hope so anyway.  Right retina?   ;) :D ;D
How did you figure out that I may consider this setup?This is maybe casual to you but I am really having some thoughts of plunging into FX. I noticed some teenagers using this almost similar setup(DX) and they get  very good pictures that is better than mine. If they can do it I think I can still improved on DX system.If rumors are true then the d7000,16-85 and sb700 plus other things is a very good system to improve my skill. The 16-35, d700 replacement, 24-120 can wait for a year or 2 and I can use the extra money for additional accessories like more flashes or stable and light tripods  and some specialty lenses like a fish eye or a DC or PC-E lenses.
The landscape are changing every time new lenses or bodies are being released so our priorities. By reading or schooling we will realized that the we don't really need a drastic change in our system. We just have to reshuffle it to fit our needs and our level of skills.
Ahhh... just had a conversation with the missus about shifting (due to the 7D)... thanks for the insights. What would I do without you. ;D :P
Shifting? With the quality of cameras that each companies are making, I am not sure if this is a good move. :D ;) We just have to wait for the right model that our brand will produce. Sooner or later there will be one and they can make  to fit our needs!!

Offline rsh78ph

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 27
    • Flickr
  • Camera: Nikon, Canon, Sony
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Model: D90, F, 1000D, NEX-5N, NEX-7
  • Nickname: Ryan
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 12:27:41 PM »
Wow! Too bad I'm shifting  ;D

Just couldn't take the service or non-service of Nikon products here. It just made sense (business sense) to shift.

There is just too many good things on both camps. Wish I had the dough for a high end dual system.
Digital & Film LOVE...

Offline retina

• Robot
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 02:43:07 PM »

Just couldn't take the service or non-service of Nikon products here. It just made sense (business sense) to shift.

There is just too many good things on both camps. Wish I had the dough for a high end dual system.
That's a good reason to shift Ryan!!! At least di ka nagsawa sa Photography, nandyan ka lang. Di ka namin mamimiss :D ;) ;)

Offline LGO

• Robot
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 02:50:25 PM »

Speaking from my personal situation, the one compelling item I see in Canon nowadays is the video capabilities of its video-dSLRs.  Canon has really put in a lot of effort and resources to adding HD-video even to its entry level cameras (e.g., Canon 550D).  This is not altogether surprising as Canon has produced video cameras for a long time.

Yet from a still-photography camera perspective, I think Nikon is still the camera to beat.  While Nikon may have lagged in the megapixel race, this has not resulted nor exerted as big an impact as the 50% more megapixel numbers may suggest since very few print large prints, and even those using "mere" 12mp bodies can use programs to avoid pixelation when printing building-sized billboards.  Then too Nikon's new entry level body will be 14mp and the D90-replacement will be 16mp so this will not even be an issue going forward late this year.

What differentiates Nikon is the balance it brings to its camera models.  Nikon has chosen to emphasize color depth, dynamic range, low-light performance, and lastly, resolution - at a reasonable cost to the customer and profit to the manufacturer as well.  The D90 and the D700 epitomizes this approach.  The D7000 is about to elevate what the D90 has achieve to an even higher level.  

Admittedly, there are some Nikon shooters who are hung-up on the D3x and who would like to see this sensor in a D700 body for its 24mp resolution.  I too would like to see something like this but not because of the higher megapixel but rather, because of the improved color depth and dynamic range of this sensor.  Note that the D3x sensor despite its high-resolution has scored higher in low-light capabilities than the D90 in DxOMark testing!  A "D700x" would be a great landscape and portrait camera and would still be usable in other applications because of its great autofocus system.

I am sure that there are many good reasons for shifting to Canon (such as Ryan's citing Nikon's poor local support) but given the impending release of the D7000, getting a better still-photography camera body is not likely be one of these.  

On matters of HD-video capabilities, I will be keenly studying the D7000's video capabilities.  Ultimately however, I am a still photographer first and possibly a video enthusiast a far second so I will order my priorities accordingly.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:52:14 PM by LGO »

Offline LGO

• Robot
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
Wow! Too bad I'm shifting  ;D

Ryan, I concur with retina that it does not matter what system you are using so long are you are with us in this community.  

Has there been any particular instance where you needed servicing for your body and or lens but could not get proper support at a decent price?  

On my part, it used to be that I was seriously contemplating adding a Canon 5D Mk2 because of the 17mm TS-E and this body's video capabilities.  But I have successfully (I hope!) waited for Nikon to add a suitable video capabilities to its dSLR.  I have also gotten a Nikkor 24mm PC-E and though not as wide as the 17mm TS-E, has been an exceptionally useful lens for me.  The 70-200mm f/4 IS would have been another reason to add a Canon but this was before Nikon introduced its f/4 VR series in the 16-35mm and 24-120mm.  It may thus just be a matter of time before Nikon adds a  Nikkor 70-200mm f/4 VR.  Besides,  I have already gotten used to lugging around the 1.5kg weight of the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:08:26 PM by LGO »

Offline flxrms

• HGT
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 11
  • Nickname: Felix Pogi
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 03:21:13 PM »

well sana pag isipan mo din yan pag lipat hehe...may problema din sa other camp when it comes to service.. my ofcmate's 24-105 took 3 months bago ma repair..and not cheap..
Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee.
Savor the coffee, not the cups!

Offline LGO

• Robot
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
How did you figure out that I may consider this setup?This is maybe casual to you but I am really having some thoughts of plunging into FX. I noticed some teenagers using this almost similar setup(DX) and they get  very good pictures that is better than mine. If they can do it I think I can still improved on DX system.If rumors are true then the d7000,16-85 and sb700 plus other things is a very good system to improve my skill. The 16-35, d700 replacement, 24-120 can wait for a year or 2 and I can use the extra money for additional accessories like more flashes or stable and light tripods  and some specialty lenses like a fish eye or a DC or PC-E lenses.
The landscape are changing every time new lenses or bodies are being released so our priorities. By reading or schooling we will realized that the we don't really need a drastic change in our system. We just have to reshuffle it to fit our needs and our level of skills.Shifting? With the quality of cameras that each companies are making, I am not sure if this is a good move. :D ;) We just have to wait for the right model that our brand will produce. Sooner or later there will be one and they can make  to fit our needs!!

Doc, a DX system is certainly capable of producing excellent results (with Bob Krist as a convincing evidence).  A DX body such as the D90 and the upcoming D7000 is no slouch!

As far as lenses are concerned, since your FX lenses would also be usable in a DX, it is no waste to get FX lenses.  In my case, I have 3 specialized DX-only lenses (Nikkor 35mm f/1.8DX, Nikkor 16-85mm DX and Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ) but most of my lenses are FX. My DX-only lenses are there primarily to take advantage of the lighter and smaller DX lenses but all my new lens purchases will be FX lenses ... with the possible exception of Nikon releasing a Nikkor 16-70mm f2.8 VR DX even if this be 2/3 as big and 2/3 the weight of the 70-200mm f/2.8!

I should add then that FX body has a nuanced capability that DX cannot match, specially when shooting wide-open at low-light situations.  Yet it is ultimately our capabilities, our imagination, our "photographer's eye" that would make our photos.  In this, there is no substitute to applying oneself out there, then constantly critiquing one's work, studying and learning from others, to elevate our skill to the point where our equipment would be a less important preoccupation.  For a gearhead like me, I will not dismiss the importance of having the right gears ... but the photographer's skill, experience, imagination and vision comes first.  Whew ... ang haba yata ng sinabi ko!   ;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:34:29 PM by LGO »

Offline LGO

• Robot
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 03:38:38 PM »
well sana pag isipan mo din yan pag lipat hehe...may problema din sa other camp when it comes to service.. my ofcmate's 24-105 took 3 months bago ma repair..and not cheap..

Hi Felix,

This seems to be a problem with the early production units.  I understand that the newer production units no longer has this problem as Canon has changed the focusing motor.  This bit of info of course brings no comfort to your friend.

I am surprised that the repair took that long though since this is a well-known problem that afflicts the early units of this lens.

LGO

Offline flxrms

• HGT
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 11
  • Nickname: Felix Pogi
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
@LGO
took them that long to get the parts abroad and the usual backlog na din
Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee.
Savor the coffee, not the cups!

Offline retina

• Robot
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 05:17:57 PM »
@LGO
took them that long to get the parts abroad and the usual backlog na din
I think it is the usual case kung walang parts na available. The USB port of my HG20 was damaged and it took Canon 2 months to replace it. The glass screen of my LX3 had a deep scratch and I was uncomfortable with it so I have it change at Panasonic and it took 2 mos for the parts to arrive. Those services are very expensive and maybe not the best but at least meron kahit matagal. Did I complain? No not a bit because there is no use in doing so.I know these campanies,even Canon have some problems.It is good for my health and good for my GAS in case....I will get something new. Honey, wala na raw parts, can I buy a new one? ;D :D ;) ::)

Offline memphis

• fanatic psychographer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (42)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 17
  • "i am who am.."
    • TipidSale - DavaoSale!
  • Camera: Panasonic, Nikon
  • Model: GF1, D90
  • Nickname: Jaypee
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 05:35:13 PM »
Honey, wala na raw parts, can I buy a new one? ;D :D ;) ::)
thanks for this line doc.. may nakuha akong rason para kay esmi. hekhekhek
"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Free Mac Support

Offline retina

• Robot
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 06:03:51 PM »
thanks for this line doc.. may nakuha akong rason para kay esmi. hekhekhek
That's dangerous he he he as you won't finish renovating your house  ;D :D ;) ::)

The Nikon Coolpix p7000 was announced, then the d7000, and SB700.Baka sunod na ang Nikon d700x/s ;D :D ::) Sana hwag naman 7000 USD ang price!!! :D ;) ::) at 700 lang!!!

Offline LGO

• Robot
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 07:20:55 PM »
That's dangerous he he he as you won't finish renovating your house  ;D :D ;) ::)

The Nikon Coolpix p7000 was announced, then the d7000, and SB700.Baka sunod na ang Nikon d700x/s ;D :D ::) Sana hwag naman 7000 USD ang price!!! :D ;) ::) at 700 lang!!!

A Nikon D700s should cost about USD $3000-$3200.  A D700x would probably be in the $4500-$5,000 range as the price difference between D3s and D3x is approx. $2,500-3000.  I wonder whether those clamoring for the D700x will be willing to buy this model at this price range. 

The price would drop within 6-9 months after the initial introduction.  The question Doc is, if nikon ever introduces the D700s, are you willing to wait that long?  Ha ha ha ha!   ;D

Offline retina

• Robot
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 07:55:31 PM »
  The question Doc is, if nikon ever introduces the D700s, are you willing to wait that long?  Ha ha ha ha!   ;D
Yes, if I can play with something else like the d7000  ;D :D ::)

Offline LGO

• Robot
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 08:00:36 PM »
Yes, if I can play with something else like the d7000  ;D :D ::)

Sounds like an excellent plan Doc!  ;D 8)

Offline retina

• Robot
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »

Sounds like an excellent plan Doc!  ;D 8)
Now, I realized how to be in an advantage if you have FX/DX compatible lenses. You can go back and forth or opt for dual bodies with less harm....just my point of view!!!

Tags: