!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Author Topic: body or lens upgrade?  (Read 10933 times)

Offline glennalday

• hobbyist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 0
    • henyopinoy
  • Camera: Canon
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Model: canon 60d
  • Nickname: glenn
Re: body or lens upgrade?
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
Lens na lang.
Hintayin mo lang next year lumabas ang 650d bago ka bumili ng 550d para mas mura or hintayin mo yung 70d bago ka bumili ng 60d. ang lens kasi halos di nagbabago ang price.

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »

Offline icko

• Nido Kid
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2011, 04:59:35 PM »
it really depends on what your needs is. if you need better features like higher ISO then buy a new body.

Offline jonm

• Nido Kid
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »
sa mga naguguluhan pa, here's a good read from our very own ka-PiPho:

A Guide for upgrading cameras for the Intermediate user
http://www.pinoyphotography.org/forum/index.php?topic=63991.0

Nice thread, very helpful...cguro lens muna unahin ko. Which one do you recommend yung 24-70 or 24-105. Iniisip ko lng baka bitin yung 24-70 sanay na ako sa 17-85 ko, big difference ba sa zoom? Kung 24-105 naman baka kailangan ko ng flash pg indoor shots? All around sana for the kids, family and school...thanks.

Offline philaw123

• Nido Kid
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2011, 01:15:35 AM »
Mga sir pasabay na din ako dito. Same problem din ako ngayon, lens or body. I haven't upgraded my gears in 5yrs, I have a 20d with 17-85mm and 50mm. Currently, I only have a budget for one upgrade. I'm looking at the 60d (maybe 7d) and 24-70mm or 24-105mm. Pacomment na lang mga sir kung ano dapat unahin ko i-upgrade body or lens. Thanks!

@jonm: the technological upgrade from a 20D to a 7D is much greater than a 17-85 to a 24-105 or 24-70. If you're wondering which new purchase will hold value better, it would probably be the lenses. But if you're wondering which purchase will help your photography more, that will depend on your needs. What do you expect to achieve from your new purchase? What are you looking for? Where do you want to improve? Why do you want to buy something new?

Nice thread, very helpful...cguro lens muna unahin ko. Which one do you recommend yung 24-70 or 24-105. Iniisip ko lng baka bitin yung 24-70 sanay na ako sa 17-85 ko, big difference ba sa zoom? Kung 24-105 naman baka kailangan ko ng flash pg indoor shots? All around sana for the kids, family and school...thanks.

As for whether to get a 24-105/4 or a 24-70/2.8, again this is a question of need. Figure out what you expect from the lens you intend to buy, then research. These lenses are not cheap. It's nice to get the opinion of others but when they're giving it without any idea of what you need, medyo mag ingat ingat ka.

The whole point of upgrading to either lens is to improve the IQ of your shots. If you're worrying na baka mabitin ka sa limited focal range ng 24-70, baka gusto mo nalang bumili ng super zoom. Maybe a Tamron 18-270 VC. Siguradong di ka mabibitin sa focal range cos at 15x, that's the lens with the widest range. Or if you're worried that the 24-105/4 is not bright enough, maybe you should go with a prime with a big aperture. Like a Canon 35/2, 85/1.8 or 100/2. If you want an L, why not the 135/2L?

There is no perfect lens. It's all about need and compromise. Find out what you need and are willing to compromise and your decision will be easier.

FWIW For the price of a new 24-70, you can get a used 24-105 along with a 580 EXII Speedlight, TTL cord and bracket. So you don't have to worry about whether the 24-105 is bright enough.

HTH
No guts, no goto.

Offline jonm

• Nido Kid
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 09:30:18 PM »
@philaw123
Thanks sa reply...actually medyo hindi na ako happy sa performance ng setup ko, feeling ko outdated na talaga yung gears ko. So I'm not really sure kung ano dapat upgrade ko muna kasi nga as I mentioned before I have only budget for 1 upgrade. Yung color output ng mga pics parang hindi ganun kaganda...I use the cam for the kids lang, indoor and outdoor...all around na talaga. Thanks again!

Offline carlokai

• Nido Kid
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »
this depends kung hobbyist ka lang ba? or planning to go pro? kasi if hobbyist ka lang naman, pwde mo na muna ipaliban yung body and ivnest on the lens. Lenses are good investments because when you decide to upgrade the body after you invested on the lenses. then you wont have a problem anymore with the lenses because you already have some. especially you should invest on the L lenses because you're using a cropped frame body and if you do upgrade to the FF(Full Frame) then you will be able to use the full potential of your L lenses. :) this is IMPO only :)

- Hobbyist ( ive started investing on the lenses )

Offline john edward

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 1
  • Field: Landscape
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2011, 11:57:38 PM »
My 2 cents. U get mor bang for ur buck in terms of what you can produce w a better body contrary to common advise.  Poor bodies w good lenses wil hav a hard time beating good bodies w even old manual lenses or third party lenses. Eg: d3 w cheaper tamron or d200 w a G fixd Apperture lens.

Offline theperson

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 3
  • Camera: Nikon
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: d600
  • Nickname: Makko
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2011, 01:08:24 AM »
My 2 cents. U get mor bang for ur buck in terms of what you can produce w a better body contrary to common advise.  Poor bodies w good lenses wil hav a hard time beating good bodies w even old manual lenses or third party lenses. Eg: d3 w cheaper tamron or d200 w a G fixd Apperture lens.

there are no real "poor bodies". our standards are just being raised to new heights every year (or couple of months) because of new technological advancements. entry level bodies now have better image quality than some high end dslrs a few years back. for example, when the d300 came out a couple of years ago, its useable high iso was highly regarded and even called "the best in it's class", today the d300's high iso performance is considered trash compared to the d7000, and the d5100 handles the same (i think). good glass will always be good glass, good bodies will always be outdated; entry level bodies are still capable of capturing stunning images, they have bigger sensors than most consumer cameras out there.

btw i'd take a d80 with a 200mm f/2 vr any day over a d3 with a 28-200mm. ;D
anyway these are my opinions.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:14:36 AM by theperson »

Tags: