!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Sweat it out in style with Nike Outfits by joeyjstepp
[August 23, 2019, 01:28:35 PM]

Begin every match or workout in comfort and style by joeyjstepp
[August 23, 2019, 01:27:40 PM]

Find all our current markdown styles in one place by joeyjstepp
[August 23, 2019, 01:26:05 PM]

Ibat-ibang kababaihan... by rarevision
[August 20, 2019, 05:42:45 PM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by mcCoy!
[August 07, 2019, 11:15:58 AM]

Churches, Mosques, Synagogues etc - Places of Worship by rarevision
[August 07, 2019, 12:27:57 AM]

Mga Sikat... celebrity photos by rarevision
[August 07, 2019, 12:20:18 AM]

D7K+ Shoot - January 2013 by Miguelina
[August 02, 2019, 03:11:46 PM]

NEWBIE Seeking Advice: Pricing your image for a textbook? by Red_Jade
[July 23, 2019, 06:33:29 PM]

My Food Photography Shots by mcCoy!
[July 18, 2019, 10:18:02 PM]

Author Topic: Issues with the new Pocket Wizards  (Read 1370 times)

Offline PaoloD

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 0
  • ManiniyoT noy
Issues with the new Pocket Wizards
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:38:36 AM »
Was browsing thru photography-on-the.net and saw this thread:

With over 8000 defective Pocket Wizards on the street the company has now ceased shipping new product.

A few clarifications:
•   ~2000 units have shipped. Hundreds more are built up and being built just as the first 2000 were, with one difference - they are waiting for the firmware upgrade we've been promising for a few weeks. Logistical timing is holding them up.
•   The units that shipped are not considered defective. They are not being recalled from store shelves or user's hands. They shipped with a feature set that was defined in the manual. The bugs found in the field affect some percentage of users in some capacity, while the units continue to operate just fine in other capacities, including problem free for most users.
•   The units are designed to take firmware upgrades to get new features and to fix bugs that crop up. I don't think I'm engaging in marketing hyperbole when I say that's a design feature, not a defect.
•   The 430EX issue is that 430EX users are experiencing over-exposures sometimes in E-TTL mode. Manual mode is not affected. No other flashes are affected (580EX, 580EX II, 430EX II, all manual flash packs). It is a bug corrected in the pending firmware. By the way, even with this bug corrected, the 430EX (I, not II) is terribly RF noisy and will still have poor performance unless the OC-E3 cord and a ferrite clamp are used, as we've already stated in a few places. That is not something firmware or even hardware can fix. That flash just makes lots of RF noise on PW frequencies, period.
•   So why did I say we were still shipping before? Because I thought we were! One plan had been to keep shipping and have MAC do the reprogramming just before the units went out the door to stores. Keep the production lines moving. Yesterday morning it was decided that that wasn't the best plan and now we are going to do it at the factory. This will in fact cause a ~5 business day pause in deliveries (probably add a few days for some stores to fill orders, and supply is still far below demand right now).
•   http://www.pocketwizard.com/news_eve...march25update/
•   No need to bother Jan at MAC. If you need to escalate a serious problem to him, that's okay but go through the normal channels of calling the MAC support guys first (unless of course you already have a relationship with Jan). Or get in touch with me. I'm most easily reachable over in the Flickr PocketWizard discussion group, but I'll be checking in here from time to time.
I hope that clears things up a little for you. The words "ceased" and "stopped" are certainly stronger than "paused," which indicates resuming soon. "Stopped" like waiting at a stop sign is okay. "Stopped" like Chernobyl ceased being safe is another thing entirely.

Patrick from PocketWizard
patrick@lpadesign.com or support@lpadesign.com

Follow the thread here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=666852

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

Issues with the new Pocket Wizards
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:38:36 AM »

Tags: