!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Author Topic: dualsystem  (Read 1673 times)

Offline redsonyaredsonya

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Nido Kid
  • Liked: 0
dualsystem
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:46:37 PM »
just soliciting some feedback why you went dual systems - for those who did.  those who have canon and nikon... what do u like best for each system? what is ur strategy in buying lenses? how about in buying speedlights?

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

dualsystem
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:46:37 PM »

Offline gpx4

• Light Steel Framing Systems
  • Ex - Org Officio
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 2
  • Arts Media Sports
    • My flickr
Re: dualsystem
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:06:51 AM »
Started with the Canon system.
Presently have 2 bodies (1 5D and 1 40D), tried an assortment of lenses and settled with 6 plus 2 flashguns.
Tried out the Nikon D300 since it's feature rich prosumer camera. 

I  wanted a 1DMkIII last year (multi-AF, fast fps, great ISO sensitivity) but the cost was just too prohibitive.  I was glad that almost the same features are now available in a 75k camera. I have 2 lenses (17-50 / 70-200 VR) and a flashgun (SB-800) for Nikon.

My wife loves the Nikon D300, she calls it a Point and shoot DSLR because of the auto ISO feature and superior metering system.  I plan to use the D300 for events and outdoor sports shoots.

The 5D for product/food (24-105/50mm), portraits (135L), interior (16-35), low-light venues (any)  and ultrawide landscapes (16-35). This camera still has the best Image Quality although a tired vintage featured body only a D3 can surpass at 3X the cost.

The 40D for indoor sports (focuses faster), outdoor sports, birding (if ever),  all around photography and the workhorse camera since Canon has excellent local service support.

Hopefully, I will decide to carry one system again before the end of 2008. Nikon or Canon.... I don't care whatever I fancy. But if I can still afford to sustain the cost, dual system is great too.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 12:18:56 AM by gpx4 »
EOS 40D and a 20/20V
www.flickr.com/photos/novellsteel

Some things we think are bad may be good.
- Harry Bartholomew

Offline noelet

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Tocino + Rice
    • Multiply
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 12:46:42 AM »
different body for different types of shoot  ;D nice sir. tfs
imonfilm

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human
existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being

Offline Melwyn B. Alamag

• PiPho Org Member
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 16
  • Camera: Canon, Leica, Olympus
  • Field: Landscape
  • Model: 7D, Ixus, DLux3, OM-D EM5
  • Nickname: Mel
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
i started with the canon 400D and 40D then recently i acquired a d300.  i was ok with canon's aftersales service, affordability and availability plus, as raffy puts it, its a good all around workhorse.  Nikon was introduced to me by my balikbayan sister.  She has a D2xs and a D80.  I was teasing her to leave one here during her visit last Feb but she said, she will send me her unused cameras and lenses.  She sent me a nikon f5 film camera with two classic yet good lens syempre and after trying her nikons, i decided to get a d300. the on cam post process like -active d-lighting and cropping to me were the clincher since these features are what i usually do in post processing my shots. at least i can process on the fly kahit basic PP. also the promise of "hand me down lens" from her made me go nikon  ;D
Life's a big blurr

Offline alanc

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Circulan
    • - none -
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:49:19 AM »
I've used both systems.  However, never together.  It was too expensive for me.
"Remind yourself that the gear you can't afford is not the barrier keeping you from success. Gear has very little to do with photography."

-Chase Jarvis-

Offline geourgina

• PiPho Org Member
  • Trade Count: (127)
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:49:27 AM »
I'm a die hard Canon user (10D, 30D, 40D) but I just hate Post Processing (because I'm not very good at it) which is primarily why I like the Nikon.

The controls on the D200 and D300 are just so right at your fingertips with just simple combinations, no need to chimp scrolling the menus which is a waste of time and battery.  The CF is nice on both systems as each camera can read each others pictures.

Service is so important for me, not that I would need it but just so I know it is available- a plus for Canon.  Not to mention the SALE every now and then.

Flash system goes to Nikon for me - much much easier to go multi flash.

One camera introduced will just better the previous one, no matter the brand, it's nice to get the best of both worlds (just too expensive going dual system though  :().

"When subject matter is forced to fit into preconceived patterns, there can be no freshness of vision. Following rules of composition can only lead to a tedious repetition of pictorial cliches." -Edward Weston

Offline Rob_P

• L addict
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Nido Kid
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:28:06 AM »
I had a chance to use a dual system when I just started. I bought a D50 "family kit" from Costco, which consists of a Nikon D50 + a 70-300mm and another lens (can't remember what it was).

My primary "goal" for buying a dSLR was to take portraits with smooth bokeh, but for the few weeks I owned the Nikon, I was so disappointed (no offense to Nikon owners, this is just my personal opinion and I'm just speaking from experience). Bokeh was rough and scattered, the colors are too saturated and unnatural and from what I recall, I wasn't happy with my image.

Being an inexperienced photographer, I decided to buy a Canon 30D body and a 50mm 1.8 lens since that's the cheapest lens I could buy. I compared the two brands (I know, the comparison is apples and oranges) and I was much happier with the shots I got from Canon.

A few couple of months later, I got rid of the Nikon system.

I've been only with this hobby for a couple of years and I have owned several Canon bodies (3x 5D's, 1D-II, 300D, XTi, 30D), several L lenses and several flashes. Bodies come and go, bells and whistles are nice to have but it will be too time consuming for me to get rid of my Canon system to try another brand again.

IMO, as long as you're happy and it fits your shooting style, then that's all that matters.

Offline ESM

• eLMeRS
  • Robot
    • Elmer Medalla Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 11:47:24 AM »
3 5D's for a hobbyist. :) 
do you leave one at the office, one in the car and another inside the house?  I am just kidding (I can't help it).  I am sure everyone has a rational for the things we buy for our hobbies.  It is good you are blessed with the resource to buy the things you need to shoot. 

btw, share us some pics.. i am very curious with samples of 5d+L primes :) baka mapa-stay ako at hindi na mag dual :P 

para hindi OT:
i had a dual system for a few days but decided to give up the d40x for a friend who needs it more.. i do miss it, but I am excited with what Easter has in store for me.  Baka answered prayer... lol  then I can also answer your questions better. 

for me, I don't have loyalty to a brand, so what works best for me (and the budget)... remember, if one decides to sell one system, he/she is bound to lose some money.. the price of being happy with the shift. I have not much invested in Canon except for an L lens, the body is bound for a quick depn anyway.  So still 'easy' for me to shift gears.

I like Raffy's points above, it is clear where he will be using the D300 vs the 5D and the 40d.  So I think it is money well spent for him.  Cheers mate!

Offline Rob_P

• L addict
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Nido Kid
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »
@ESM:

I never leave anything in my cars. Not at work.
They all reside a few feet away from my bed.  ;)

Offline viral_variance

• Ovalteenees
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 12:27:57 PM »
if i have the budget, i would like to try other systems as well. Olympus would be a good choice, followed by Fujifilm and Sony.

i've been hearing and reading a lot of good stuff about the Fuji DSLR's :)
Trigger Happy Boi Boi!

Offline MagicEye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 71
  • Just Do it
    • Adphoto
  • Camera: Canon
  • Field: Architectural
  • Model: Canon 5Dmk3
  • Nickname: John
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 01:34:53 PM »
if i have the budget, i would like to try other systems as well. Olympus would be a good choice, followed by Fujifilm and Sony.

i've been hearing and reading a lot of good stuff about the Fuji DSLR's :)

Bad decision to make. I started out with Nikon 35 years ago, I still have the Nikon System with 20 lenses and several digital bodies to go with. Now almost four years ago, i shift to Canon because my work needs what Canon can offer. Fast frame per second, Fast focusing and higher MegaPixels. Today I am very happy with that decision, my staff uses the Nikon system while I use Canon, Now that I have upgraded to the Mark Three's. they have access to my Canon Mk two's.

My advise to the newbies. Stick to one system and built it up. Knowing your camera like the back of your hand would one day have an important effect whether you be a successful photographer or a mediocre one. Deciding what to bring for a shoot - Canon or Nikon. Building up both system is very expensive indeed. I cant afford that. Having your favorite wide angle lens on your Nikon and equally favorite IS USM 28-300 mm on your Canon. with other lenses in between. You probably spend half of your day deciding which to bring.
At the end of the day. Remember its the person behind the camera who presses that shutter button to capture that moment forever.. right... Canon or Nikon... could be your Point and Shoot camera that will capture that Moment. coz you have it always in your pocket, MagicEye
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 01:42:27 PM by MagicEye »

Offline squiggly

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Circulan
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
I have been into photography since i college. i used to use nikon film camera. had a couple of lenses that went with that but when the digital age came in. i thought of going canon because they were waaaay advanced than nikon in the digital arena so there... so far, i have not regretted the shift!
That's a joke... i say, that's a joke, son...

Tags:

Get this spot now imagesmith photography Two Stops Over