!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Author Topic: Best mid-range mirrorless compact (planning to give up my Canon 7D)  (Read 12736 times)

Offline raffy_eos7D

• "That in all things, God may be glorified."
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 85
  • GAS Addict
  • Camera: Olympus
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: OMD
  • Nickname: Raffy
Re: Best mid-range mirrorless compact (planning to give up my Canon 7D)
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 06:53:37 PM »
From Dlsr to Mirrorless your gaining portability but losing responsiveness. Some mirrorless cameras focus terrible in low light/or indoor situation however in good lighting conditions AF is fast. For me Fuji has the best Image Quality in mirrorless world but is slow to AF. Micro 4/3's from olympus & panasonic offers Fast AF Even in low light in Single AF. Sony a6000 gives the best dynamic range & resolution. Continuos AF/AF tracking is good in Daylight but struggles in low light.
| OMD | M. Zuiko 45mm 1.8 | Lumix 14mm 2.5 | Gordy's Camera Strap l  B+W F-PRO l Manfrotto BeFree  |

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 06:53:37 PM »

Offline wewoy_romero

• canon fanboi
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 10
  • Camera: canon
  • Model: eos r + m50
  • Nickname: wewoy
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 09:50:38 AM »
might be off-topic at wala sa tinitignan mo, but since naka-7d ka naman na, why not look into a canon 100D? it is so small and yet has dslr functionality.

Offline RJ100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 1
  • Camera: Canon
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Model: 70D, EOSM
  • Nickname: RJ
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 11:27:02 AM »
Hi RedJade. I actually use dslr's for serious shoots and landscape photography. My daily camera used to be an eosm but now I already upgraded to the m3. I think if you are already invested in terms of gear and lenses in the canon side of the fence, It's a pretty good option for you.

Compared to the 7d, you won't lose much in terms of image quality. Both the m3 and the 7d have crop (apsc) sensors and the m3 actually benefits from newer technology so there might actually be some gain there. What you do lose is speed. The 7d and most dslr's are still better in terms of AF performance and subject acquisition. For me, it's not an issue for travel and general street photography. I can do certain events well using the M3 but I would get things done a lot faster with less shooting using a dslr.

If you're willing to commit to a new system, the xt10 seems to be a good option. Haven't used one though. But if it's as good as the xt1 then it would be really nice.

Offline RedJade

• Marie Biscuits
  • Discipline. Faith. Respect.
  • Model: 7D
  • Nickname: Anna
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 01:44:39 PM »
Thank you, @raffy_eos7D! Those are very valuable insights and will guide me towards the right mirrorless for me and my needs. Well appreciated!  :)
Spread kindness. Be the reason for someone's smile each day.

Offline RedJade

• Marie Biscuits
  • Discipline. Faith. Respect.
  • Model: 7D
  • Nickname: Anna
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 02:09:57 PM »
Thank you also, @wewoy_romero and @RJ100!

You are right, @RJ100 - it seems I would have to give up the some of the speed/efficiency of DSLRs if shifting to mirrorless. I think I can live with that (at least for now). Hmmm, so far, I am torn apart between Fuji and Canon hehe. Although parang ok din ang Sony a6000! :)

Thanks, guys! Merry Christmas to all!
Spread kindness. Be the reason for someone's smile each day.

Offline neilc

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 101
  • Sobra pero sakto!
  • Camera: Olympus
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Model: EM-5
  • Nickname: Neil
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 11:40:53 PM »
Never been happy with my LX100. Try it out.  The AF is superb and image quality is at par with the APS-C's out there.

It is very portable for me. I'm a casual shooter and I don't make a living out of photography so it's really right for me.

Been there done that. Olympus, Fuji, RX100m3 (still have this tiny beast of a camera) that the wifey uses. The LX100 is a keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Olympus EM-5 (OM-D), Olympus 17mm f1.8

Offline moodless

• Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 35
  • DU30
    • FLICKR
  • Camera: Sony, Pentax, Canon
  • Field: Architectural
  • Model: GF2 X10 NEX-5N A7 KM-5D,
  • Nickname: Allan
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 02:08:44 AM »
if you are really on a budget, the best mirrorless right now is sony's A6000.. it is one of the cheapest, with the best crop sensor in terms of image quality and dynamic range, 11fps, has an built-in evf and sony's e-mount will open up a lot of possibilities in terms of adapted lenses.
i have the sony a3500 which is exactly the same as the sony a3000 which is an e-mount with a dslr body and the cheapest e-mount body in terms of price. its lightweight, very cheap, has an e-mount and a very nice 20mp sensor, it is good if you want to mount telephoto lenses but its evf is a bit dated and the lcs is fixed, it is also using the old nex menu system which i find outdated, good if you just want to try mirrorless but i would rather recommend a used nex 6 than a brand new sony a3000.

i am a predominantly sony/pentax user so my preference will be on a sony.. as for the a6000, it is a model which came out a few years ago and with the way sony is coming out with new cameras with 4k recording, the nex a6xxx upgrade would probably be with internal 4k recording
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:11:50 AM by moodless »

Offline MixtureOfLightAndWater

• Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 21
  • Mabuhay!
  • Camera: Fujifilm
  • Field: Landscape
  • Model: X-T10
  • Nickname: L
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 06:46:11 AM »

Thank you also, @wewoy_romero and @RJ100!

You are right, @RJ100 - it seems I would have to give up the some of the speed/efficiency of DSLRs if shifting to mirrorless. I think I can live with that (at least for now). Hmmm, so far, I am torn apart between Fuji and Canon hehe. Although parang ok din ang Sony a6000! :)

Thanks, guys! Merry Christmas to all!

I suggest you go to stores and try if they have display/demo unit.

I tried the a6000 the other day and i find it suitable to my needs. Now torn between the x-t10 and the a6000. Price wise, very tempting yung a6000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
a frustrated drummer/singer/dancer. seasonal trekker/mountaineer/traveler. loves the rain, waterfalls, lightning, rainbow, and sunset. a good student, but a bit short in manners.
an explorer. a dreamer.

Offline moodless

• Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 35
  • DU30
    • FLICKR
  • Camera: Sony, Pentax, Canon
  • Field: Architectural
  • Model: GF2 X10 NEX-5N A7 KM-5D,
  • Nickname: Allan
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 12:22:24 AM »
the only thing i find against mirrorless is the absence of a material (in the case of dslr, the mirror) that would partially block dirt to go directly into the sensor surface.. this issue will not bother you much if you would only stick to a few lenses like most enthusiast do with their dslrs. The problem however is that mirrorless bodies will open up lots of possibilities to uses old manual lenses from the film era (some of which are dirt cheap compared to auto focus lenses made for digital cameras). this is where mirrorless bodies shines as the shorter flange distance makes it easy to use other mount lenses via an adapter without the need for correction glass on the adapter as with the case of e-mount from sony..

speaking of mirrorless, i just used my nex 5n for some night photography to see some christmas decor here in Singapore and immediately after doing long exposure, i can already see dust spots, hopefully can remove in pp as i dont want to redo and go to the busiest part of town here..

AF performance isnt really that much important to me as i mostly do landscapes and ocassional family portraits
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:25:55 AM by moodless »