!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Recent Forum Posts

looking to start a career in Photography by dondy.menelo
[December 14, 2018, 04:59:10 AM]

Club Filipina Magazine Japan by dondy.menelo
[December 14, 2018, 04:53:34 AM]

Please recommend canon camera semi pro by dondy.menelo
[December 13, 2018, 01:26:48 PM]

Ibat-ibang kababaihan... by rarevision
[December 13, 2018, 02:02:55 AM]

Photos Around Asia by mcCoy!
[December 10, 2018, 03:07:04 PM]

Cityscapes + Architecture Photographs? Share Here by mcCoy!
[December 06, 2018, 12:01:48 PM]

Mga Sikat... celebrity photos by rarevision
[November 27, 2018, 12:08:24 AM]

Life in New York by lenslover
[November 20, 2018, 02:31:45 AM]

What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2017? by ninia
[November 18, 2018, 01:59:53 PM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by mcCoy!
[November 15, 2018, 01:29:06 PM]

Author Topic: looking to start a career in Photography  (Read 4754 times)

Offline skin2.0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 6
  • Mabuhay!
  • Camera: Fuji
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: X20
  • Nickname: kokoy
looking to start a career in Photography
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:44:04 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm a hobbyist for quite some time now and recently decided to start a career in phoography. Although i consider myself omewhat as an intermediate shooter, i have no idea about the business side of this hobby so im looking for atleast two things right now which i think would help me so pls help me out if you have ideas or suggestions;
1. where is a good place to start taking courses in the learning the biz side of photography?
2. is there an appprenticeship program i can apply into or a mentor willing to take me in as an apprentice?

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

looking to start a career in Photography
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:44:04 AM »

Offline jigs10orio

• Org Member
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 200
  • www.jigstenorio.com
    • Jigs Tenorio dot com
  • Camera: Nikon, Huawei
  • Field: Architectural
  • Model: D750, D7200, P8
  • Nickname: Jigs
Re: looking to start a career in Photography
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:10:43 AM »
FPPF Basic and Advanced courses, or PCCI

Offline qlickster

• Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 07:29:15 AM »
PCCI or Phil Center for Creative Imaging.  :)
rexq.deviantart.com

Offline skin2.0

• Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 6
  • Mabuhay!
  • Camera: Fuji
  • Model: X20
  • Nickname: kokoy
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 07:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys. Really appreciate it. Yeah im familiar w fppf and pcci but do they offer mentorship programs? I think they only give workshops in photography lessons. Only pcci offers the photography business seminar though and it is scheduled in august. 

Offline john edward

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 1
  • Field: Landscape
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 10:28:19 AM »
If you're good enough and sign up for non-compete some top studios will hire you whether in advertising or wedding. May I caution you that it takes years to build a decent career in photography. If you're young and don't need the money much go for it. Reach out to pros and talk to them. See if it's the kind of life you like.

Offline diver_neil

• Scuba Instructor
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 07:55:36 AM »
do self study by reading books, magazines and online topics. join photo ops, practice and practice. ask the pros for advises. post your work for critics. it takes years to develop the skills. good luck!
Neil V. Castano
Scuba Instructor

Offline Fox_Two

• Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 32
  • Gotcha!
  • Camera: Canon
  • Field: Still Life
  • Model: Canon 7DM2 | Sigma 35mm f/1.4
  • Nickname: Rich
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 02:54:44 PM »
If you're an upstart in the business and you intend to rely solely on photography as your only or main source of income, unless you're some kid born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you're in for a surprise.  Gawin mo munang sideline ang photography sa umpisa and have another kind of work or stable source of income that you do on the side on top of pursuing your passion. 

Why?

1) Marami lowballers, all wanting to be the next big thing in the business in the shortest possible amount of time.  A lot of them go for quantity, not quality.  The more shoots, the better because to their way of thinking, it's gonna make them famous.  And yes, that includes people who shoot for free, killing the industry.  In short, it's a rat race.

2) The people we know who are well-established and household names in the business had years, even decades of experience under their belt.  They're not some Promil kid who bought a DSLR and then 3 months later, they're making P350,000 per shoot. Success wasn't built overnight.  Unfortunately, we see people with talent and lots of potential but with a lousy attitude.  The established pros would rather hire a new apprentice who lacks the skills but has the right attitude rather than a highly-skilled one with a bad attitude.  Skills could be passed on, good people could be trained.  But a bad attitude comes from within and it's already hardwired.

3) Some people are now hesitant to take in new apprentices because of past experiences where they ended up creating their own monsters -- parang tuta pa sa umpisa pero nung natuto na, they go strutting around like they're the next best thing since slice bread and their existence is God's ultimate gift to photography. 

So make a name for yourself the slow but sure way, take the long and winding road -- the road less traveled. Patience is a virtue. Ito lagi advice ni Kuya Ricky Ladia -- "Huwag apurado, darating din 'yan." :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:58:53 PM by Fox_Two »
”Your eye must see a composition or an expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera...."  - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Offline wed7

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 10
  • Camera: Pentax
  • Field: Still Life
  • Model: K-30
  • Nickname: Alvin
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »
imagination
K-30 15 | 21 | 35M | 70 | 100M WR | 16-85 WR
"The best camera is the one you have"

Offline chichi143

• Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 0
  • Mabuhay!
    • Let's be Instagram buddies :)
  • Camera: Nikon
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Model: D5200
  • Nickname: Rose
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
really good advice's here! salamat po. :)  ;D
I like the one mentioned above regarding attitude. When I went back to photography last year, I really went online and asked people some questions like how did they start their business and checked many portfolios online.

I joined forums and groups in Facebook. I joined one where there are a lot of rude people. Pero siyempre, super dami ring mababait. Would really reply to you and give you information. :)

Attitude talaga ang napansin kong difference sa iba. I would also rather hire someone na magaling Customer Service wise kesa someone who has bad attitude and doesn't take care of their clients. Something I would really really do when the time comes that I will have my own brand too. :)
“I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn’t photograph them.” – Diane Arbus

Offline artlover

• Marie Biscuits
  • Mabuhay!
  • Model: Canon G7x
  • Nickname: Harper
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 07:26:22 PM »
1. where is a good place to start taking courses in the learning the biz side of photography?
2. is there an appprenticeship program i can apply into or a mentor willing to take me in as an apprentice?

1. You can take classes online like in Skillshare.com or on Coursera.com - There are many online classes, tools, and resources on the web. Some photographers who are really great today started with self-teaching.

2. I don't know any photographer who takes in an apprentice. Most photographers are very busy for that. But I suggest you start building your porfolio first and showcase them online. You can do that if you create a website. I recommend you to use the hPage Website Builder which is a website creation service that lets you create free websites. It's very easy to use especially for beginners and the websites are SEO optimized meaning that people can easily find you on Google Search. You can host your photos there and post them online. They have a slideshow gallery feature which is perfect for photography websites or photography portfolios.

Build you brand first with a website. It also makes you look like a professional photographer too. Check out hPage Website Builder here: https://www.hpage.com

Offline dondy.menelo

• Marie Biscuits
  • Mabuhay!
  • Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Nickname: Dondy
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 04:59:10 AM »
Really having the same thoughts as OP I'm still learning photography but in future if the fates decided I want to take this to next level having clients, making pre-nup photos, also would love to do the video editing but not this time. I would gladly take those advice, I appreciate all replies :)

Tags: