!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Recent Forum Posts

Please recommend canon camera semi pro by likesups
[October 19, 2019, 07:23:48 PM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by likesups
[October 16, 2019, 08:42:20 PM]

Happy when It Rains by likesups
[October 14, 2019, 03:24:39 PM]

Life in New York by likesups
[October 12, 2019, 07:22:57 PM]

VRFPhotography by xcaliber14
[October 07, 2019, 09:53:08 AM]

FS: Nikon D850 dslr 45.7MP Camera body by fotoplace
[September 24, 2019, 07:11:49 PM]

Letting go of all or none at all. by wilybarrozo
[September 22, 2019, 09:41:27 PM]

Ibat-ibang kababaihan... by rarevision
[August 20, 2019, 05:42:45 PM]

Churches, Mosques, Synagogues etc - Places of Worship by rarevision
[August 07, 2019, 12:27:57 AM]

Mga Sikat... celebrity photos by rarevision
[August 07, 2019, 12:20:18 AM]

Author Topic: Sony A7II (5 axis IS Full Frame)  (Read 4356 times)

Offline yourdone

• Sofa King Amazing
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 71
  • Do Better. Get Better. Be Better.
  • Camera: Canon & Fuji
  • Field: Landscape
  • Model: 11D MkIII, UVIR X-A1
  • Nickname: Dan
Sony A7II (5 axis IS Full Frame)
« on: November 20, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbUXedWsbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikcKu89fDs

http://www.dcfever.com/news/readnews.php?id=11952

I guess this has the newer 24 MP sensor similar to the D750?

It's interesting that the A7R II was not announced as well, as that A7r could really make use of that 5 axis IS especially with the shutter slap issue above 300mm focal length
It will be even more amazing for videograhpers to have the A7s with 5 axis IS

The camera now weighs 599g, though it is still smaller than the 6D or D750, the weight advantage is not as pronounced as before as the A7 II is now less than 200g lighter

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

Sony A7II (5 axis IS Full Frame)
« on: November 20, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 1046
  • Camera: Fujifilm
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: Nikon D750
  • Nickname: Doc A
Re: Sony A7II (5 axis IS Full Frame)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:05:44 PM »
Dito lang muna to habang nasa speculative stage pa lang.

This sounds like an interesting update...

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:30:54 PM »
Sorry Dan, I was moving this around to and forth ....na announced na pala!!! Kahapon rumor pa lang to...bigla naannounced today!!! Yehey, tutoo na.

Offline yourdone

• Sofa King Amazing
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 08:04:46 AM »
I understand the confusion Doc, the A7 II was only officially announced in Japan and nowhere else in an official capacity. I too was looking at the usual sites like Dpreview for their usual hands-on preview when a new camwera is announced but found nothing. Curious why Sony Japan was the only announcer, perhaps they could or did not send out early review samples.

The 5 axis IS is nice, but will it be as effective with the bigger 35mm sensor?

I like the new grip and shutter button placement, the mark I A7 series bodies had things scrounged up too tightly, especially for someone with larger hands

The A7 II also seems to now have the new S Log 2 of the A7s, as well as a new codec.

the Sony A7 series seems to be the most competent system for videographers now, with the A7s for low light video, and the A7 II for everything else depending on how good the 5 axis IS is for video

I'm eager to see what Canon will put in their 5D Mk IV to regain the video crowd it has seemingly lost to the Panasonic and Sony salvo

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »
There are things behind the curtain that we may never see. I am not sure why this is Japan only edition initially. Sony is a struggling company and it is maybe a huge company but it is on the edge of extinction. Then just few days ago Japan went into recession. Suddenly without warning the IBIS suddenly is with Sony. Many are suspecting that this is an Oly tech. Did Oly give it away to help Sony? There is a possibility. Oly is a Sony subsidiary as we know months ago that Sony bought some portion of it. Competing companies give away a portion of their tech to rival company if that company is sinking. That is just to save it. Japanese mind set is different from the rest of the world. They won't cut each other's throat. Like what Canon did to Nikon when it was sinking, Canon handed to Nikon the AF-S tech secret . The Nikkor 80-200 AF-S was in the market briefly. Of course Japanese companies won't admit that. We can only speculate and we can dismiss it as a mere speculation. Nobody knows. However, as a user I have a high expectation that the IBIS will work on Sony mirror less body. It will usher a new era and hope Sony will rise from the ashes.

Offline yourdone

• Sofa King Amazing
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:13:23 AM »
Caveat Emptor to anyone interested in the camera, I was told by my favorite retailer in HK that like the Olympus 5 axis, you can not clean the sensor by yourself and it will need to be done at the service center. Apparently they will coat the sensor with a gel and then vacuum the gel to clean the sensor.
It's even more problematic as the A7's are well known for how susceptible to dust they are.
Since the local Sony service center for cameras is still in Balintawak, I ended up just getting the Canon Ph XMas sale on the 6D, which is suprisingly just 170g heavier than the A7 II, and with the EF 40mm/2.8 pancake only weighing 10g more than the FE 35/2.8 but at a quarter of the price

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Robot
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:40:12 PM »
The 5 axis seems to work well with adapted lenses after a FW update.

Here is one review:

http://www.sonyalphalab.com/product-review/sony-alpha-a7-ii-rolling-review-best-full-frame-mirrorless-camera/

The 5 axis stabilizer is a very nice selling point.

Offline ScubaStop

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 6
    • Ravenworks
  • Camera: Nikon, Olympus
  • Model: D700, D750, Olympus OM-D EM5
  • Nickname: Twomixdiver
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 09:55:16 PM »
Sony supposedly bought stock in Olympus, therefore I'm led to believe the image stabilization system of the Sony A7 comes from  licensing the patents of Olympus.

That said, I'm losing my excitement with the Sony A7 series of cameras, since the advantages of the mirrorless form factor seems to be compromised by its  relatively bulky native lenses. Add to that an average  battery endurance of less than 400 shots per charge.

It would have been great if the lenses were the size of the micro 4/3rds, but they're not.

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Robot
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:54:38 AM »
Sony supposedly bought stock in Olympus, therefore I'm led to believe the image stabilization system of the Sony A7 comes from  licensing the patents of Olympus.

That said, I'm losing my excitement with the Sony A7 series of cameras, since the advantages of the mirrorless form factor seems to be compromised by its  relatively bulky native lenses. Add to that an average  battery endurance of less than 400 shots per charge.

It would have been great if the lenses were the size of the micro 4/3rds, but they're not.
I've been shooting the x100s for almost everything. I am used to slow AF , poor battery mileage and lousy power indicator. I wish I could have a better camera in A7 series. Since every time I go back to my DSLR I feel a great sigh of relief. I am excited again with the in body stabilization of the a7 II but bigger and heavier lenses, not so good AF (no matter how they claim that it is 30 percent faster),difficulty in changing focus points  are downer to me.I don't understand why the alpha series like the a6000 and a7 has AF points that is difficult to fiddle. The X100s is not that difficult although you need to push a button twice. The newer Fuji iteration have AF point selection tremendously improved. Sony can solve that quirks by adding a touch screen which they did not on this new model. I think in my humble opinion it is a great miss opportunity by Sony for not listening to their users feed back.They have an excellent touch screen technology...but why Sony? Olympus and Panasonic are better cam to use but then for the rest of us who wants  bigger sensor and better IQ, we might wait a little longer. I am staying with Nikon for a few more years. I know Sony in few years will shoot down CaNikon once they can figure out all of these shortcomings.Nikon can still surprise us once they will apply their Nikon 1 technology to the bigger sensor. If not goodbye Nikon, hello Sony.

Offline yourdone

• Sofa King Amazing
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 01:14:40 PM »
For me, the big issue about the A7II is that it now weighs 599g with the batteries, compared that say to a D750 which weights 750g. That's only 151g, when you hold them together it's not much.
For anyone looking at the Sony's, I'd much rather go for the A7s which just has some amazing Hi ISO capabilities.
The A7s has built in IS anyways, by letting you go into ridiculous Hi ISOs with minimal noise to insure fast shutter speeds to combat motion blur

Tags: