!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Recent Forum Posts

adidas campus by likesups
[Yesterday at 07:17:39 PM]

adidas adilette by Jesse Temple
[Yesterday at 11:08:48 AM]

adidas ultra boost by Jesse Temple
[Yesterday at 11:03:16 AM]

Please recommend canon camera semi pro by likesups
[October 19, 2019, 07:23:48 PM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by likesups
[October 16, 2019, 08:42:20 PM]

Happy when It Rains by likesups
[October 14, 2019, 03:24:39 PM]

Life in New York by likesups
[October 12, 2019, 07:22:57 PM]

VRFPhotography by xcaliber14
[October 07, 2019, 09:53:08 AM]

FS: Nikon D850 dslr 45.7MP Camera body by fotoplace
[September 24, 2019, 07:11:49 PM]

Letting go of all or none at all. by wilybarrozo
[September 22, 2019, 09:41:27 PM]

Author Topic: It's Finally Official - The 7D Mark II  (Read 23974 times)

Offline bryanvcpalacio

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 119
  • Field: Landscape
Re: It's Finally Official - The 7D Mark II
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
I always take Ken Rockwell's statements with a grain of salt but im intrigued with his entry about the 7D mark 2, can someone please explain if this is true about the 7D?

"Pros have always had to bring or install our own huge multi-head strobe systems around an indoor arena to provide our own lighting, since most arena lighting, like mercury vapor, flickers at high rates. If you've ever noticed your indoor sports shots having inconsistently weird exposure and color, it's because these lights flicker faster than our eyes can see, but at 1/125 and above, the camera sees these flickers all too well. If your camera goes off at the instant the arena lights flicker dim, you get a dim shot, and as the power supply to the arena goes about its cycle 50, 60, 100 or 120 times each second, your shots come out randomly colored and exposed. Here's something else no other camera, not even the 1D X does: you can set the 7D Mark II to adjust its shutter release timing automatically to catch the arena's lighting at just the right instant of the power cycle so that your indoor gym and swimming photos finally come out correctly! Holy cow, now I can shoot ice hockey indoors and it will come out properly without needing strobes, whoo hoo!"

TIA!

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »

Offline dolina

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 237
    • Paolo-Dolina-Visuals
  • Field: Travel
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »
Bakit may CF card pa..mas ok ba yun kesa sa SD card..

He he panay ang tanong ko ah..interesado..
Target market for cameras like the 1D, 5D and 7D favour CF cards because until recently they were faster than SD cards. Read/writes of CF cards are limited to the PATA bus speed of 167MB/s via UDMA 7. It was only last February where actual SDXC cards with UHS-II bus started shipping that allowed for read/writes faster than 104MB/s.

Faster writes means less buffering & faster reads allows for faster transfers to other devices.

This is why I mention CFast cards that are based on the SATA bus. This limits the write/read speeds to 600MB/s.

Based on published specifications the 7D Mark II is a very good camera. I see a lot of wildlife/sports/action photogs to upgrade to this body despite its steep-ish price for the features provided.

I understand that the 7D Mark II can slave other 7D Mark II bodies wirelessly. Would prove to be useful to very creative creatives.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos.

Offline dolina

• Robot
    • Paolo-Dolina-Visuals
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »
I always take Ken Rockwell's statements with a grain of salt but im intrigued with his entry about the 7D mark 2, can someone please explain if this is true about the 7D?

"Pros have always had to bring or install our own huge multi-head strobe systems around an indoor arena to provide our own lighting, since most arena lighting, like mercury vapor, flickers at high rates. If you've ever noticed your indoor sports shots having inconsistently weird exposure and color, it's because these lights flicker faster than our eyes can see, but at 1/125 and above, the camera sees these flickers all too well. If your camera goes off at the instant the arena lights flicker dim, you get a dim shot, and as the power supply to the arena goes about its cycle 50, 60, 100 or 120 times each second, your shots come out randomly colored and exposed. Here's something else no other camera, not even the 1D X does: you can set the 7D Mark II to adjust its shutter release timing automatically to catch the arena's lighting at just the right instant of the power cycle so that your indoor gym and swimming photos finally come out correctly! Holy cow, now I can shoot ice hockey indoors and it will come out properly without needing strobes, whoo hoo!"

TIA!
This very much is a problem locally. This is why sports photogs abroad are allowed to bring their small strobes to overcome pre-installed lights. Sadly this isn't practiced here because of cost and the hassle of getting permission from the teams being covered.

Imagine a UAAP basketball finals loss being blamed on a photog strobing the crucual last quarter?

Sporting events like the FIFA World Cup and Olympics follow a lighting specification that are still and video camera-friendly.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:45:22 PM by dolina »

Offline yourdone

• Sofa King Amazing
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 71
  • Do Better. Get Better. Be Better.
  • Camera: Canon & Fuji
  • Model: 11D MkIII, UVIR X-A1
  • Nickname: Dan
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 04:34:27 PM »
Thom Hogan has several interesting articles related to the 7D MkII and seems to be favoring Canon's approach

Thom Hogan - Airbus vs Boeing
Canon has placed another bet on the pro/prosumer crop sensor (7DII), while Nikon keeps betting on a huge variety of FX cameras (D750). Who’s right?

I’d say Canon.

Thom Hogan - Nikon and Canon Reverse Positions
Nikon made the right choice in 2007. Canon has now made the same right choice in 2014. Unfortunately, Nikon seems to have forgotten their choice.

There are a few more articles indirectly related to the 7D Mark II but they all echo a similar sentiment. With the 5D mark III, 1Dx and 7D Mark II, Canon is satisfying its' customers' clamor while Nikon seems to want everyone to buy what it wants to put out.
Canon users seem to have been largely placated and satisfied with Canon's recent product launches despite no new full-frame camera since 2012, while Nikon users continue to bemoan the incremental product updates (adding 10's or S's) while continuing to ignore long time wants (re:D300s successor, a real D700 successor - a D700 with a 16 or 24mp sensor would make a LOT of people happy)
Despite the glaring lack of 4k on the 7D mark II there isn't such a huge backlash as say what happened on the Df or the quality control issues of recently released Nikon cameras

I'd also like to commend Canon on the LP-E6N being backwards compatible save for chargers. I know a lot of people have invested on numerous LP-E6's and it is encouraging to be able to still use these on future cameras until they die out and also be able to use the newer LP-E6N on older cameras that used the LP-E6
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:38:41 PM by yourdone »

Offline Gideon

• Linux Red Hat 5.0, Oracle 12c and VMware
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 5
  • Imagine the Possibilities
  • Camera: Canon
  • Model: 7D
  • Nickname: Pao
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
Wow! 2009 pa yung 7D, but ok pa din hanggang ngayon, especially with the Firmware Upgrade...

2014, lumabas na 7D MarkII at ramdam ang improvements, compared sa ibang brand na basta makapaglabas lang, kapurengget ang improvement... hehe...
Begin 2 Imagine

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 1046
  • Camera: Fujifilm
  • Model: Nikon D750
  • Nickname: Doc A
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 08:33:53 PM »
Sa ngayon  yong Samsung ang kacompetition ng 7d2. Wala naman nilalabas pa ang Nikon at baka hindi  na siguro. Nikon users have been clamoring for Nikon to release a d700 and d300s replacement. But Nikon is not listening. They have other plans....kaya for now the 7d2 is the king. We still have to see if Samsung NX1 is worthy adversary.

Online MixtureOfLightAndWater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 21
  • Mabuhay!
  • Model: X-T10
  • Nickname: L
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »

He he Doc gusto ko nga sumubok ng Canon yung 70d muntik na..may focus issue lang sa ibang mga lens nila..

OT: ano po yung focus issue with the 70D? sorry, a 70D new user here.

thanks! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
a frustrated drummer/singer/dancer. seasonal trekker/mountaineer/traveler. loves the rain, waterfalls, lightning, rainbow, and sunset. a good student, but a bit short in manners.
an explorer. a dreamer.

Offline pogzz505

• "God is good all the time"
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 195
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Nickname: Romel
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 07:16:49 PM »
Pag wide aperture ang gamit mo like f1.4 or 2.8..using the viewfinder..hindi spot on ang focus niya..pero pag live view ang ginamit mo naka-focus naman..hindi lahat ng lens may ganung problem..

Check sa you tube may explanation sila..

Online MixtureOfLightAndWater

• Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 21
  • Mabuhay!
  • Nickname: L
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 11:58:26 PM »
^^ many thanks sir. :)
a frustrated drummer/singer/dancer. seasonal trekker/mountaineer/traveler. loves the rain, waterfalls, lightning, rainbow, and sunset. a good student, but a bit short in manners.
an explorer. a dreamer.

Offline Fox_Two

• Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 32
  • Gotcha!
  • Camera: Canon
  • Field: Still Life
  • Model: Canon 7DM2 | Sigma 35mm f/1.4
  • Nickname: Rich
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 10:57:27 AM »
For me, the decision would be tricky should I give Canon a try.  Dagdagan mo kasi ng konti, EOS 6D full-frame na 'yan.  Add another P6k or so for a 50mm 1.8 and you already have a starter setup.
”Your eye must see a composition or an expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera...."  - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Offline icedeocampo

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
The 6d has a focusing system akin to that of a 5d2. 7d2 should be closer do a 1dx...  In sports photography (most people cant afford a 1d),  7d2 should be king...  I could shoot a race with a 6d... but Id rather use the 7d1 instead,  and I'd probably love the 7d2.  I had a couple of 7ds back then,  and while the 19 point focus looked inferior to the Nikon's 51, in practice...  the 7d gave me more keepers than my D300,  it tracked subjects consistently.
Never argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline pogzz505

• Robot
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 03:11:32 AM »
Canon will announce something..

http://seeimpossible.usa.canon.com/

Offline johnnyblues

• Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 5
  • Camera: Canon, Olympus
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 12:13:22 AM »
The 6d has a focusing system akin to that of a 5d2. 7d2 should be closer do a 1dx...  In sports photography (most people cant afford a 1d),  7d2 should be king...  I could shoot a race with a 6d... but Id rather use the 7d1 instead,  and I'd probably love the 7d2.  I had a couple of 7ds back then,  and while the 19 point focus looked inferior to the Nikon's 51, in practice...  the 7d gave me more keepers than my D300,  it tracked subjects consistently.

Indeed. I have a 5-yr old toddler and the 6D (AI Servo) can barely keep track of her doing a simple kindergarten obstacle course in a fairly-lit gymnasium. Made me curse my selling of the 7D. This mark 2 version should fix that. Never liked the iso 3200 of the original. :)
In GOD we trust... everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.

Offline pogzz505

• Robot
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 03:16:51 AM »
bumili si Fro..

Small | Large

Offline yourdone

• Sofa King Amazing
  • Robot
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4RDZ66FpMo

Interesting RAW comparison between the 7D Mark II and 5D Mark III @ ISO1600 converted through Canon DPP that the 7D Mark II files looks better than the full frame Mark III

Canon EOS 7D Mk II review: Low ISO performance lags behind rivals

Coupled with the Dxomark review, it seems Canon took a different approach with the sensor in that the base ISO was not improved, but whatever image quality one gets with the base ISO, the image quality is retained a lot better throughout the ISO range.
This is something quite different as were used to camera's with degrading image quality as you go to higher ISO, but the 7D Mark II's sensor seems to have insured better IQ at higher ISO

I wonder if Canon will incorporate the same sensor design ethos with the 6D and 5D mark III replacements

Offline yourdone

• Sofa King Amazing
  • Robot
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 05:17:44 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4RDZ66FpMo

Interesting RAW comparison between the 7D Mark II and 5D Mark III @ ISO1600 converted through Canon DPP that the 7D Mark II files looks better than the full frame Mark III

Canon EOS 7D Mk II review: Low ISO performance lags behind rivals

Coupled with the Dxomark review, it seems Canon took a different approach with the sensor in that the base ISO was not improved, but whatever image quality one gets with the base ISO, the image quality is retained a lot better throughout the ISO range.
This is something quite different as were used to camera's with degrading image quality as you go to higher ISO, but the 7D Mark II's sensor seems to have insured better IQ at higher ISO

I wonder if Canon will incorporate the same sensor design ethos with the 6D and 5D mark III replacements

Looks like Canon was a bit naughty with the default settings of the 7D Mark II in DPP as it automatically adds some USM sharpening and a higher degree of noise reduction.
Tony did a follow-up video and showed that there was only a 2/3 stop ISO improvement reflecting the 26% higher dxomark score

Offline dean

• Robot
  • Liked: 42
    • Multiply
  • Nickname: dean
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 01:06:26 PM »
7D II Teardown
“So there you have it. This is, by dissection at least, the most thoroughly weather-sealed camera I’ve ever run across. (I would point out that I don’t take apart every camera so please don’t change my wording to say it’s the most weather sealed camera. I don’t know that.) But this isn’t just market-speak weather sealing. It’s a thorough and complete attempt to seal every possible crack and crevice the camera has.”

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/11/cracking-open-the-7d-ii

Offline dean

• Robot
  • Liked: 42
    • Multiply
  • Nickname: dean
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »
here's something from DPR's interview with Masaya Maeda - Managing Director and Chief Executive, Image Communication Products Operations at Canon and it sort of gives an insight on the performance of the 7D II based on DXO's lab tests:

(emphasis mine)
DPR:  One thing we know from our own testing is that Canon DSLR sensors can’t quite compete with some modern sensors from Sony in terms of dynamic range. How important to you is developing sensor technology?

Canon/MM:  We are very focused on getting the best image quality. I’m not sure what measurements you’re looking at but when it comes to dynamic range for example we consider image quality as a whole, from low to high ISO sensitivities and on balance we consider our sensors to be the best.

My ideal camera is one that can take a picture in any environment from complete darkness to the brightest sunshine.

DPR:  So in your opinion your sensors are currently the best on the market?

Canon/MM: Yes. In the EOS 7D Mark II for example the sensor we’ve us

Offline pitbull

• Impeous Man
  • Trade Count: (42)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 1124
  • Patron ng mga Kolehiyala
    • Ang blog ng mga pogi
  • Camera: X20
  • Nickname: Ninong
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 01:35:31 PM »
hanep din sa self confidence si pogi,a :o :o :o

Offline dolina

• Robot
    • Paolo-Dolina-Visuals
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 10:11:56 AM »
Technological superiority is like a seesaw. Minsan you're pitbull or you're a bottomdog. ^-^

Back a decade ago I know of a lot of Nikon working photogs who switched over to the Canon 10D because of the  then superior ISO performance. It is possible that some photogs would switch over to Sony but it is difficult to switch if you are deeply invested with one system.

I see Canon making a Sony-like transition from SLR to mirrorless. It is better to obsolete one's self than have your competitor do it for you.

So who here has a 7D Mark II body already? I look forward to your images. :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 10:14:32 AM by dolina »

Tags: