!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Author Topic: Losing interest in Photography due to "Sucky" setup  (Read 8200 times)

Offline coffeebugg

• Salaryman Sith Lord
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 148
  • I defenestrate people
    • Hallucinogenic Java
  • Camera: Canon, Panasonic
  • Field: Travel
  • Nickname: Wich
Re: Losing interest in Photography due to "Sucky" setup
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 12:16:53 AM »
You'll have to understand that DSLR's are a completely different animal from P&S.

There are so many things you can tinker with on a DSLR that if you really don't know what you're doing it will really leave you disappointed. First things first, learn how to use your camera.

So basically, I love to take shots but I dont like to tinker so much with settings.  Always keep it in Program mode unless i want to overexpose or under expose a shot.  Hope you get what I mean.

Not exploring what your camera can do will indeed always leave you lacking and wanting. Laziness and instant gratification is one of the biggest hindrances any photographer will come across that will get in the way from being a good photog to a great photog.

All I'm after for is nice quality shots that I can zoom in and yet not be so pixelized. When it comes to colors, I want my shots to be vibrant without any manipulation whatsoever

These are 2 very simple problems you are encountering. You may have just not set your camera to the largest available file size it can deliver. As for colors, I know Canon DSLR's have several presets that you can switch from, or if that still doesn't work for you, there's white balance.

I cannot re-iterate this enough to any of my friends who ask about something they do not understand about their newly bought gadget:Refer to the manual.
"Way too much coffee. But if it weren't for the coffee, I'd have no identifiable personality whatsoever." - David Letterman

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 12:16:53 AM »

Offline Beachbum888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 12:49:53 AM »
Thank you CoffeeBugg/Wich for your very informative reply :)  Believe me, I've already done so many experimental shots on this 40D of mine ever since purchasing it back in 2007.  One majot issue I have with my setup is when i take group shots or even solo shots of ppl during daytime.  For instance, my son plays baseball so I often take shots of him in the field.  Most in not all the time, I find my shots either perfectly exposed in everything but the facial area.  If i tinker with settings I will end up overexposing the sky to get the right exposure of my sons face...
Let me attach samples so u know what I mean:

258, facial area too dark
280, facial area too dark
004, overexposed in everyway possible (background/foreground)

When I use my flash and medyo closeup shots naman, I am more satisfied... Pero kung pwede sana sharper yun image when I zoom in, then GREAT! :)
like with this:
, on Flickr
, on Flickr
, on Flickr
, But notice that you can't see the lower part that clearly since it appears too dark.  But with the visual eye, it is visibly better. :(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:16:13 AM by Beachbum888 »

Offline arkiroms

• Ehem, Ehem
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 311
  • Big things come in small packages
  • Camera: Canon, Fujifilm, Apple
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Model: 40D, X10, iPhone 5s
  • Nickname: Romyr
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 01:57:52 AM »
Outdoor shots are really tricky especially when taken under the harsh afternoon sun, it's either you use flash (a really strong one for long shots) or reflector.

I think your situation is not about gear but proper technique, knowledge and experience on using your gear. Don't get stuck on P Mode, experiment with Manual, Aperture or Shutter Priorities to get your desired exposure.

In an attempt to provide a little inspiration, if any, here is a sample outdoor shot of mine under a harsh afternoon sun using Canon 40D and 18-55 kit lens, same as yours. No flash used, just a reflector to light up her beautiful face. This is SOOC (straight out of camera) by the way.

Joyce by RomyrMariano, on Flickr

This one I used 40D and 24-70L @70mm so you can say she's a bit far away from me, flash is fired here. Again this is SOOC.

Mica by RomyrMariano, on Flickr

Pansinin mo parang mas matingkad pa kulay nung kuha sa kit lens kumpara sa kuha sa L. ;D

Offline Beachbum888

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 02:17:01 AM »
That's just my point.  I guess I'll classify myself as the Lazy photographer nga... Pano kse like when I'm traveling at wala ako dalang reflector.  What I probably need is a camera that doesn't need the extra accessories to get the desired output.  Nakakainis kse like when I use other brands for instance, and I get better results pa... i guess important rin talaga yun STRRROOOOOOOONG flash.  All I'm using is a 430EX kse, parang bitin na bitin :(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:23:06 AM by Beachbum888 »

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 1046
  • Camera: Fujifilm
  • Model: Nikon D750
  • Nickname: Doc A
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 08:42:34 AM »
You need to work a little more harder in your camera before you can nail the desired shots that you are wishing for.Even before taking the shot at least you have an idea what your shots will appear before pushing the button. It is a man-machine combo. It is should be that way IMHO. You should know what your camera could and could not do.There are plenty of compensation dial or menu driven option when you want to push the camera's limit. Shortcomings will be done in PP. If you are OC, even the seems so perfect exposure still needs a little tweaking. However it depends on the individual's taste and preference. It is frustrating indeed if you can't get a bit of a success. Success breeds Success. That feeling is a reminiscent of people during their early stage in Photography. They work harder by reading ,studying, going to classes. The most important is practice,practice, practice. I will still go to school someday when I will have my time. Maybe when I will retire. I know I can do more with photography but the lack of schooling and time to practice limits my ability. I never blamed my gear, they are just inanimate object that can't decide on their own.

Now( this is a BI and don't take this seriously...he he he bahala ka but this is just to make you smile) if you don't really want Canon's system then go and look for something that fits your style. Oly has a good jpeg output in IMHO or you can come to MAMA Fuji (beautiful colors, ha ha ha ha). I am using my x100s as an expensive P@S( minsan lang naman) and I still get the results that I wanted. I shoot with it in Jpeg, most of the time partner ArKI ( I don't have the gift like you...high 5 for you on nice portrait. I am so inspired on what the aging 40D can do in the right hands)....OT na at BI pa ..back to the topic guys. Peace and Cheers.

Offline pogzz505

• "God is good all the time"
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 195
  • Model: X-T10
  • Nickname: Romel
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 09:48:17 AM »
sir dun sa shots kasi maraming naka-white and yung isa ang bright ng background kaya akala ng camera maliwanag na yung exposure,,ang hindi alam ng camera yung face ng person ang gusto natin maliwanag kaya ang result madilim yung face and correct yung exposure ng white shirt..

flash will do the trick pag outdoors gaya ng sample ni Romyr..even the pop up flash can do it basta hindi masyado malayo..

yung toy na tank maganda ang exposure..galing sa camera left yung bounce ng flash..

Offline paul0415

• Pitbull's D7000 Club member
  • Robot
  • Liked: 8
  • Pitbull's D7000 Club member
  • Camera: Nikon
  • Model: D4s D7000 XE-2
  • Nickname: Adrian
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 08:32:59 PM »
Try to learn how to play with picture control it helps in jpeg:) dont let it pull you down. Getting sharp shots takes practice. Alamin mo lang yun kiliti ng focus ng cam mo.
D4s | D7000 | AF-S NIKKOR 24-70 mm 1:2.8G | AF-S NIKKOR 70-200 mm 1:2.8GII ED | SB-910 | Think Tank Street Walker Pro | Benro A-2691 + B1 | Fuji XE-2

Offline rawen

• Robot
  • Liked: 439
  • I shoot to earn my beer.
    • images from two dimensions
  • Camera: Canon Lumix
  • Field: Landscape
  • Model: Canon Eos 1000d and Lumix LX5
  • Nickname: Rawen
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 10:02:31 AM »
That's just my point.  I guess I'll classify myself as the Lazy photographer nga... Pano kse like when I'm traveling at wala ako dalang reflector.  What I probably need is a camera that doesn't need the extra accessories to get the desired output.  Nakakainis kse like when I use other brands for instance, and I get better results pa... i guess important rin talaga yun STRRROOOOOOOONG flash.  All I'm using is a 430EX kse, parang bitin na bitin :(

I see a word 'lazy' in your post. Laziness won't get you anywhere in your chosen craft, but rather an armchair shooter. Noted photographers work hard to get the shot they wanted be it for web posting and printing. Try reading articles and books on photography. Then work hard to improve you images by exploiting your gear. Learn to walk the extra mile to make a difference. Keep on shooting the free world. cheers!

Offline vorzavage

• Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 8
  • Mabuhay!
  • Camera: nikon,sony,olympus
  • Model: D4,RX1,EM1
  • Nickname: PBL
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
Sa portrait eto ang pinakasharp na combination kaso Micro 4/3 lang. Olympus EM1 at 75 mm na lens. Wala ka nang hahanapin pa  ;)

Offline FredThomasPhoto

• Marie Biscuits
  • Mabuhay!
    • Fred Thomas Photography
  • Model: Fuji X Pro-1
  • Nickname: Fred
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 12:21:05 PM »
Pinatubo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23396893@N06/14641166295/
Cory Burial: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23396893@N06/14454560798/

Looking at your images they are under exposed.  That causes any number of problems from noise in the shadows to flat looking images with no punch.  I shot with 5D Mk II's before switching over to Fujifilm X Series.

The 40D has a 12 bit sensor that can differentiate 4,094 (= 212) tonal values that it must pack into some 9 exposure values.

The first 1/2 or 2,047 tonal values are on the highlight side.  Divide that in half and the next 1/4 only gets 1,023.  Divide that in half as we head towards the shadow side of the histogram and the next
1/4 only gets 512 (+/-) and the shadow 1/4 only has 260 bits of data!

So you simply need to "Expose To The Right" pushing it up against the right side of the histogram, BUT NOT OVER AND CLIPPING your highlights.  The first two quarters from the right hold all that great color and image data to make your images will jump off the screen!  Promise!

You will know you are getting the desired exposures when you have to make Minus Exposure Adjustments in PhotoShop or Lightroom (or whatever you use).   You will be shocked at how much image data can be recovered doing this.

Learn how the 40D metering system does its job.  It is reflected metering.  If you used a light meter and measured the light falling on the subject (Ambient Light Meter) and used that Aperture / Shutter Speed the problem would solve itself and you might not understand why.  But now you do know why.

The shadow area only has 256 bits of data out of the 4,094!

Let me know how it goes please!  I know you are going to fall in love with your gear all over again when you start getting the results you want.  You asked a great question!  You described what you did not like.  Now you know how to fix it.

Cheers
Fred

Sorry for such a long answer, but I wanted you to know what the problem is, why the problem exists but more importantly you now know how to fix it.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:24:08 PM by FredThomasPhoto »
"The visible world is no longer a reality and the unseen world is no longer a dream."  W.B. Yeats

Tags: