!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Author Topic: Losing interest in Photography due to "Sucky" setup  (Read 8201 times)

Offline Beachbum888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 0
Losing interest in Photography due to "Sucky" setup
« on: July 12, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »
I'm now at the crossroads... anyone have any suggestions? In general, my problem is lack of sharpness and richness in color. As a result, I just end up using my GoPro instead (since they practically have the same quality and color)

Current setup is a Canon 40D, 50mm 1.8, 55-250IS kit zoom lens?, 18-55IS kit lens, Sigma 24-55 2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

Losing interest in Photography due to "Sucky" setup
« on: July 12, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »

Offline nowell

• Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 2
  • Mabuhay!
  • Camera: canon
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Model: 60d
  • Nickname: Nowell
Re: Losing interest in Photography due to "Sucky" setup
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »
I'm also a canon user.. 60d + 50mm 1.8.. that's also my experiences for the first 3months using a dslr.. i know a member here who only uses just like my setup and his photos are amazing.. May i ask if you're a newbie like me.. i think your not a beginner with the lenses you have.. This morning i read an article in petapixel.. It's not always about the gear but more importantly it's you..your skills as a photographer.. http://petapixel.com/2014/07/11/simple-chart-every-photographer-keep-back-pocket-reminder/

In your case there are many factors why your'e getting lack of sharpness and contrast photos.. Please do check your gear first..make some experiments..compare.. Second check your skills..your photos can be enhanced in post processing with the powerful software programs use by pro photographers like photoshop,lr,aperture etc.. please do post your photos here.. so that others can see the reason behind your experienced.. include your camera settings.. it will also be helpful if you provide a downloadable link of your photos..raw format..

this is just a beginners advice..

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 1046
  • Camera: Fujifilm
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: Nikon D750
  • Nickname: Doc A
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:39:55 PM »
I'm now at the crossroads... anyone have any suggestions? In general, my problem is lack of sharpness and richness in color. As a result, I just end up using my GoPro instead (since they practically have the same quality and color)

Current setup is a Canon 40D, 50mm 1.8, 55-250IS kit zoom lens?, 18-55IS kit lens, Sigma 24-55 2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8
How long have you been using your gear. What is your experience in photography? You have a very nice setup.

Offline big blue cheese

• what's your hurry, superman?
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 474
  • up, up, and away!
  • Camera: nikon
  • Field: Landscape
  • Model: d5000
  • Nickname: jojo
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:38:24 PM »
your "sucky" setup may not be the reason why you seem to lose interest in photography. you claim that there is a lack in clarity and vibrance in color but perhaps it isn't the "fault" of your gear but more on learning how to maximize your gear.

i know so little of gopro's capabilities but you may be comparing apples to oranges if i am not mistaken.

i have read stories of great photographers accused of having great photos because of their gear. so they were given a simple point and shoot camera and the output was still amazing.

also, what if you change the type of photogaphy you are currently into. for example, if you are into landscape photography right now, why not try portraits, street photography, still art, and see where it would take you.

better yet, why not enroll in a basic photography seminar like the one being offered by Jo Avila?

when i started in photography, out of 200 shots, only 5 were good ones. the rest lack sharpness, composition, drama, and just about anything. after a couple of years, my landscape shots are still below average. i found the colors so boring and monotonous.

that is how i got interested in infrared photography, most especially monochrome infrared images.

so my advice to you...don't give up yet. don't be so hard on yourself. for all we know, you may just be criticizing your work at such high standards while your work may be really amazing to others who see them.

it isn't our setup or our gear that we sometimes need to change....it might also be our lack of knowledge from what we are doing  ;)
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then we summon the will, they soon become inevitable"
Christopher Reeve

Offline ajfudge

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 8
  • Mabuhay!
  • Camera: Nikon, Canon
  • Model: D5000, Rebel 66
  • Nickname: AJ
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:14:12 AM »
@Beachbum888,

I don't think you're lacking interest. I think you're simply frustrated. Those are different feelings. :)

Here's my advice. Out of all the photos you have shot, pick the worst... yung pinaka-pangit mong shot. Then the next time you go out shooting, compare your new shots with that ugliest shot. See if thing improve. Don't under-estimate the value of practice.

Your list of gear sounds good. If you're a newbie, it takes a while for one's skill to match up the capabilities of your tools. Just don't lose patience. Good luck.  :)

Offline Beachbum888

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 02:58:47 AM »
First of all, thank you very much for your honest replies and great advice.  Yeah, maybe I'm more frustrated than losing interest since I always love to zoom in my photos (ala CSI) to see the itsy bitsy details.  Been shooting ever since I got my first digital camera in '98 I think.  It was an Epson PhotoPC 700.  Always was amazed how I could just upload a picture to a website I was making without using a scanner anymore.  Also the richness and crispness of the photos it produced back then were awesome! Later migrated to Fuji Finepix and Olympus (lcd Tiltable).  Loved the Fuji most out of the point and shoot cameras.  The colors and sharpness of my photographs were out of this era :) But wanting more, I finally decided to shift to DLSR, this was when the Canon 40D first came out.  Actually, I trusted the name too much that I just went with the 40D without even doing my homework as to checking the specs, sample shots etc.  It came with the kit lens plus i got the zoom lens so i could also shoot far away objects.  Since day 3, my complaint has always been the lack of richness in color and sharpness or crispness of the photos I take.  Mostly take family pictures by the way, and sometimes landscapes... So as a result, I would always enhance my pictures in Photoshop.  This was getting tiring and my library was building... til I just got sawa and just decided to buy a goPro since my gear was getting to be too bulky (especially with the 70-200 zoom lens).  That thing alone already filled up half of the camera compartment of my slingshot bag.  So basically, I love to take shots but I dont like to tinker so much with settings.  Always keep it in Program mode unless i want to overexpose or under expose a shot.  Hope you get what I mean. :)

Here are examples of my pictures: the one of Cory's burial is untouched while the one of Pinatubo Crater I may have tweaked a bit in Photoshop :)

PRES CORY AQUINO's CONVOY SLEX
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=126649033736&set=a.125706183736.99768.696603736&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-xpa1%2Ft1.0-9%2F1916944_126649033736_5458967_n.jpg&size=604%2C408

INSIDE PINATUBO CRATER
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150245849928737&set=a.321504443736.147952.696603736&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-xpf1%2Ft31.0-8%2F279862_10150245849928737_941998_o.jpg&smallsrc=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-frc3%2Ft1.0-9%2F264617_10150245849928737_941998_n.jpg&size=806%2C539

Offline ajfudge

• Ovalteenees
  • Mabuhay!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 03:56:47 AM »
@beachbum888

You have been shooting far longer than I. :)
I haven't used the 450D nor the GoPro so I really can't comment on those.  :P
Anyway, Facebook says "content currently unavailable", so I can't see your photos.

Offline Beachbum888

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 05:11:41 AM »
is there a way to attach photos here? :)

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Robot
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 11:00:40 AM »
is there a way to attach photos here? :)
At least you should have a flickr account or similar application to embed photos here.

Offline romzL

• Insect chaser :D
  • PiPho Org Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 305
  • Camera: OMG
  • Field: Landscape
  • Nickname: romz
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 02:40:33 PM »
Based on what you say, I think one of the reason could also be the size of your gears. Bringing bulky DSLR with their big and heavy lenses is indeed frustrating and tiring most of the time so you will just end up leaving them at home and be contended with just your mobile phone or the Go Pro as you have said since its very light, handy and can give you "almost" the same output.
<< Insert wise quote here >>

Offline Beachbum888

• Marie Biscuits

Offline Oggy

• Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 57
  • Camera: Canon
  • Model: 7D
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
Bro, I cant see anything wrong with your pics..practice lang and a little improvement in composition..the Pinatubo pic is great  :)

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Robot

Offline Beachbum888

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 03:34:01 PM »
Sorry but what is a BB code? Thanks Oggy, but my problem is lack of color and sharpness. the pinatubo is ok kse namanipulate ko na sya sa ps. :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:00:26 PM by Beachbum888 »

Offline leekumkee

• Robot
  • Liked: 92
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 04:20:32 PM »
Sorry but what is a BB code? Thanks Oggy, but my problem is lack of color and sharpness. the pinatubo is ok kse namanipulate ko na sya sa ps. :)

May option sa Flickr to share your photos, ung picture na parang arrow, click mo un tapos makikita mo BBC code, copy and paste mo sa forum ung ma generate na link.

"If you want to be delighted always, be in the heart of the image"
My 500px | My flickr

Offline arkiroms

• Ehem, Ehem
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 311
  • Big things come in small packages
  • Camera: Canon, Fujifilm, Apple
  • Model: 40D, X10, iPhone 5s
  • Nickname: Romyr
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »
Actually you can post a photo using your FB, just click on the photo then right click > copy image url, after that type these without spaces in between > [i m g] *paste url here* [/i m g]

URL should end with ".jpg"

Btw, ano ba ang paborito mo i-shoot? Do you have a preferred genre or kahit ano lang? Different fields require different sets of gear, skills, time, etc. Baka din kulang ka lang ng inspiration kaya ka nafu-frustrate sa shots mo...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:32:20 PM by arkiroms »

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Robot
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 07:32:04 PM »
Tingnan mo yong mga shots ng partner ko  ;D :D ...super ganda naman ng mga insecto ah!!Kung pang National Geographic ang expectation mo ibang usapan na yan. Try viewing your pics in a big computer screen o kaya print mo para mainspire ka.Kong OOC na jpegs ang gusto mo ,di ba kailangan i-tweak yong camera settings sa shooting menu.Daming Canon user dito pwede ka nilang mainspire.

Offline ajfudge

• Ovalteenees
  • Mabuhay!
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 07:54:18 PM »
Beachbum888,

Di ko alam kung ano ang tawag ng Canon sa Picture Control (Saturation ba?). You could try adjusting that and see if it meets your needs. Play with your camera's settings.

Baka kasi yung type of look that you're aiming for is an HDR image. Iba talaga ng look ng HDR pagdating sa colors. That's something that needs to be done in HDR software. If yun nga ang aim mo, mag-Exposure bracket ka and stack your image in PS or HDR-dedicated software.

Offline Oggy

• Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 57
  • Camera: Canon
  • Model: 7D
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »
Checkout the link below Bro, it could be of help..

http://digital-photography-school.com/using-canons-picture-styles/

Offline Beachbum888

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »
Thank you for all your helpful tips... Honestly I consider myself the least bit of a perfectionist. All I'm after for is nice quality shots that I can zoom in and yet not be so pixelized. When it comes to colors, I want my shots to be vibrant without any manipulation whatsoever. Since day 7 with my 40D, I've had this feeling that I bought the wrong brand :p in fact sometimes I even tell myself that I may have even gotten a lemon unit. So happens that I was even getting clearer pictures with my non DLSR Fuji Finepix s2000. Now I am contemplating whether I would sell everything and start from scratch or just stick with a decent point and shoot nalang since there are so many nowadays. :(

Tags: