!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Author Topic: Help pls.>> Macro Lens 100mm for my Canon G10  (Read 2189 times)

Offline GabSantos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 0
  • Camera: Canon
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Model: PowerShot G10
  • Nickname: Gabe
Help pls.>> Macro Lens 100mm for my Canon G10
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »
Is it really possible to mount a Canon 100mm macro lens on my G10? Can I get a detailed components list on how to do this? I am gearing up for a new hobby on clinical-photography and I greatly appreciate any tips and advice. Thanks! --newbie :)

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

Help pls.>> Macro Lens 100mm for my Canon G10
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »

Offline romzL

• Insect chaser :D
  • PiPho Org Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 305
  • Camera: OMG
  • Field: Landscape
  • Nickname: romz
Re: Help pls.>> Macro Lens 100mm for my Canon G10
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
i don't think that is possible since the G10 is NOT an interchangeable lens camera.

if you want to get more macro capability from your G10, you can check if there are any Raynox that is compatible with it or try searching some tele converters that are also compatible with the G10
<< Insert wise quote here >>

Offline fgl35

• Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 60
  • Field: Travel
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »
in addition to what romzL suggested, you can try this one ---->Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Lens fits 52 - 67mm ...it fits the G10 if you have one of the filter sizes mentioned

My 500px and flickr page

Offline castoclown

• DMD, MScD
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 50
    • My 2012 Portraits
  • Camera: 1D2
  • Model: Canon
  • Nickname: JR
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 03:12:18 PM »
I agree with romz in that it can't be done. Your best chance is to get an adapter and a macro lens/converter that will fit that adapter.

And then get an LED ringlight and that should be a decent set-up for clinical photography. Btw, what will your be your usual subjects? The G10 in itself has decent macro capabilities already.

Offline GabSantos

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:50:11 PM »
thanks @fgl35, @romzL and @castoclown for your posts.

i agree and even in the manual it says that i can only affix the Tele-converter TC-DC58D and now fgl35 posted that i can also use the Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Lens.  but i found this link>> http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=851699
the photographer was able to use and mount a 50mm lens on the Canon G11?

i need to use a 100mm macro lens so i can pull-back and not be too near the patient/subject and yet produce wide true macro clear closeups.  i now have a generic adapter tube A+B (i think) at 58mm.  what i don't know is how to (possible??) mount a macro lens on this tube?

yes, i am investing on an LED ringlight.  does a macro lens have a provision for filters so i can mount the ringlight at the end of the lens?

Offline romzL

• PiPho Org Member
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 05:59:44 AM »
thanks @fgl35, @romzL and @castoclown for your posts.

i agree and even in the manual it says that i can only affix the Tele-converter TC-DC58D and now fgl35 posted that i can also use the Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Lens.  but i found this link>> http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=851699
the photographer was able to use and mount a 50mm lens on the Canon G11?

i need to use a 100mm macro lens so i can pull-back and not be too near the patient/subject and yet produce wide true macro clear closeups.  i now have a generic adapter tube A+B (i think) at 58mm.  what i don't know is how to (possible??) mount a macro lens on this tube?

yes, i am investing on an LED ringlight.  does a macro lens have a provision for filters so i can mount the ringlight at the end of the lens?

i don't think it has a filter ring. i think youre best chance of getting a good focusing distance without getting very near to your subject is just to use a teleconverter. mind you, using a Canon 100mm, you will still need to get your lens a bit close to the subject to get a good magnification.

Offline GabSantos

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 06:18:52 PM »
thanks @romzL

i have been reading some docs/threads about clinical photography.. what to use - teleconverter or true macro lens and almost all advise to use the 100mm 1:1 macro lens.  i am given a hope with this thread >> http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=851699  that it is still possible to use a true macro lens on my G10. 

problem is i just dunno what component, gadget or adapter to use to attach the macro lens to my extension tube?  i only need to pull-back a little from the subject.  at what focusing and working distance will the 100mm macro lens allow me?

Offline romzL

• PiPho Org Member
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 05:53:35 AM »
thanks @romzL

i have been reading some docs/threads about clinical photography.. what to use - teleconverter or true macro lens and almost all advise to use the 100mm 1:1 macro lens.  i am given a hope with this thread >> http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=851699  that it is still possible to use a true macro lens on my G10. 

problem is i just dunno what component, gadget or adapter to use to attach the macro lens to my extension tube?  i only need to pull-back a little from the subject.  at what focusing and working distance will the 100mm macro lens allow me?

how much magnification do you really need for your subject? if you need 1:1, you will have to be very close to the subject

Offline GabSantos

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 09:57:58 AM »
how much magnification do you really need for your subject? if you need 1:1, you will have to be very close to the subject
[/quote]

thanks @romzL

i maybe doing mostly closeups like for example half-face, arms, hands, chest(half-trunk), scalp and for some - 1:1 magnification for clearer details like skin problems, wounds etc.

Offline vproject

• Zeonic Crab
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 17
  • What the heck is a jigawatt?!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 10:13:19 AM »
The minimum focusing distance of the G10 is already 1 cm from the subject. How much closer to you need to get? Can you post sample pics taken from your G10?
My Flickr page! :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vproject/
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.