!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Ibat-ibang kababaihan... by rarevision
[Yesterday at 05:42:45 PM]

Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, by araal
[August 15, 2019, 02:17:23 AM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by mcCoy!
[August 07, 2019, 11:15:58 AM]

Churches, Mosques, Synagogues etc - Places of Worship by rarevision
[August 07, 2019, 12:27:57 AM]

Mga Sikat... celebrity photos by rarevision
[August 07, 2019, 12:20:18 AM]

D7K+ Shoot - January 2013 by Miguelina
[August 02, 2019, 03:11:46 PM]

NEWBIE Seeking Advice: Pricing your image for a textbook? by Red_Jade
[July 23, 2019, 06:33:29 PM]

My Food Photography Shots by mcCoy!
[July 18, 2019, 10:18:02 PM]

Lee Filter System Adaptor Ring by monesq
[July 17, 2019, 07:45:31 PM]

FESTIVAL PICS...post away! by mcCoy!
[July 15, 2019, 09:50:26 PM]

Author Topic: how does the public react to Street Photography in the Manila / Philippines?  (Read 15153 times)

Offline Tonichi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 3
  • Camera: Nikon
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: D7000
Hello, I'm just new but am planning a trip back to the Philippines after a very long absence. I just recently discovered street photography and am still learning about it. I wondered how the filipino public respond to having their photos taken. I really wouldn't want to offend anyone but I was hoping for some tips or advise as to etiquette in these situations. thanks.

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

Offline joszef

• Forever Newbie
  • PiPho Org Member
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 172
    • My Flickr Page
  • Camera: EOS, Canonet, FujiFilm
  • Model: 50D, G-III QL 17, X10
  • Nickname: zeph
I think you'll get mixed reactions. There would be some who would gladly pose infront of you, there would be others who would shy away from your camera and still there would be others who would not want their pictures taken.

You would also hear questions if (1) you're a member of the press (2) what are the pictures for. So you better have a ready answer and smile a lot.

Don't go into the streets alone, especially those you're not familiar with. Dress down and don't attract so much attention. If you plan to go on a solo walk, bring only one dslr and one versatile lens. Or better yet, just bring a capable compact camera.

Let the others give you their tip(s). Goodluck and stay safe on the streets.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:34:54 PM by joszef »
Any phone is a mobile phone.....when thrown!
KILL nothing but TIME. LEAVE nothing but FOOTPRINTS. TAKE nothing but PICTURES. BRING nothing but MEMORIES.

Offline unnonymous

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Nido Kid
  • Field: Landscape
it would really depend on how you will approach your subject. Generally, people on the street wouldn't mind you taking photos. What we usually do is smile first and let them know of your intention to take photos. Some might ask on where you will use the photos, so just tell them where. Whenever you smile, 99% of the time, they'll smile back. I guess the general rule of thumb is to have a feel for it. You'll know if they want you to take their photos, so that's fine. If they show one sign of remorse, just don't push it.

Additional tips:
1. Don't over dress and keep a low profile lesser accessories the better.
2. Try to avoid to catch too much attention
3. most importantly, walk with a buddy.

Offline MeljoeSD

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 513
  • They just do their thing and I do mine.
    • Meljoe San Diego
  • Camera: Digital | Analog
  • Model: iPhone 4S
  • Nickname: Meljoe
'Wag din kalimutan mag thank you sa kanila, hehehe..  :)

Offline Tonichi

• Marie Biscuits
great tips! thank you very much. I think I'll be in Makati and Taguig mostly if walking around. My wife wants to go to Boracay and Subic. I think there's a trip to Mall of Asia and Intramuros. Lots of opportunities for some good photos. thanks again.

Offline Tonichi

• Marie Biscuits
great tips! thank you very much. I think I'll be in Makati and Taguig mostly if walking around. My wife wants to go to Boracay and Subic. I think there's a trip to Mall of Asia and Intramuros. Lots of opportunities for some good photos. thanks again.

Offline joszef

• Forever Newbie
  • PiPho Org Member
  • Robot
    • My Flickr Page

Where in Makati? The central business district and nearby malls might be a problem especially if you're using a DSLR, they would usually inquire about a permit to shoot even if you're standing on the streets or photographing a public landmark. Just be discreet and bring a compact camera, employ some guerilla tactics or learn how to be invisible against the probing eyes of the guards.  ;D
KILL nothing but TIME. LEAVE nothing but FOOTPRINTS. TAKE nothing but PICTURES. BRING nothing but MEMORIES.

Offline big blue cheese

• what's your hurry, superman?
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 474
  • up, up, and away!
  • Camera: nikon
  • Field: Landscape
  • Model: d5000
  • Nickname: jojo
from experience, a sincere smile often elicits friendly reactions. add to that a simple waving of the hand to your subject(s) and they usually smile and wave back.

also, if possible, a little chitchat makes the subject(s) more at ease with you and when they feel comfortable, they tend to "cooperate" with you on how you want to shoot them.

have fun  ;)
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then we summon the will, they soon become inevitable"
Christopher Reeve

Offline Tonichi

• Marie Biscuits

Where in Makati? The central business district and nearby malls might be a problem especially if you're using a DSLR, they would usually inquire about a permit to shoot even if you're standing on the streets or photographing a public landmark. Just be discreet and bring a compact camera, employ some guerilla tactics or learn how to be invisible against the probing eyes of the guards.  ;D
Yes I would be staying within the commercial centre. Bring a compact camera.. ok.

it sounds like just carrying the camera could be an issue. I thought I could possibly try shooting from the hip.

Do they have signs around the area that advises you about taking photographs?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Offline joszef

• Forever Newbie
  • PiPho Org Member
  • Robot
    • My Flickr Page
Bringing/carrying per se or letting the dslr hang around your neck would not be a problem as you will see that there are a lot who tend to do this especially the younger generations. But when you start shooting, you would be approached by the guards and will be asked with a lot of questions among them would be about the shooting permit if you have one. No, there are no visible signs around Makati's CBD or around the country about taking photographs - but some guards are just quick to over react when they see somebody taking pictures on the streets, especially if the camera looks PRO to them. So it's best to be inconspicuous by bringing a small camera.

There's one thing ironical about this though - if you look like a tourist (i.e. chinese, japanese, caucasian) then there would be a bigger chance that these guards would not mind you shooting with those long lenses. That's why it's always more fun in the Philippines. Some people bring comical relief to some people.  ;D 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:26:02 AM by joszef »

Offline grassbl8d

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 12
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/grassbl8d/
  • Camera: nikon
  • Model: d700
  • Nickname: carlo
how does the public react to Street Photography in the Manila / Philippines?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 10:18:41 AM »
sariling condo namin napagbawalan ako amp. ganyan kami sa makati hehe. i dont even get it

Offline micoraven

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 118
  • Camera: Olympus
  • Model: Olympus OM-D E-M10
  • Nickname: Mike
Security guards are your main enemy lalo na sa malls, makati cbd or high street boni. Praning yung karamihan dun pero pag foreigner hindi naman labo :'(  Again one of the reasons why i switched to m4/3, lagyan mo ng pancake lens hindi na nila to pinapansin most of the time and you attract less attention iisipin ng iba compact or film :P Bringing your family or wife or GF also helps iisipin nila kodakan moment lang at mas takot sila manita ng babae di ko alam kung bakit :o  As for signs, just check the door before entering malimit diyan mo lang makikita yun pero most of the time walang sign :'(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:45:34 AM by micoraven »
Olympus OM-D E-M10 | Olympus 9-18mm | Olympus 12mm f2.0 | Olympus 14-42mm EZ pancake | Panasonic 14mm f2.5 | Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II | Olympus 45mm f1.8 | Olympus 40-150mm | Olympus Flash FS-FL36R | Sirui T-025 Carbon Fibre Tripod

Offline Tonichi

• Marie Biscuits
This is really good info for tourists / visitors to the country.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Offline ShowMeTheMoney

• I want a digital camera with no LCD on the back.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 28
  • I shoot people.
    • I shoot people.
  • Nickname: Josh
Hello, I'm just new but am planning a trip back to the Philippines after a very long absence. I just recently discovered street photography and am still learning about it. I wondered how the filipino public respond to having their photos taken. I really wouldn't want to offend anyone but I was hoping for some tips or advise as to etiquette in these situations. thanks.

You'll be fine.  I agree that your biggest problem will be security guards.  You can stand your ground, and argue that photographing in public is legal, but you'll likely just be wasting your time.  They're doing what they've been told to do, and there's really nothing you can do.  What I do is just walk to the next block, and start shooting again.  Also, I tend to walk on the right side of the sidewalk, and I shoot towards the street.  This will usually mean you're shooting against the light, but it also means guards are less likely to pounce on you since you aren't pointing your lens towards their building.

I've regularly shot on Ayala Ave with my DSLR and I've also tried shooting with flash, and have encountered no problems.  I recommend you bring a wide-ish lens, and shoot from 3-7 feet.  As long as it's obvious that you're shooting strangers on the streets and not their buildings, most guards won't really bother you.  But police and the Makati traffic guys (MAPSA?) still might come up to you.  They'll recommend you get a permit at their office near Glorietta/Intercontinental Hotel.  But I've been there, and really, the only time they require a permit is if you're shooting commercially (i.e. need a street closed, need to set-up lights etc..) if it's just people for personal use, they won't even issue a permit.

You mention a trip to the Mall of Asia - and for street shooting, I would actually recommend MoA over Ayala Ave or Global City.  MoA has two wide 'street-sidewalks' + the baywalk area that are just perfect for street shooting, especially on weekends when it's really crowded.

For Ayala Ave though, I find that the best time to shoot is generally early in the morning on weekdays, around 6:30-8:30.  The light is good, and most people are in a rush and won't bother someone sticking a lens in their face.  But if you want shadows and stuff, late afternoon light on Ayala is pretty good - maybe 4PM to 5:30PM.  But light changes really fast in the afternoon, by 5:45, it'll likely be dark already.

Another problem, though you likely won't encounter this in the business districts like Makati or BGC - is that people like to pose for the camera.  Might not be a problem if that's your thing, but if you prefer candids and unasked, unposed shots, then be prepared to shoot a few frames of people posing for the camera, and hope that they get bored soon so you can fade into the background and start shooting candids again, LOL.  This is true especially for kids, they just don't get bored of posing.

But for the most part, you'll be fine. Too many people give up just because a security guard told them to stop shooting.  Or just because some stranger gave them a nasty look when they tried to shoot.  But that's part of street photography, so just roll with it.  Shooting the streets in the Metro isn't as easy as shooting the streets of say, NYC, and at times it might be frustrating, but it can be fun and rewarding as well.

Smile, tuck your elbows in, be patient and always always have a camera with you and don't bring a tele, you're not shooting eagles in the streets.

Cheers, keep shooting.

Offline jfrs

• hi!
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 14
  • Hi!
This is really good info for tourists / visitors to the country.

Sometimes it helps looking like a tourist...

But a sincere honest smile goes a long way, people can often tell if your have good or bad intentions

If you are spotted taking a picture, you can smile and wave,
people usually smile back, then you move on...

Offline Tonichi

• Marie Biscuits
Thank you for such excellent tips. I can't wait for my trip there.

Offline macphoto

• Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 1
  • I like travelling with my MC and so shooting !
  • Model: Olympus
  • Nickname: mac
I am planning to have photography as a hobby, is there a permit in shooting a building , Nature, Park or whatsoever ?
"Leave nothing but Footprints, Take nothing but Pictures!"

Offline MeljoeSD

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 513
  • They just do their thing and I do mine.
    • Meljoe San Diego
  • Camera: Digital | Analog
  • Model: iPhone 4S
  • Nickname: Meljoe
I am planning to have photography as a hobby, is there a permit in shooting a building , Nature, Park or whatsoever ?

Saan po ba kayo magshoshoot? Kung sa labas ng Manila pwede.. kahit magsawa pa kayo sa kakashoot.. ;D Sa Manila kasi sa pagkakaalam ko may ilan lugar na kelangan pa ng permit tulad ng Makati, Intramuros at Rizal Park..

Offline macphoto

• Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 1
  • I like travelling with my MC and so shooting !
  • Model: Olympus
  • Nickname: mac
Thanks Meljoe, ang inaalala ko kasi baka may mga lugar na bawal kuhaan

Like nung nagpunta kami ng Mt. Samat Bataan , Sa Loob ng Building kung saan makikita ung history natin ay bawal ipasok ang Camera.

Paano ba ang Diskarte kapag sinita ka nila tapos bawal pala talaga ?
"Leave nothing but Footprints, Take nothing but Pictures!"

Offline neilc

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 101
  • Sobra pero sakto!
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Model: EM-5
  • Nickname: Neil
This is where the Olympus OMD shines! Size is not intimidating. Articulating LCD helps you shoot in different angles. Touch screen to focus and/or trigger the shutter.

Back to topic. I think using a lens that is not so big will be an advantage. People tend to be intimidated with big lenses.
Olympus EM-5 (OM-D), Olympus 17mm f1.8

Tags: