!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Что послушать посоветуете? by ThomasBicut
[June 15, 2019, 09:17:21 PM]

Fiber Optic Jobs Careers by Chandhan
[June 14, 2019, 12:19:16 AM]

Life in New York by lenslover
[June 13, 2019, 11:38:05 PM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by vvcarpio
[June 03, 2019, 09:01:42 PM]

Still Life by Luthor
[June 02, 2019, 03:53:59 PM]

Cityscapes + Architecture Photographs? Share Here by rarevision
[May 22, 2019, 03:09:20 PM]

~~Henry's Professional Trinoma~~ by richiepablo22
[May 20, 2019, 11:22:04 AM]

NEWBIE Q & A Thread: Newbies Ask, Experts Answer PART 2 by ken2
[April 08, 2019, 05:04:37 PM]

Ibat-ibang kababaihan... by rarevision
[March 29, 2019, 10:31:36 PM]

MOVED: new entry level full frame canon camera to be announced in october? by retina
[March 28, 2019, 07:08:05 PM]

Author Topic: Manual For Shooting Landscapes  (Read 46712 times)

Offline jaicee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 1
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/jay_villacite/
  • Field: Portraiture
Re: Manual For Shooting Landscapes
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 10:15:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  :)
Canon 40D || Canon 50mm 1.8 || Canon 17-85 ||
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jay_villacite/

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 10:15:36 PM »

Offline Eidekos

• FOTOGRAFO
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 0
  • Landscapist
    • www.paulbanday.com
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
mon, thanks for sharing this.  ;)

also to aids and moncruz, gagaling ninyo mga sirs
Nikon Dx System

Offline lehboy

• PiPho Org Member
  • Trade Count: (1078)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 41
  • www.filters-exchange.com
    • My Flickr
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
Just read this thread :)

I'd like to add a few more tips. 

1) Know your equipment - make do with what equipment you have.  there will always be better filters/tripod/lenses but try to maximize what equipment you have. 

2) Be prepared to wake up early or stay up late - usually landscape photographers wake up as early as 3-4 hours before sunrise to prepare, or wait around an hour or two for the whole sunset just to get that one perfect shot. 

3) Be patient - you have to be very patient to be a good landscape photographer.  You may travel for hours and hours to that perfect location and only have 10 minutes to get that shot.  Lug around your mp3 player or psp while waiting for sunrise/sunset

4) Postprocess and share your photos - getting the shot is one thing, but you actually have to learn to post process your photos properly to get the best out of the whole image.  We have to remember that the our digital cameras can only capture a little bit of what we actually see. Don't be afraid to experiement.

5) Share your photos and be open to criticism - the only way we can improve is to ask other photographers what needs to improved on.  Don't be afraid to ask for comments on how to improve your photos. 

6) Practice - you constantly have to find time some free time to shoot so you don't forget what you learned in the past.  Join the photo-ops or ask others to join you :)

www.facebook.com/FiltersExchange   filters.exchange@yahoo.com     +63917-4070007 / +632-5349879

Offline tekgik

• enliven your passion
  • Admin / PiPho Org Officer
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 472
    • Profolio
  • Camera: Canon, Sony, Fuji
  • Field: Architectural
  • Model: 5D MK II, X10, RX100
  • Nickname: Regie
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 04:32:40 PM »
Great tips and inspiration Mon and everyone.

If i may add some more too.

*Landscape is not always about wide/ UWA focal length. 10mm 1.6 FOV, 17mm FF or 24mm FF. You can also use your longer focal lengths like 70mm and above. It magnifies and compresses scenes that more often gives us a unique visual impact.

*Landscape photography can be tiring and frustrating at times, it really needs patience like lehboy mentioned. It needs dedication and passion to the craft.

*Landscape just like any photography genres should be loved, liked by the image maker him/herself this is also true to any other in any art discipline because the dedication you will put into it will come out alive naturally on your final visual expression.

*Light - you need a good quality light. Period. No great photograph can be had with a click of a nice plug-in or post processing technique without having good quality light. Shoot it right out of the cam, understand the technical fundamentals of photography.

*Part of landscape photography is about experiencing whats out there, you can't just read this thread and memorize each line. A slight movement of an angle, a few minutes of difference can give you an output variation. You can master it by doing it.

*get wet, get dirty and get tired - Its not a glamorous thing, if you don't want your camera and even yourself to get wet and dirty then it is not for you.

*Get inspirations - It was already said. Look at the pictures of great landscape photographers like Richard Llarrios, Edwin Martinez and many others who pursued and concentrated to this photography type. Im a big fan of Marc Adamus works, try googling his name. Amazing works gives you inspiration to do more what you currently know as a good photograph.

Offline wolfpack

• VXMAN
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 2
    • VXPHOTO The Photography of Rico Rojas
  • Camera: Canon
  • Model: Canon
  • Nickname: Rico
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 01:10:11 AM »
Mon is very dedicated landscapist... and doesnt hold back knowledge he can share... great article mon. :)
It's hard to beat a good photographer with the right camera.

Offline mitzpicardal

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Robot
    • My BetterPhoto Gallery
  • Field: Landscape
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 08:18:25 AM »
Excellent thread! Bravo Mon!

I only know one rule as a landscape photog. It's in my sig. "F8 and Be There"  ;)

Offline zemper

• i am not a
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 08:25:54 AM »
Excellent thread! Bravo Mon!

I only know one rule as a landscape photog. It's in my sig. "F8 and Be There"  ;)

question mitz: wouldn't F8 give a narrower DOF compared to lower apertures?

Offline mitzpicardal

• Robot
    • My BetterPhoto Gallery
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 09:58:16 AM »
question mitz: wouldn't F8 give a narrower DOF compared to lower apertures?

Sa landscape you need deep DOF. For 35mm, F8-F16 is the best apertur range. Below F8 is too shallow and above F16 sacrifice sharpness due to diffraction. But thats not what it literally meant on the F8 above.  Just TAKE YOUR CAMERA, set it to correct setting and GO OUT to shoot landscape. 

Offline zemper

• i am not a
  • Robot
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »
Sa landscape you need deep DOF. For 35mm, F8-F16 is the best apertur range. Below F8 is too shallow and above F16 sacrifice sharpness due to diffraction. But thats not what it literally meant on the F8 above.  Just TAKE YOUR CAMERA, set it to correct setting and GO OUT to shoot landscape. 

oh i see, thanks for that clarification hehe.

Offline castoclown

• DMD, MScD
  • Robot
  • Liked: 50
    • My 2012 Portraits
  • Camera: 1D2
  • Model: Canon
  • Nickname: JR
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 11:21:19 AM »
Thanks Mon - everyone - for sharing your knowledge on landscape photography! Im one of those guys that are starting their journey towards mastery of this craft. Thanks to you for enriching our brains and inspiring our souls.

I've read all the tips and still waiting for more. I've bookmarked this page so I can easily come back every now and then.

If I may add, one tip that I haven't read here yet is - to PRAY. Nature is or can be considered the earliest means of communication between God and man. Whenever I go out there, I may be the only man there but I know Im not alone. Crossing rivers, traversing natural bridges, or just simply taking nature on is like a walk with my creator. Pray for safety, guidance, weather and of course... the most awesome landscape scenario He could bless you with. :)

Offline strummz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Ovalteenees
    • Deviantart
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 11:49:05 AM »
Wow! Maraming salamat sa advice na to! Very inspiring

Offline haroldty

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tocino + Rice
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 12:30:45 PM »
very good read...thanks for this

Offline brianfontanilla

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Marie Biscuits
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
Wow! Very Inspiring! Thanks so much Sir Mon!!!!!  :)

Offline sarked

• Robot
    • Adventure Travel Asia
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 01:59:46 PM »
Salamat, Mon, sa pagsimula ng thread.

Salamat din sa ibang nagbahagi ng kaalaman nila.

Maraming maraming salamat.
Looking for an Asian adventure? Follow my blog, Adventure Travel Asia!

Looking for a good place to eat in Singapore?  Here's a list of Top Restaurants in Singapore

www.IndieMusicPhilippines.com

Offline tataygay

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »
 ;D daghang salamat... very inspiring indeed... i guess this one is called "experiential learning"... thanks again...

Offline jakepalvarez

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Circulan
    • Jake's Site
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 02:38:27 AM »
Thank you very much po for sharing. I've been wanting to learn landscape, I've been looking at some photos here in pipho and every photo I see is an inspiration for me to learn more. These tips would be very helpful to me. Thank you again.
When I'm up with the sunrise
I want more than just blue skies.
I want more than just ok, more than just ok.

Offline searcher101

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Ovalteenees
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2010, 09:07:02 PM »
Thanks Mr. Mon Corpus ( dropped the Sir already  ;D ) . At sa iba pa na nag share ng kanilang insights .This is really a inspiring thread for an aspiring one like me .

Nature and Landscapes Photography for me  is the fun side . If you want to earn money then ,  landscapes is not the one , go to portraiture ( I wanna go there too but not this time )  ;) .

The first time I went shooting  a famous landscape / landmark , sa totoo lang wala akong idea kung papano ang gagawin ko dahil ilang months pa lamang akong nagsu shoot dahil baguhan pa lang ako . There where 2 other photographers on that place where  I was . Syempre kanya kanya sila ng pwesto and they where shooting with old cameras ( film ) . So I decided to approach one of them and asked him " how do you shoot that ? " . He turned to me and laughed at me . And said , what kind of question is that ? ( pero may smile on his face ) . And then he said " If you really want to shoot something , shot it with what you want your viewers to see . Not what others want you to see it " .
Shoot mo at ipakita mo sa iba kung ano ang gusto mong ipakita , hindi kung ano ang gusto ng iba na makita mo . And that  one I really remembered . A great advice from a total stranger .
And so I did . I stepped farther back and visualized , setup my tripod and camera and look at the view finder knowing already what to include and what to exclude . Hit the shutter and compose a couple of other orientations . And was so happy with the outcome . For the first time I had a good one ( atleast for me ) .

Just sharing a bit . Thanks !

Offline duk

• Circulan
  • Liked: 9
    • Facebook Page
  • Camera: none
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 04:43:17 PM »
Good thing that this thread is still kicking! Thanks to all the masters for their generous inputs which really helps, especially to us beginners. Will keep these excellent advices for my trip this weekend but will not expect to capture great shots, but for sure, I'm gonna be trying my best to do it! This pumped my enthusiasm really, especially that I don't have anyone to talk with about photography here where I'm located. Maybe soon.. but before I meet those persons, I really am thankful now that we have PHIPHOS that we can count on everytime! God bless... 

Offline zando

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 8
  • Camera: Canon
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: 5D Mark II
  • Nickname: Zando
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
May I just share a tip, which I think is useful. Whenever I want to shoot for landscape, I always read the compass first as soon as arrive in the area. My tripod comes with one, and I have a digital compass in my smartphone also. I normally scout for East, West and North. East is were you're sun will be rising and west is where it's going to set. If you want to shoot for star trail at night, knowing where the north should be good for you. It's also best during new moon with very little source of light coming from the ground.

You may also want to do your research online on what the exact time will the sun be rising or setting in a particular place. An hour before that is enough time to prepare. Any thing more than 1 hour is a waste, in my opinion. If you have time to kill then that's fine, you can also look for interesting subjects while waiting.

I just came from a camping trip in camarines norte and I woke up at around 6 am overhearing a few guys saying that there was no sunrise to take pictures of. I thought, we'll you can't really expect the sun to rise in the same spot that it sets. We were pretty isolated in the island and saw the sunset at the same time, around 12 hours earlier. The east was covered by hills so the sun should be visible at around 9 am. Moral lesson, you need not wake up that early if your not expecting to see a sunrise, unless you have other reasons. And, I went back to sleep.
I like my coffee black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love.

Offline markpogi

• Chambalerong Mamimitik
  • Robot
  • Liked: 3
  • Photography and Politics WON'T Mix.
    • markpogi
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 10:34:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing these tips.  :)
Canon Rebel XSi | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 II | Crumpler 7mdh | Other gears coming soon :D ;D

Tags: