!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Что послушать посоветуете? by ThomasBicut
[June 15, 2019, 09:17:21 PM]

Fiber Optic Jobs Careers by Chandhan
[June 14, 2019, 12:19:16 AM]

Life in New York by lenslover
[June 13, 2019, 11:38:05 PM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by vvcarpio
[June 03, 2019, 09:01:42 PM]

Still Life by Luthor
[June 02, 2019, 03:53:59 PM]

Cityscapes + Architecture Photographs? Share Here by rarevision
[May 22, 2019, 03:09:20 PM]

~~Henry's Professional Trinoma~~ by richiepablo22
[May 20, 2019, 11:22:04 AM]

NEWBIE Q & A Thread: Newbies Ask, Experts Answer PART 2 by ken2
[April 08, 2019, 05:04:37 PM]

Ibat-ibang kababaihan... by rarevision
[March 29, 2019, 10:31:36 PM]

MOVED: new entry level full frame canon camera to be announced in october? by retina
[March 28, 2019, 07:08:05 PM]

Author Topic: 2 cameras, 2 different meter readings. which one to trust?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline nix.tolentino

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 0
2 cameras, 2 different meter readings. which one to trust?
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:37:23 AM »
Hi guys! I have a question :)

I was in Korea a few days ago, and I brought my Nikon F2 film camera and my d80. The F2 has my 80-200/4 lens attached, while my d80 has the 18-135 kit lens.

I wanted to take a picture of a scene with my F2, but I stopped just before I pressed the shutter because I had the feeling that the metering might be off. I was thinking that the shutter speed suggested by the camera was too slow, and might cause an overexposure. I didn't think that the meter was being "fooled" by the lighting conditions, since it was heavily overcast and the scene I was about to photograph wasn't really high in contrast.

So what I did was to set my d80 with the same ISO rating as my F2, compose the same way as I did with the Nikon F2, and used the same aperture [f/5.6]. The d80 suggested a faster shutter speed. So I took a sample shot with the d80, and the exposure seemed fine. Then I dialed in the shutter speed that the F2 suggested, and the result was overexposure. I took note that the d80's meter was set to "center-weighted."

My question, guys, is that if faced with a situation like this, should I trust my DSLR's reading more than my film SLR's? I know that the F2's meter still works, because I've been using it and the pictures that it churns out are correctly exposed. I'm beginning to wonder if Korea's cold climate could have affected the battery of my F2 and hence, affected it's metering?

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Nix

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

2 cameras, 2 different meter readings. which one to trust?
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:37:23 AM »

Offline funkyspank

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tocino + Rice
Re: 2 cameras, 2 different meter readings. which one to trust?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:46:04 PM »
hmm. suggestion when shooting film outdoors during daytime: the "sunny 16" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16) rule. old-school, yeah, but very useful pag medyo sablay ang metering ng cam.   ;D
"concept without technique is irritating, while technique without concept is just boring."
-nadav kander

Offline nix.tolentino

• Circulan
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:02:01 AM »
oh, oo nga naman, I forgot about that haha :)

Offline kengo

• I have seen the light!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 11
    • Photos by Ken Go
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:39:42 AM »
Newer camera may have a more advanced metering that looks at the whole scene and evaluates for correct exposure, but it too is not always correct. The difference in reading you got it probably due to the fact the older film cameras only use partial metering and gives an exposure reading of only the central part of the image. Knowing this will help you to make the necessary compensations for what a good exposure is.

Ken

Offline nix.tolentino

• Circulan
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:44:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply sir ken :)

Offline k1000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ovalteenees
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 06:08:24 PM »
@nix

AI-s po yung 80-200 f/4 mo?
"The most important piece of equipment in your bag is your attitude." - Joe McNally

Offline nix.tolentino

• Circulan
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:39:05 PM »
@nix

AI-s po yung 80-200 f/4 mo?

hmmm, I think so hahah. It's an old manual-focus lens.

Offline k1000

• Ovalteenees
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 08:27:33 PM »
have you compared pics taken from both cams, any feedback?
"The most important piece of equipment in your bag is your attitude." - Joe McNally

Offline nix.tolentino

• Circulan
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 08:35:59 PM »
have you compared pics taken from both cams, any feedback?

I have yet to see the pictures, since the film's still with the lab guys :) I'll post the pics once I get them.

Offline gspotter

• Digital Viking
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 1
    • samples
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 09:37:32 PM »
i'll wait for the result
ang hindi marunong tumingin sa pinanggalingan,
kung matinik ay malalim

APIR!!!

Offline nap

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 3
  • Kaya pala ako laging antok, Nap kasi pangalan ko.
    • My Multiply
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 12:41:32 AM »
I'll also wait for the results. Oh, I hope the guys at the photo lab wouldn't adjust the exposure so you can have a fair comparison.

Personally, I don't trust the D80's meter that much. It's not very reliable or predictable for complex scenes (high contrast). I trust the D40's meter more.
Sa sibuyas may lakas!

In english, in union there is strength.

Offline josefpanerio

• Ovalteenees
    • Josef Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 12:26:36 AM »
having 2 different metter reading?  bro just follow your guts.  di ka magkakamali nun. assuming that the meter readin ay di naman nakakalayo ha.
If we are having trouble, it is so that you will be comforted and renewed. If we are comforted, it is so that you will be comforted. Then you will be able to put up with the same suffering we have gone through. 7 Our hope for you remains firm. We know that you suffer just as we do. In the same way, God comforts you just as he comforts us.

- 2 Corithians 6

Offline squiddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Sky's the langit
    • Randy's FB
  • Camera: Nikon
  • Field: Landscape
  • Model: D7100, D300, D90, D70, iP4
  • Nickname: Randybau
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 10:35:29 PM »
This happened to me as well at a shoot. I was using a D300 with a 50mm 1.8 and also had a Canon450d also with a 50mm 1.8. Both cameras were at iso400 and set to aperture priority and center weighted metering. Same subject, same composition and same lighting. The Nikon was metering at 1/100 while the Canon was at 1/125. Both shots turned out the same... no overexposed areas. So was this a function of the differences in sensors? That's the only difference I see between the two cameras...

Offline caterpillar

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 36
    • none
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 12:41:10 AM »
This happened to me as well at a shoot. I was using a D300 with a 50mm 1.8 and also had a Canon450d also with a 50mm 1.8. Both cameras were at iso400 and set to aperture priority and center weighted metering. Same subject, same composition and same lighting. The Nikon was metering at 1/100 while the Canon was at 1/125. Both shots turned out the same... no overexposed areas. So was this a function of the differences in sensors? That's the only difference I see between the two cameras...

With everything being equal, and in your case, it is "almost" equal, then it's the body that is different. If it were possible to test the canon lens on the nikon body and vice-versa, we could probably rule out that it's the lens that is the culprit. And yes, there are variations on lenses that they will tilt a bit the exposure value if mounted.

If it is the body, it will either be the way the sensor is calibrated to replicated an ISO setting (it's sensitivity), or, it will be the way the camera meters. Matrix metering vs Evaluative metering (Nikon vs Canon) basically operates on the same premise, but it may be implemented differently. Without going to details, that is likely the culprit, not to mention that there are differences in sensor "sensitivities) and how each manufacturer presents/uses them (hence canon tends to have iso 100 or even 50, while nikon does not).

Also, it has been noted in other fora/sites that Nikon d300 tends to need more light to render the "same" EV or results as a canon.

In the OPs case, one can never make an accurate determination. For all you care, both can be right, wrong, both right, both wrong. Their meterings can be different. Their sensitivities different (film vs electronic film), the lenses are different, etc. In the OPs case, the lenses are different. Even if two cameras of the same brand, model and are calibrated are used, my guess, the OP will get a different reading. I mean, even use one body, shoot the same scene (assuming light does not change), my guess, he'll still get the same reading.

Why?  Well if you have a complex lighted scene, with some bright spots here and there, you shoot one at 28mm, and then shoot the other at 200mm, then for sure, even if you use the same body, same sensor, same meter, your meter reading will likely be different simply because a 200mm will "see" more due to the limited FOV, vs a 28mm w/c will "see" more due to a wider FOV!

In your case, it could still be the lens, body, or lens and body. Mount the canon lens on the Nikon body and set it the same aperture. If your histogram still peaks the same way, as with the nikon lens, then it's the body. If it's the body, it could be the sensor and/or the metering.
--- Caterpillar ---

Tags: