!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Sweat it out in style with Nike Outfits by joeyjstepp
[Yesterday at 01:28:35 PM]

Begin every match or workout in comfort and style by joeyjstepp
[Yesterday at 01:27:40 PM]

Find all our current markdown styles in one place by joeyjstepp
[Yesterday at 01:26:05 PM]

Ibat-ibang kababaihan... by rarevision
[August 20, 2019, 05:42:45 PM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by mcCoy!
[August 07, 2019, 11:15:58 AM]

Churches, Mosques, Synagogues etc - Places of Worship by rarevision
[August 07, 2019, 12:27:57 AM]

Mga Sikat... celebrity photos by rarevision
[August 07, 2019, 12:20:18 AM]

D7K+ Shoot - January 2013 by Miguelina
[August 02, 2019, 03:11:46 PM]

NEWBIE Seeking Advice: Pricing your image for a textbook? by Red_Jade
[July 23, 2019, 06:33:29 PM]

My Food Photography Shots by mcCoy!
[July 18, 2019, 10:18:02 PM]

Author Topic: AF Points, do you really need them?  (Read 6268 times)

Offline patatahead

• Trigger Happy !!!!
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 0
Re: AF Points, do you really need them?
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 06:44:25 PM »
guys, this only shows that i still don't know my camera :(

ferdie (bulletsky) told me to focus on the subject and use the AE/AF lock.  will try all your suggestions tonight! :)

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 06:44:25 PM »

Offline glennjv

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Circulan
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 07:34:22 PM »
I've been trying to read around here and the net on how the partial metering of my XT really works.  But I'm ending up all confused.

Please tell me if I got this right...
In Canon DSLRS...
Evaluative Metering + All AF points enabled = Metering is biased on the actively locked AF point.

Evaluative Metering + 1 AF point = Metering is still biased on that 1 AF point.

Center Weighted Metering + All AF points enabled = metering is independent of the AF but biased on a big circle in the middle.

Center Weighted Metering + 1 AF point enabled = same as above.

Partial Metering + All AF points enabled = independent of AF points. Metering is only based on a small circle on the middle.

Partial Metering + 1 AF point enabled = same as above.

Tama po ba?

So the Focus lock doesn't actually Exposure lock it unlike sa Nikons?
(wala bang feature/custom function that Focus lock + exposure lock it as well? mabilis kasi pag ganito eh... in some situations na nagmamadali ka)
So pano yung... * first then focus then shoot....
PiFtY D/Tre PiFtY D, Canyon Tin-Tu-TwinTi-Tu, Tamrun Siybintin-Tu-PiFtY Ef-Tu-Puyt-Ate, Canyon TerTy-Payb Ef-Tu, Canyon Ate-Ty-Payb Ef-Juan-Puyt-Ate, Canyon SeybenTi Two ToHanDred eF To eL, Canyon Payb-Ate-Ty-E-Eks-Tu, Canyon Por-TerTy-E-Eks

Offline mckytm

• Ex - Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 7
    • My flickr site
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
I've been trying to read around here and the net on how the partial metering of my XT really works.  But I'm ending up all confused.

Please tell me if I got this right...
In Canon DSLRS...
Evaluative Metering + All AF points enabled = Metering is biased on the actively locked AF point.

Evaluative Metering + 1 AF point = Metering is still biased on that 1 AF point.

Center Weighted Metering + All AF points enabled = metering is independent of the AF but biased on a big circle in the middle.

Center Weighted Metering + 1 AF point enabled = same as above.

Partial Metering + All AF points enabled = independent of AF points. Metering is only based on a small circle on the middle.

Partial Metering + 1 AF point enabled = same as above.

Tama po ba?

So the Focus lock doesn't actually Exposure lock it unlike sa Nikons?
(wala bang feature/custom function that Focus lock + exposure lock it as well? mabilis kasi pag ganito eh... in some situations na nagmamadali ka)
So pano yung... * first then focus then shoot....

I'm not sure, but I think evaluative metering doesn't meter based on active AF point... I could be mistaken though. Your center-weighted and partial metering is correct.

Re: exposure lock, it locks exposure settings for me... say I'm in AV mode + partial metering, with the leftmost AF point active and I want to take a picture of someone with her on the left side of the frame. I point the center AF point at my subject's face, press * to lock exposure, then position the leftmost AF point over her eye and half-press/press. :)
It is part of the photographer's job to see more intensely than most people do. -Bill Brandt

Offline etotan

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Tocino + Rice
    • Multiply
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 08:30:31 PM »
kaya pala din din sharp pix ko dahil i always recompose. So you mean kung d tumapat sa af point i will choose the closest af point and recompose? whats the use of AE/AF lock?
Nikon D300, Panasonic Lumix FZ3
Tamron 17-50 F2.8, Nikkor 80-200 F2.8,
SB-600
Crumpler 7MDH, Crumpler 4MDH
Benro m-228n6 +  KB-1A

Offline wolfpack

• VXMAN
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 2
    • VXPHOTO The Photography of Rico Rojas
  • Camera: Canon
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Model: Canon
  • Nickname: Rico
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 03:11:18 PM »
Wow lesson for the day for me because i do Focusing and Recomposing almost everytime maybe thats one reason why my images are not that sharp =(. Im using a 4od with 9 AF points but i only set it to use 1, the center AF point.

Set it to the AF Point where you need it to focus... :) the center is most sensitive... but in well lit condition... pili nalang ng AF Point. :)

to the thread starter yes, I need it... but have to go... :D
It's hard to beat a good photographer with the right camera.

Offline wewoy_romero

• canon fanboi
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 10
  • Camera: canon
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: eos r + m50
  • Nickname: wewoy
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2008, 06:57:25 PM »
hmm, masubukan nga. i usually just use the center af point and then re-compose the shot.

Offline jong casia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marie Biscuits
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »

Re: exposure lock, it locks exposure settings for me... say I'm in AV mode + partial metering, with the leftmost AF point active and I want to take a picture of someone with her on the left side of the frame. I point the center AF point at my subject's face, press * to lock exposure, then position the leftmost AF point over her eye and half-press/press. :)

Hmm. this is interesting. I too am having problems with OOF and i have long been thinking that the focus recompose shoot style might be the culprit.   Although I don't  have any doubt this would work The only problem i see would be in changing the focus point. This would take time which might make us lose shots especially on a moving target, likewise it would hamper our compositions to one side of the frame unless of course we change to another focus point and make our shots from the other end, again taking time doing so.

More so, I am hesitant in activating all focus points as this makes focusing even more a burden since the camera focuses on the nearest point. For portraits, that would be the tip of the nose, ruining our shots.

Lately, i have been experimenting on using Canon's custom function 4-1 (Assigning the focus switch to the ( * )button) and the exposure lock by half pressing the shutter button.) Its confusing at first, but im slowly getting the hang of it.

Using the center point as my active AF(stationary subject)- single shooting mode, One-shot AF (For moving subjects) continuous shooting mode, AI Servo AF.  I do the following:

1) For AV/TV, i meter the scene.
2) Half Press the shutter button to lock exposure.
3) W/o releasing the half press, point to subject (eyes for portraits)
4) Press (*) to focus, then recompose & shoot

As long as you don't release the shutter button all the way after firing a shot (Half releasing) then your exposure is still locked. But once you fully release the shutter button, half pressing it again would cause the camera to meter anew. By pressing the   (*) - while still holding the shutter half pressed, we can focus on a different point on the frame and still retain our exposure.

I'm not saying this is foolproof, its just another way to skin a cat. A downside to using the custom function 4-1 is we loose the FE lock when we shoot w/ flash.  I admit, for important shoots i still don't rely too much on this method but I practice using it during leisurely shoots. However, possibilities of me fully switching to this mode is very promising considering, if used properly, would be very convenient to use.

Just my 2 cents :)

cheers everyone ;D

ps. Sorry if i veered off topic. I think its still related to AF (My center AF that is ;D)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:18:10 PM by jong casia »

Tags: