!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Panasonic, Sony and TDK Mini DV for sale by crazysol
[Yesterday at 08:39:23 AM]

Quality You may Believe in by Julianas
[June 19, 2019, 03:58:31 PM]

Что послушать посоветуете? by ThomasBicut
[June 15, 2019, 09:17:21 PM]

Fiber Optic Jobs Careers by Chandhan
[June 14, 2019, 12:19:16 AM]

Life in New York by lenslover
[June 13, 2019, 11:38:05 PM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by vvcarpio
[June 03, 2019, 09:01:42 PM]

Still Life by Luthor
[June 02, 2019, 03:53:59 PM]

Cityscapes + Architecture Photographs? Share Here by rarevision
[May 22, 2019, 03:09:20 PM]

~~Henry's Professional Trinoma~~ by richiepablo22
[May 20, 2019, 11:22:04 AM]

NEWBIE Q & A Thread: Newbies Ask, Experts Answer PART 2 by ken2
[April 08, 2019, 05:04:37 PM]

Author Topic: What's the Best DSLR camera for video shoots?  (Read 5405 times)

Offline brai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 0
  • Field: Landscape
What's the Best DSLR camera for video shoots?
« on: October 17, 2016, 01:45:08 AM »
What do you recommend po? Or any review links, updated? Thanks in advance. :)
visual is visual

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

What's the Best DSLR camera for video shoots?
« on: October 17, 2016, 01:45:08 AM »

Offline MixtureOfLightAndWater

• Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 21
  • Mabuhay!
  • Camera: Fujifilm
  • Model: X-T10
  • Nickname: L
Re: What's the Best DSLR camera for video shoots?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:37:47 AM »
for what specific purpose?

for casual video shoots, EOS 70D paired with ultrasonic lens is a good and not an expensive choice.

or the EOS 5DM3. just can't remember the title, but there was a movie two or three years ago fully shoot using this camera.

but i like the output of the 70D than the 5DM3. :)

a frustrated drummer/singer/dancer. seasonal trekker/mountaineer/traveler. loves the rain, waterfalls, lightning, rainbow, and sunset. a good student, but a bit short in manners.
an explorer. a dreamer.

Offline moodless

• Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 35
  • DU30
    • FLICKR
  • Camera: Sony, Pentax, Canon
  • Field: Architectural
  • Model: GF2 X10 NEX-5N A7 KM-5D,
  • Nickname: Allan
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 12:12:02 AM »

IMHO, i wouldn't recommend a DSLR for video. It's weight will be a problem particularly if you need to include accessories. A smartphone would be good enough if you know how to handle it and if you choose the right smartphone with the correct features and due to its size and weight, the accessories you need to make a very good home/family movie would also be cheaper.

but just in case you really are bent on a DSLR to start your way into home video production you should consider the following features in a dslr;
1. it can AF in video mode
2. it can do touchscreen AF in live view and adjust other features.
3. the system has least some sort of stabilization be it in-body or via lens
4. it can do at least 60fps at full hd. (no point having 4k feature if it is limited to 30fps) for smooth slow motion capability during playback.
5. no mater how limited it is, it should have manual setting in video mode.
6. wifi support for tethering/video transfer
7. the video file should support reproduction of high-light and low-light for cinematic grading in post.

i think at least 4 of the above are features in most current DSLRs and when i say DSLRs, i am referring to only the "true" DSLR (the ones with mechanical mirror in-front of the sensor) which are only built by Canon, Nikon, and Pentax. these are relatively heavy systems and with the weight, you choice of accessories will also be dependent on the system for example; As for smartphones, the above are common features since a few years back.

DSLR video on-the-go no matter how steady you are will always be jerky and no amount of software stabilization would be able to compensate for unnecessary movement so most would always have a video stabilizer/steadycam/motorized gimbal that can carry the weight.. these accessories are very expensive if they are meant to handle a dslr.. and yet those motorized gimbals that are meant for GoPro/smatphones can be bought at a fraction of the size as well as price making it very portable and budget friendly.

in the upper middle of these 2 (DSLR against smartphone) there is these interchangeble-lens camera(ILCs) that is mirrorless system from the likes of Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, and Sony and like, the smartphone, they have adapted most of the smartphone features in these system in a smaller form factor than DSLRs ans still give better result (in most situation) than smartphones due to their bigger sensor. these sytem have lesser weight so accessories such as steadycams are also made smaller (one sample is skyler minicam stabilizer), also mirrorless systems tend to have better video features compared to DSLR due to them not having a mechanical mirror in front of the sensor. panasonic has touchscreen, live view, full hd 60p built into their system more than 5 years ago and 4k recording is becoming a standard in mirrorless system even at the entry level bodies..

if i were to buy a camera mainly for video with emphasis on slow-mo and portability features.. i would go for sony's RX100iii or the 4k version RX100iv or just get the value for money DSLR-looking panasonic G7 OR just go and get a GoPro, but then again, i can still use my 6 year old Sony A55 SLT cam that has most of the features (except toughcreen/wifi/4k recording) at half the weight of a normal DSLR.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:17:26 AM by moodless »

Offline brai

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 02:15:19 AM »
Thanks I coincidentally use the EOS 70D too with a few pairs of lenses. I want to redo some old documentaries I made before and I think so far it's working with the 70D. My main problems are choosing the best condensers. Btw a Zoom H5 ok? I want to capture the best audio as possible since my script requires a lot of talk.

for what specific purpose?

for casual video shoots, EOS 70D paired with ultrasonic lens is a good and not an expensive choice.

or the EOS 5DM3. just can't remember the title, but there was a movie two or three years ago fully shoot using this camera.

but i like the output of the 70D than the 5DM3. :)

visual is visual

Offline brai

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 02:17:49 AM »

IMHO, i wouldn't recommend a DSLR for video. It's weight will be a problem particularly if you need to include accessories. A smartphone would be good enough if you know how to handle it and if you choose the right smartphone with the correct features and due to its size and weight, the accessories you need to make a very good home/family movie would also be cheaper.

but just in case you really are bent on a DSLR to start your way into home video production you should consider the following features in a dslr;
1. it can AF in video mode
2. it can do touchscreen AF in live view and adjust other features.
3. the system has least some sort of stabilization be it in-body or via lens
4. it can do at least 60fps at full hd. (no point having 4k feature if it is limited to 30fps) for smooth slow motion capability during playback.
5. no mater how limited it is, it should have manual setting in video mode.
6. wifi support for tethering/video transfer
7. the video file should support reproduction of high-light and low-light for cinematic grading in post.

i think at least 4 of the above are features in most current DSLRs and when i say DSLRs, i am referring to only the "true" DSLR (the ones with mechanical mirror in-front of the sensor) which are only built by Canon, Nikon, and Pentax. these are relatively heavy systems and with the weight, you choice of accessories will also be dependent on the system for example; As for smartphones, the above are common features since a few years back.

DSLR video on-the-go no matter how steady you are will always be jerky and no amount of software stabilization would be able to compensate for unnecessary movement so most would always have a video stabilizer/steadycam/motorized gimbal that can carry the weight.. these accessories are very expensive if they are meant to handle a dslr.. and yet those motorized gimbals that are meant for GoPro/smatphones can be bought at a fraction of the size as well as price making it very portable and budget friendly.

in the upper middle of these 2 (DSLR against smartphone) there is these interchangeble-lens camera(ILCs) that is mirrorless system from the likes of Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, and Sony and like, the smartphone, they have adapted most of the smartphone features in these system in a smaller form factor than DSLRs ans still give better result (in most situation) than smartphones due to their bigger sensor. these sytem have lesser weight so accessories such as steadycams are also made smaller (one sample is skyler minicam stabilizer), also mirrorless systems tend to have better video features compared to DSLR due to them not having a mechanical mirror in front of the sensor. panasonic has touchscreen, live view, full hd 60p built into their system more than 5 years ago and 4k recording is becoming a standard in mirrorless system even at the entry level bodies..

if i were to buy a camera mainly for video with emphasis on slow-mo and portability features.. i would go for sony's RX100iii or the 4k version RX100iv or just get the value for money DSLR-looking panasonic G7 OR just go and get a GoPro, but then again, i can still use my 6 year old Sony A55 SLT cam that has most of the features (except toughcreen/wifi/4k recording) at half the weight of a normal DSLR.

Thanks Moodless! Wow I can learn a lot from your tips! Is the Sony RX100iii good for run-and-gun shoots too? What are the best condensers to use with it? TIA
visual is visual

Offline wed7

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 10
  • Camera: Pentax
  • Field: Still Life
  • Model: K-30
  • Nickname: Alvin
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 08:19:40 AM »
Mirrorless options

Sony
RX100iii and onwards
A6000 and up

Panasonic
GH3 or better get the GH4
K-30 15 | 21 | 35M | 70 | 100M WR | 16-85 WR
"The best camera is the one you have"

Offline retina

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 1046
  • Camera: Fujifilm
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: Nikon D750
  • Nickname: Doc A
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 11:15:31 PM »
Mirrorless options

Sony
RX100iii and onwards
A6000 and up

Panasonic
GH3 or better get the GH4
If you shoot clips or short videos the a6000 could be better but in longer shots the camera shuts down due to overheating. The pansonics are good alternative like the g7, g8/85,gx8/gx7 ver2 , gx80/85 and the gh3/4/5 (soon). However, the panasonic seems to be popular for video but it is not that fast in AF. Of course you get used to it and feel the hang of everything... as of any camera system. The ideal seems to be not the right word but familiarity of the system is what it takes to shoot good videos regardless of the system. The dual pixel on canon seems to be the best when shooting video.

Offline brai

• Marie Biscuits
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 12:09:31 AM »
Wow thanks guys! Worth considering all these options.

True, familiarity with the cam's system is a big consideration too.

visual is visual

Offline moodless

• Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 35
  • DU30
    • FLICKR
  • Camera: Sony, Pentax, Canon
  • Field: Architectural
  • Model: GF2 X10 NEX-5N A7 KM-5D,
  • Nickname: Allan
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »
regarding auto focus in video, that depends on the lens you are going to use and the type of video you are going to take.. i normally use ultra wide lens on either the a55 or A7 so focus is just fixed at infinity. and yes, sony is notorious when it comes to overheating so i off IBIS (on A55) but i relatively go no further than 10 minutes not unless i am shooting a graduation ceremony then i need to have another body as a back-up, i also am used on doing manual AF on video as most of the lenses i use on the e-mount are manual lenses. on trips, i do carry with me the skylercam mini stabilizer and am considering getting a beholder or a nebula in the near future, just waiting for the price to go down.

Also on certain shots, manual focus pull would be more practical than AF particularly if you can't change AF via touchscreen. (the main problem of sony cameras is the touch AF feature which i guess they address only on the latest A6500)

as for external microphone, i currently am using a normap mini mic that i can just plug into the microphone jack, i heard a lot of good reviews about rode mic but have not yet considered it.

Offline lindsaywood1991

• Marie Biscuits
  • Mabuhay!
    • Skillshare Photography
  • Camera: NICKON
  • Model: Nikon D750
  • Nickname: Enzy
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 09:44:08 PM »
I would suggest Canon 5D Mark III. I'm using it to shoot video.
Let's rock & roll!^_^

Offline adamuo9

• Marie Biscuits
  • Mabuhay!
  • Camera: Nikon
  • Model: Max.6
  • Nickname: adamuo9
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 10:23:58 AM »
How about Nikon.

Tags: