!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix GX85  (Read 4905 times)

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 1046
  • Camera: Fujifilm
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: Nikon D750
  • Nickname: Doc A
Panasonic Lumix GX85
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »
Years ago there was this Lumix  LX3 madness( http://www.pinoyphotography.org/forum/index.php?topic=38041.msg450775#msg450775  ) in this forum.... 8) .. I was one of them. I bought one for my daughter and time to time I borrow it.
My daughter was in high school then and she was able to make two trips to the National Press Con Photojournalism contest. I still have it. My daughter left it to me since she went to study college in UP Manila. The battery needs replacement but I did not bought one. I was jumping around a6000, Oly, Fuji x100s and then sold all the mirrorless camera. My daughter is about to graduate and will spend some vacation and needs a compact camera that can do some beautiful videos. So I picked up the recently released Lumix Gx85. I will eventually keep it since she will go to Med School so she will be very busy. I can borrow it for a long time ;D ;D.

Specs and more pics:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/slrs/panasonic_dmcgx85

I bought from Amazon thru a relative. It will take around 6 months before this arrive in the Philippines but it will be cheaper. This is an NTSC version.

There is no raw support yet in LR so I am just exploring the fun part ....

Like the panorama :

Oh sorry I won't be reviewing this. There are  lots in the Youtube and some other Pana fan boy sites. I am just sharing in case you are interested I can give my honest down to earth opinion.

What I like are: 1)The touch screen, I wish my Nikon D750 has this.
                      2) 5 Axis IBIS that works together with the lens OIS (DUAL IS). The ibis works even when shooting 4k Video and using legacy lenses thru dumb adapters
                      3) 4K/FullHD video that I can shoot without tripod. I am not a video guy but practicing to shoot one is not bad.

It will not replace my DSLR system. It focuses very fast. The tracking is not as good as the DSLR but very fast. This is still a manual focus video camera. The Sony a6300 is better in AF video. The Canon sensor based dual pixel in my opinion is still better.

Honestly I have fun using this. For the X shooters, please don't waste your money. Stay with Fuji he he he he. Abang mode for the X-t2.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 06:01:48 PM by retina »

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

Panasonic Lumix GX85
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »

Offline raffy_eos7D

• "That in all things, God may be glorified."
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 85
  • GAS Addict
  • Camera: Olympus
  • Model: OMD
  • Nickname: Raffy
Re: Panasonic Lumix GX85
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
I like this cam  :D. How much bili mo doc?
| OMD | M. Zuiko 45mm 1.8 | Lumix 14mm 2.5 | Gordy's Camera Strap l  B+W F-PRO l Manfrotto BeFree  |

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:48:47 PM »
I like this cam  :D. How much bili mo doc?
799 usd with 2 dollar discount kaya 797 with free shipping inside us territory...roughly the price of  gx8 kit here. When the prices will settle down it could be 15-20 percent cheaper here...about 6 months from now

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 12:12:19 AM »
Trying out the Nikkor 70-200 VR wide open @ 200mm on Fotga dumb adaptor.This will be an effective POV of 400mm.The room is under LED lights. I swear I will never do this again unless I see a bird that I like and a beautiful full moon during romantic nights. All handheld to test the IBIS. The MF assist PIP (picture in a picture) is quite OK. There is also a full picture assist. The focus peaking is not as substantial as the Sony's but when you get the hang of it, it helps.

I ended up eating the mango in the middle of the night and wash the dishes. I don't like eating junk foods.

I think to make life simple and enjoyable I have to get the panasonic leica summilux 15mm 1.7, panasonic leica 25mm 1.4 and Panasonic Leica Noctictron 42.mm 1.2. However, the pocket will suffer as those lenses are so expensive. To get the most of the mFT cameras, you need to stick a very good lens. Those leicas are beyond what I supposed to eat. I will have to make the most of the kit lens first.

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 12:12:07 AM »
After awhile days ago, the GX8 was sleeping in the dry cab. I have been so busy with a lot of things. Today as supposed to be a good day but suddenly the sky darkened and it rained cats and dogs:

I have to stay home but I am itching to try the unstabilized Olympus 45 1.8 on how it works with the IBIS of GX85

There is nothing I can do but look at window:

Some boring subject aside from my ever patient dogs:

A bowl of home made fish balls:

and vegetarian tikoy:

Then the night is about to come when the sun showed up in the horizon:

I have to test the Oly 45 1.8 some other time. I could have picked up the Panny 42.5 1.7 or even the Panny Leica 42.5 1.2. But the Oly 45 is a good deal that I got at almost 50% of the import price. I gassing to buy a lens for my Nikon, a small saving will help.

Some other time.

Offline romzL

• Insect chaser :D
  • PiPho Org Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 305
  • Camera: OMG
  • Field: Landscape
  • Nickname: romz
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 12:26:35 PM »
sharp nung mga shots using the 70-200 Doc! MF lahat yun? the 45mm 1.8 is a gem in the MFT. its quite cheap na din 2nd hand dito satin. i read reviews about the  Panny Leica 42.5 1.2 when i was still using my OMD and its definitely worth saving kaya lang masakit talaga sa bulsa hehe. i ended up getting some vintage lens :D
<< Insert wise quote here >>

Offline retina

• Global Moderator
  • Robot
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 10:10:09 PM »
Yes those w!ere mf and handheld with just a led light..a really slow shutter speed. It looks funny on small panny body. I was doubtful about the prospect of mf on panny ibis but the seamless touch screen plus the pip(picture in a picture) plus focus peaking makes it easier. In fact very enjoyable only to be confronted that it is so heavy. I rather do this on the d750. For me the essence of mft is portability. It may not give the best iq on poor lighting but it is a compromise that i can live with.I also realized that i cant give up my nikon system. Well as i am old to carry the weight tough decisions will be needed in the future. Perhaps i can retain the primes on nikon bodies that are 100mm and below. The zooms esp the long ones on mft.
The touch screen on gx85 is very functional and i wish my future body will have this. In fact i am looking forward for the fuji xt2 or the x-e3 to have a functional touch screen.

Yes the panny 5 axis ibis is very effective on my experimental shots.It is fully functioning on
even on mf lenses both on stills and 4k video.....this story will go on and i will update this when i have the time. I will buy lenses when i can see some good deals . However the nikon d750 remains as my main toy until nikon will have a fx sensor inside a bigger gx85 body. I can dream, can't i? sorry for some typos. I do most of the update using cell phone ...cheers.

Tags: