!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Invalid feed.

Recent Forum Posts

Что послушать посоветуете? by ThomasBicut
[June 15, 2019, 09:17:21 PM]

Fiber Optic Jobs Careers by Chandhan
[June 14, 2019, 12:19:16 AM]

Life in New York by lenslover
[June 13, 2019, 11:38:05 PM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by vvcarpio
[June 03, 2019, 09:01:42 PM]

Still Life by Luthor
[June 02, 2019, 03:53:59 PM]

Cityscapes + Architecture Photographs? Share Here by rarevision
[May 22, 2019, 03:09:20 PM]

~~Henry's Professional Trinoma~~ by richiepablo22
[May 20, 2019, 11:22:04 AM]

NEWBIE Q & A Thread: Newbies Ask, Experts Answer PART 2 by ken2
[April 08, 2019, 05:04:37 PM]

Ibat-ibang kababaihan... by rarevision
[March 29, 2019, 10:31:36 PM]

MOVED: new entry level full frame canon camera to be announced in october? by retina
[March 28, 2019, 07:08:05 PM]

Author Topic: Nikon D7000 - Go or No go?  (Read 9048 times)

Offline justinjovellanos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Nido Kid
  • Liked: 3
    • My Photographs
Nikon D7000 - Go or No go?
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »
I have been using a Nikon D80 for almost 6 years and I am happy to say it's a wonderful camera to use. It never failed me even under light rains and sub-freezing conditions.

However in recent months, high ISO performance is becoming an issue, prompting me to contemplate on upgrading to a new body.

I got my eyes on a Nikon D7000 body because the newer D7100 is a long stretch for me. A few reviews here in there - all praising how good the camera. BUT, I am now peeved about people complaining about the AF issues with this camera. Looks like I have to suspend my acquisition of the D7000 and look for more user insights.

Is the D7000 really a flawed camera? Or maybe those who complained had bad copies? Didn't properly understood how the D7000 AF works? Should I just save more and just go for the D7100 to save myself from worrying about AF issues?

All things set aside, if both the D7000 and D7100 had similar AF performance, I'll probably get the older camera because it saves me a few pesos that I can invest on a few GND and ND filters.

Your help and insights regarding my dilemma will be very much appreciated.  :)

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

Nikon D7000 - Go or No go?
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »

Offline retina

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 1046
  • Camera: Fujifilm
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: Nikon D750
  • Nickname: Doc A
Re: Nikon D7000 - Go or No go?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 06:06:19 PM »
I've been using the d7K since it was released. Maybe only a few of us has it now from the original ones who once raved for the d7k. I have no issues with the d7k...not that it is a perfect camera but I've learned to live with it. I also have different style with some of the shooters....maybe. I am using 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200VR2 with it. However, I use it most of the time with MF lenses. After borrowing the d7100 I found out that the d7100 has a better AF than the d7000. For the better AF alone I will pick up the d7100 anytime. It so happen that the AF of my d7000 is not an issue to me.I am sticking with for a little longer. So  for AF users, the AF is almost everything in a camera. It is the most important feature IMHO....save  more and shell out a little more cash for the d7.1K. That way you won't be looking back about your decision. Besides the D7.1K will give you long years of happy shooting. Good luck.

Offline raffy_eos7D

• "That in all things, God may be glorified."
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 85
  • GAS Addict
  • Camera: Olympus
  • Model: OMD
  • Nickname: Raffy
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:52:50 PM »
I think for the price of the d7000, It is worth every single penny. By the way, haven't you consider going mirrorless for a lighter set up?
| OMD | M. Zuiko 45mm 1.8 | Lumix 14mm 2.5 | Gordy's Camera Strap l  B+W F-PRO l Manfrotto BeFree  |

Offline justinjovellanos

• Nido Kid
    • My Photographs
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »
I've been using the d7K since it was released. Maybe only a few of us has it now from the original ones who once raved for the d7k. I have no issues with the d7k...not that it is a perfect camera but I've learned to live with it. I also have different style with some of the shooters....maybe. I am using 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200VR2 with it. However, I use it most of the time with MF lenses. After borrowing the d7100 I found out that the d7100 has a better AF than the d7000. For the better AF alone I will pick up the d7100 anytime. It so happen that the AF of my d7000 is not an issue to me.I am sticking with for a little longer. So  for AF users, the AF is almost everything in a camera. It is the most important feature IMHO....save  more and shell out a little more cash for the d7.1K. That way you won't be looking back about your decision. Besides the D7.1K will give you long years of happy shooting. Good luck.

Thank you for your answer, Sir Retina! Some say it was probably blown out of proportion by a few disappointed users, overwhelming the pros of the D7k.

Will consider the D7.1k! Hopefully I can stretch my savings for it. If not, then I no choice but to thoroughly test all the D7k units in Henry's Camera Shop until I get a 'good' copy. :D

Offline justinjovellanos

• Nido Kid
    • My Photographs
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »
I think for the price of the d7000, It is worth every single penny. By the way, haven't you consider going mirrorless for a lighter set up?

I know! It sells for P28500 for the body in Henry's Camera Shop in TriNoma. Good bargain, noh? Nasa 42k pag may 2-years CDSC warranty. I did thought about going light, but with a smaller body like the D3200. Kaya lang, I have lenses that needs a motorized body for its AF to work. I can't go mirrorless. If I did that, I have to dispose a lot of F-mount lenses.

Offline retina

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 1046
  • Camera: Fujifilm
  • Model: Nikon D750
  • Nickname: Doc A
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:28:17 PM »
My light setup Raff: x100s plus d7000 50G 1.4 plus 105mm MF Ais. The Dx lenses of Nikon are not that much bigger than some of the mirrorless, I think. But it does not mean I won't get a mirrorless later. Sure I will buy one when the prices will go down.

Offline pitbull

• Impeous Man
  • Trade Count: (42)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 1124
  • Patron ng mga Kolehiyala
    • Ang blog ng mga pogi
  • Camera: X20
  • Field: Landscape
  • Nickname: Ninong
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:42:21 AM »
go buy one. tatagal pa sa iyo yan :o :o :o

Offline raffy_eos7D

• Robot
  • GAS Addict
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »

I know! It sells for P28500 for the body in Henry's Camera Shop in TriNoma. Good bargain, noh? Nasa 42k pag may 2-years CDSC warranty. I did thought about going light, but with a smaller body like the D3200. Kaya lang, I have lenses that needs a motorized body for its AF to work. I can't go mirrorless. If I did that, I have to dispose a lot of F-mount lenses.

Wow 28.5k nalang pala d7000  :o last time i saw 30k pa sya. Hindi naman yata worth it na kunin yung d7000 na may CDSC warranty kasi hindi daw maganda service ng nikon dito satin.
| OMD | M. Zuiko 45mm 1.8 | Lumix 14mm 2.5 | Gordy's Camera Strap l  B+W F-PRO l Manfrotto BeFree  |

Offline justinjovellanos

• Nido Kid
    • My Photographs
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »

Wow 28.5k nalang pala d7000  :o last time i saw 30k pa sya. Hindi naman yata worth it na kunin yung d7000 na may CDSC warranty kasi hindi daw maganda service ng nikon dito satin.

Oo nga eh. Was also thinking kung worth it yung CDSC warranty. Almost 13k pero kasi yung additional cost. I bought my D80 6 years ago w/o a CDSC warranty and I don't regret it. For its 6 year life with me, never siya nag malfunction or anything, and it still functions well today!

Concern ko lang, paano kung yung nakuha ko na D7k may backfocus problems. Malaki siguro yung cost to get it fixed pag hindi CDSC. Kung maganda sana yung QC ng Nikon for the D7k, going for a non-CDSC body will be easy.

Offline raffy_eos7D

• Robot
  • GAS Addict
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 05:52:46 PM »

Oo nga eh. Was also thinking kung worth it yung CDSC warranty. Almost 13k pero kasi yung additional cost. I bought my D80 6 years ago w/o a CDSC warranty and I don't regret it. For its 6 year life with me, never siya nag malfunction or anything, and it still functions well today!

Concern ko lang, paano kung yung nakuha ko na D7k may backfocus problems. Malaki siguro yung cost to get it fixed pag hindi CDSC. Kung maganda sana yung QC ng Nikon for the D7k, going for a non-CDSC body will be easy.

I suggest kung 42k naman pala yung budget mo get a gray unit of the d7100 for 38k. I think the d7100 fixes the back focus problem on the d7000.

Offline rubber duckie

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 122
  • Field: Still Life
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 05:53:37 PM »
I am a previous D7000 user and experienced back focus problem with it. lalo na kung well lighted ang back ground.
pitik lang ng pitik!

Offline justinjovellanos

• Nido Kid
    • My Photographs
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 10:11:06 PM »

I suggest kung 42k naman pala yung budget mo get a gray unit of the d7100 for 38k. I think the d7100 fixes the back focus problem on the d7000.

Actually my budget can only stretch to the D7000's cost. :( I was really hoping I could save the money to be used for a possible D7100 purchase, and instead invest it on high quality NDs and GNDs.

Locked-on na talaga ako to get a D7000, then yun nga, it seems a lot of people are complaining about its horrible back-focus issues. Although according to my research, not all D7000 bodies exhibit the problem. Nevertheless, gamble siya for me.

If ever I do decide on the D7100, goodbye muna ako sa GNDs and NDs. Hehe. Ang hirap mag decide!

Offline justinjovellanos

• Nido Kid
    • My Photographs
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »
I am a previous D7000 user and experienced back focus problem with it. lalo na kung well lighted ang back ground.

Malala ba yung pag-back focus niya? Walang remedies?

Offline captain awesome

• Nido Kid
  • Liked: 11
  • awesomeness!
  • Camera: Nikon
  • Field: Portraiture
  • Model: D7000
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
my previous camera was a d7000.. never had issues with it.. i guess i got lucky i got a good copy.. my advise, set your target unit.. then learn to utilize its capabilities and not focus on its liabilities or sa mga bagay na di dya kaya gawin.. if it has issues, the find a way to avoid it.. you can never start shooting if you're looking for a perfect gear.  :)
shoot RAW

Offline pitbull

• Impeous Man
  • Robot
    • Ang blog ng mga pogi
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 10:53:53 PM »
never had problems with mine. daming lemon sa mga naunang D7000 dahil sa thailand ginawa. nilindol ang japan nagka tsunami pa tapos ginipit pa ng china ang japan sa rare earth minerals. sa mga batches ngayon dapat OK na. classic na yan. matagal tagal pa yan bago mapanis ang capabilities. i got mine really early and never experienced any problems with my unit. hindi ko din nakikita na papalitan ko ito any time soon. :o :o :o

Offline rubber duckie

• Robot
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 11:21:56 AM »
nagtry ako mag fine tune pero sablay pa din.. ito sample image, na share ko na ito dati. " mods sorry malaki ang image para lang makita ang problem."

ito yung tumama naman ang focus

settings d7000 with nikkor 24-70 ang sb900
1/200
iso 500
f4

pero baka mamaya tama ang sinabi ni sir pitbull na baka yung mga production ngayon medyo maayos na. ewan ko lang din. basta na turn off ako sa kanya.
pitik lang ng pitik!

Offline rubber duckie

• Robot
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »
ito pa ang isang sample image..
I focused on her left eye, pero mas sharp ang right eye nya.

D700 with 24-70, natural light
1/640
iso 200
f2.8

pero don't get me wrong ha.. minsan lang sya nag mimintis ng focus siguro mga 2 times in every 10-15 shots kapag maliwanag ang background, mostly dun ko sya na eexperience.

na turn off lang talaga kasi ako kasi may mga moments na hindi ko na pwede ibalik. hindi kasi ako marunong mag post process kasi mas prefer ko ang accurate focusing.
pitik lang ng pitik!

Offline pitbull

• Impeous Man
  • Robot
    • Ang blog ng mga pogi
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
check n alang siguro yung unit bago bilhin. i advise na pumunta na lang sa Watson at sabihin na kukuha ka ng D7000 pero test for focusing problems :o :o :o

Offline justinjovellanos

• Nido Kid
    • My Photographs
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 02:17:59 PM »
never had problems with mine. daming lemon sa mga naunang D7000 dahil sa thailand ginawa. nilindol ang japan nagka tsunami pa tapos ginipit pa ng china ang japan sa rare earth minerals. sa mga batches ngayon dapat OK na. classic na yan. matagal tagal pa yan bago mapanis ang capabilities. i got mine really early and never experienced any problems with my unit. hindi ko din nakikita na papalitan ko ito any time soon. :o :o :o

Oo nga eh. I assume high-quality na yung mga latest batches ng mga D7000. Hopefully if ever I go for a D7k, mga fresh stocks yung makuha ko and not those from early 2011.

I was also trying to research if I can determine the date of manufacturing through the serial numbers.

BTW, I visited your site. Love your photos!! Were those taken with your D7k? :)

Offline justinjovellanos

• Nido Kid
    • My Photographs
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
ito pa ang isang sample image..
I focused on her left eye, pero mas sharp ang right eye nya.

D700 with 24-70, natural light
1/640
iso 200
f2.8

pero don't get me wrong ha.. minsan lang sya nag mimintis ng focus siguro mga 2 times in every 10-15 shots kapag maliwanag ang background, mostly dun ko sya na eexperience.

na turn off lang talaga kasi ako kasi may mga moments na hindi ko na pwede ibalik. hindi kasi ako marunong mag post process kasi mas prefer ko ang accurate focusing.

Thank you for the sample images demonstrating the back focus issue! Kailan mo nakuha yang D7k mo?

Yung D80 ko, may konting backfocusing din eh, nakaka frustrate minsan pero I got used to it. Ginagawa ko na lang mag refocus.

Tags: D7000 nikon