!!

Hello Guest! Kumusta!

Thank you for visiting PiPho Forum!
It would be best if you will register so you can use the additional benefits of the community such as joining events, interacting with fellow members and view the hidden boards of the forum.

Mabuhay, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Classifieds Posts

Recent Forum Posts

Nikon D800e by planter
[May 20, 2018, 08:25:43 AM]

Reverse Lens Macro Shots by Fujiko
[May 17, 2018, 03:17:47 PM]

Jumping Spiders by Fujiko
[May 17, 2018, 03:16:24 PM]

NEWBIE Q & A Thread: Newbies Ask, Experts Answer PART 2 by moodless
[May 17, 2018, 12:36:07 PM]

D7000 with Flash and lenses by marenzio
[May 16, 2018, 02:56:22 AM]

Landscapes & Seascapes For All by pastilopez
[May 14, 2018, 01:28:13 PM]

Maternity shoot at home. DIY by denci0
[May 11, 2018, 12:39:11 PM]

iPhone or any mobile phone shots by pjflordeliz
[May 04, 2018, 01:49:29 AM]

Canon 7D 450D and some lenses with freebies by TigerLeo
[May 03, 2018, 10:44:09 PM]

Camera to complement your phone by Renetta
[April 26, 2018, 09:26:21 PM]

Author Topic: Keeping your gear safe in the Beach  (Read 8025 times)

Offline Paolo_Igama

• MD
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marie Biscuits
  • Liked: 0
  • Camera: Canon
  • Field: Landscape
  • Model: 5D Mark II
  • Nickname: Pao
Re: Keeping your gear safe in the Beach
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
Share ko lang...

Papunta kami ng camotes island yung cam at mga lente ko nka ziploc na plastic bags tpos nka goma pa. The water came splashing over the boat dahil may bagyo nun.

Luckily water proof po ang Crumpler Farmer's Double ko...hurray for Crumpler bags and ziplocs weheheh

Did the same thing on a trip to Boracay, I placed my camera and lens in a large Ziploc bag, but cut a hole, big enough for the lens hood to peep through.  I then placed rubber bands to keep the hole on the lens hood.  I'm still able to use my viewfinder, see my LCD, press my buttons, and have manual focus when needed.  When I'm not using my camera, I put the whole thing into another Ziploc bag with no holes.  Looks dorky when in use, but it works for me.  :)

Pinoy Photography - Philippines Online Photography Community

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »

Offline angelafotografia

• Marie Biscuits
  • Field: Portraiture
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 08:32:26 AM »
Ako naman po, i bought a Dicapac for DSLRS. Fitted yung camera with a standard zoom in it. Kahit hindi mo man gamitin for underwater, at least protected sya sa sand and (of course) splashes of water. Lalo sa Boracay, sands there are very fine. Mahirap na pag pinasok ang mga gild gilid ng lens.

Offline micoraven

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 118
  • Camera: Olympus
  • Field: Travel
  • Model: Olympus OM-D E-M10
  • Nickname: Mike
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 12:49:11 PM »
Ako naman po, i bought a Dicapac for DSLRS. Fitted yung camera with a standard zoom in it. Kahit hindi mo man gamitin for underwater, at least protected sya sa sand and (of course) splashes of water. Lalo sa Boracay, sands there are very fine. Mahirap na pag pinasok ang mga gild gilid ng lens.
Yep Dicapac is one of the relatively cheaper and safer choices (meron sa DPOnline). You can even attempt underwater photography with it. Kung natutubog sa tubig it will be safe against splashes and what have you.

Kahit kasi me plastic bag exposed pa din front element mo eh (water creeping possibility parang nabasang pantalon) and it will not be water tight so heavy splashes will still be a problem. Functionality may also be hindered especially with heavy water splash or wind kapag plastic/garbage bag lang tapos you want to shoot while on the boat.

Another alternative is Nereus sold in Digital Walker pero mas mahal to sa Dicapac IIRC.
Olympus OM-D E-M10 | Olympus 9-18mm | Olympus 12mm f2.0 | Olympus 14-42mm EZ pancake | Panasonic 14mm f2.5 | Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II | Olympus 45mm f1.8 | Olympus 40-150mm | Olympus Flash FS-FL36R | Sirui T-025 Carbon Fibre Tripod

Offline zando

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 8
  • Model: 5D Mark II
  • Nickname: Zando
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 11:59:48 PM »
I find the Dicapac underwater housing difficult to work with. It's an additional bulk, the buttons are difficult to operate and the zoom lens is also difficult to rotate. When snorkeling, it has lots of air that you can't even dunk the thing beyond the surface.  :(

Dry bags are the way to go. Nowadays, they come in backpacks, dedicated DSLR bags, etc. I'm a backpack person so the drycomp ridge sack of Outdoor research fits me perfectly. I'm a bit concern though that the dry fabric might tear from sharp edges. Field tested it thrice, so far so good.

I like my coffee black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love.

Offline micoraven

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Robot
  • Liked: 118
  • Camera: Olympus
  • Model: Olympus OM-D E-M10
  • Nickname: Mike
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 12:14:52 AM »
I find the Dicapac underwater housing difficult to work with. It's an additional bulk, the buttons are difficult to operate and the zoom lens is also difficult to rotate. When snorkeling, it has lots of air that you can't even dunk the thing beyond the surface.  :(

Dry bags are the way to go. Nowadays, they come in backpacks, dedicated DSLR bags, etc. I'm a backpack person so the drycomp ridge sack of Outdoor research fits me perfectly. I'm a bit concern though that the dry fabric might tear from sharp edges. Field tested it thrice, so far so good.

It is often advised to get a fixed FL prime when using Dicapac and similar housing preferebaly a wide lens or that which doesn't extend (IF). Bulky nga sya and gets a bit of getting used to to operate but the thing is it does lets you operate and shoot during any wet condition and possibly shoot a little on shallow water but this is not really for diving IMHO. Dry bags are good transport mediums but only for storage not for operational purposes. Yung TS kasi sabi niya gusto niya mag shoot sa boat or sandy or wet places eh and Dicapac lets you do that while protecting your gear all of the time.

As for dry bags madali lang naman malaman kung me tear eh. Just seal them up with some air inside and test if for air leaks kung meron then you're compromised. I bought cheaper ones made from "trapal" from sportshouse. Set me back around P500 per 20L very cheap and easy to replace if it tears but still hasn't for me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:22:53 AM by micoraven »
Olympus OM-D E-M10 | Olympus 9-18mm | Olympus 12mm f2.0 | Olympus 14-42mm EZ pancake | Panasonic 14mm f2.5 | Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II | Olympus 45mm f1.8 | Olympus 40-150mm | Olympus Flash FS-FL36R | Sirui T-025 Carbon Fibre Tripod

Offline digitalpimp

• Circulan
  • Liked: 87
  • 私の目からみた世界。
    • 私の目からみた世界。
  • Camera: Sony | Fujifilm
  • Model: A77 | A230iR | X20
  • Nickname: Nathan
Keeping your gear safe in the Beach
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 03:33:29 AM »
Dicapac.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk.

Offline zero_3

• PS3 Gamer
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Tocino + Rice
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 11:56:52 AM »
Gear ko nakarating na ng Puerto Galera at Puerto Princesa. Lagi ko dala gear ko at never ko iniwan sa room. Sa mga boat rides naman ay never ko sya nilalabas ( except sa underground river pero nilagyan ko sya ng plastic habang nasa ride kami. ) Ingat lang talaga katapat pero syempre kung may extra cash ako bibili ako ng lowepro dryzone kasi can't help na mag- alala pag nasa boat eh.

Offline ShowMeTheMoney

• I want a digital camera with no LCD on the back.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Circulan
  • Liked: 28
  • I shoot people.
    • I shoot people.
  • Nickname: Josh
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »
I usually just bring a dry bag, and I place my small camera bag inside when taking a small boat, or when dropping my bag on wet sand.

Otherwise, I place plastic bags with lots of silica inside my camera bag, and I just transfer my lenses inside the plastic if I think there's a chance of it getting wet (I use a camera bag with no 'weather resistance' at all, I once took it out in a slight drizzle and water seeped in easily.  Although most of the 'popular' bag manufacturers - Lowepro, Tenba etc.. usually use somewhat resistant materials even if a bag doesn't have an actual raincover)

If you don't like carrying your gear around, you can check out stuff like Pacsafe's camera gear protector >> link

Smallest I think is 25L, and you can get them at Rustan's and Henry's, and maybe some Travel Club stores.

But bottom line is, don't get saltwater on your gear, and don't worry about it too much.  Don't be scared to use your gear, most gear can take a beating.

Offline bmcasis

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Tocino + Rice
  • Liked: 5
  • Model: 5DMk2,400D
  • Nickname: Bong
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
Regarding traveling to places with water, salt or fresh water, the cheapest is to have several large garbage bags. On a boat, if the waves get to be too rough, just put your entire camera bag in the garbage bag. Presto instant water proof case. I do this often and you can have an instant rain cover for your camera. Just follow the tips in this thread on how to make one for your camera. I usually bring several rubber bands to fit the garbage bag more snugly around the camera. This is most useful when you go to the underground river in Peurto Princesa.

The bags used by divers are very good and more durable. I have used them and they can withstand rough handling. You just have to but a towel in it so that you can use it to wrap your camera. This serves as an added protection especially unexpected bumps. With this type of bags, you can get your camera easily by unrolling the bag. I use this when I go to rough terrain like caving in Sagada (again with my handy towel and also keeps my valuables like cellphone and ipod safe) .

I don't have any water proof camera bags...a little expensive for me when there are cheaper options. The dicapac case for dlsr can really protect your camera but shooting with these especially if you are snorkeling can be difficult. I have one and have used it only 3-4 times. Since it is easier to use a p and shoot with an underwater case, I just use this set-up when snorkeling.

One lesson I learned is to put the most versatile lens I have and just try not to change lens when in a beach or on a boat. The elements are too unpredictable. Dust and water can get into you camera while changing lenses. This happened to me (dust I mean) and my shots after this incident had dark spots on it for the rest of my trip. Had to have it cleaned professionally when I got back.

Offline Adrian Jose

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Ovalteenees
  • Liked: 2
    • Adrian Checa Photography
  • Field: Landscape
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 04:54:37 PM »
I carry a big plastic bag then binabalot ko sa loob ng almost 3 times yung camera hanggang may mahawakan.  Ginagamit ko lang kapag safe na yung position ko.

Tags: